Flexeril

[...]

Is Flexeril ok?  It does not hit benzo receptors.  I am trying to get crossed to Valium and it has been difficult.  My doctor recommendd Flexeril to help sleep and help my muscle pain at night from my disc degeneration in my back.  Since it does not hit benzo receptors is this ok?  Thanks

Does anybody have anything else to say about Flexeril?  My family dr who is trying to help me told me its practically a tryciclic antidepressant and will help me sleep.  it does not hit GABA.  I need some advice here?  And I don't need the "don't take anything" stuff, because I have underlyling severe anxiety and depression that DOES need treated.  He said Flexeril was originally designed as an antidepressant but found it worked better as a muscle relaxer, so the company used it for that back in the 70's or whenever it came out.  Please somebody provide some advice, thanks.

I was given flexeril many times while being treated for degenerative disc disease.  It was also given to me after certain procedures such as radiofrequency nerve ablation.  Your doc is correct, it affects serotonin levels and was marketed as an antidepressant originally.  I was on benzos while taking the flexeril and didn't have any ill effects from it.  I didn't like it because it made me really drowsy and foggy so I could only take it at night in very small doses.

I'm with Pianogirl. I was prescribed Flexeril a couple months ago for back spasms relating to thyroid disease.  I was exceedingly hesitant to take them but the pain won over (and Pianogirl's assurances lol)  and I took them solidly for a good week (3X a day) and they made a huge difference.

WWWI

Thank you for the responses.  He wants me to take it once a day at night 10mg.  As an off label antidepressant for sleep, but yes I can't take it in the daytime either, too tired.  I have only taken a couple of times because I wanted to get some feedback on here. 

Oh my, Pianogirl and WWWI, you are both tripping my triggers. I now have such bad spinal pain I can hardly stand anymore  and am wondering about disc degeneration. Do you know what caused yours?

And WWWI, I also have TERRIBLE back and right ribcage spasms AND thyroid issues. I had no clue these can be related. Can you tell me more?  I don't understand the connection.

I believe I will whip out my Flexeril script and give it a try tonight. That beats mertazapine or more benzo, right? I took Flexeril once a good while back and it was GREAT at night, then the next night I woke up nauseous from it. But I can probably keep that in control by intermittent use and low doses?

Md40, I hope you get good relief. Thanks for reinvigorating this thread.

Oh my, Pianogirl and WWWI, you are both tripping my triggers. I now have such bad spinal pain I can hardly stand anymore  and am wondering about disc degeneration. Do you know what caused yours?

And WWWI, I also have TERRIBLE back and right ribcage spasms AND thyroid issues. I had no clue these can be related. Can you tell me more?  I don't understand the connection.

I believe I will whip out my Flexeril script and give it a try tonight. That beats mertazapine or more benzo, right? I took Flexeril once a good while back and it was GREAT at night, then the next night I woke up nauseous from it. But I can probably keep that in control by intermittent use and low doses?

Heya Onelove,

I have Graves' (hyperthyroid) and was on methamazol and without fail, when ever they adjusted my thyroid meds, my back would go into spasm for a good week.  To be honest I don't know the connection, I just know that it would appear like clockwork after a med change, hang in for a solid week and then POOF ...be gone.  My doc says it's not thyroid or thyroid med related, but they also said that about my hair falling out, hot flashes, and sudden weight loss which are all thyroid related, so I no longer put much stock in what my doctor says is or isn't thyroid or thyroid med related.

I don't remember flexeril having a big impact on sleep for me however, but not a lot works for me in that capacity.

What's going on with your thyroid?

HI Onelove,

Degeneration of the discs mainly just comes from wear and tear.  Some people are more prone to it depending on their genetics and life style.  I'm fairly certain mine came from both of those.  I think the wear and tear from the various sports I play contributed.  You can live with DDD for years with no symptoms. Mine progressed to nerve damage at C-7 and I was losing strength in my left arm. Not so good for a pianist. That is why I had the fusion surgery. 

I am super sensitive to medications so I would take 1/4 to 1/2 of a 10mg tablet. 

Heya Onelove,

I have Graves' (hyperthyroid) and was on methamazol and without fail, when ever they adjusted my thyroid meds, my back would go into spasm for a good week.  To be honest I don't know the connection, I just know that it would appear like clockwork after a med change, hang in for a solid week and then POOF ...be gone.  My doc says it's not thyroid or thyroid med related, but they also said that about my hair falling out, hot flashes, and sudden weight loss which are all thyroid related, so I no longer put much stock in what my doctor says is or isn't thyroid or thyroid med related.

I don't remember flexeril having a big impact on sleep for me however, but not a lot works for me in that capacity.

I am (or was, at least) hypothyroid with a very large nodule filling most of my left lobe and 5 cysts in my right lobe. Back in early January when I was forced to change prescribing docs because my dear friend who is a Functional Medicine MD specializing in women's health was diagnosed with multiple myeloma  :'(and is no longer practicing  :-[. The new doc, without doing blood tests, tripled my dose and changed from slow release T3 T4 combo to levothyroxin. I lost about 30 pounds in the next 3 months and was prescribed Ativan for never-before experienced issues. I'm STILL trying to get this ironed out. I am also at high risk due to over exposure to radiation of the head and neck from age 14-16. Fun fun.

HI Onelove,

Degeneration of the discs mainly just comes from wear and tear.  Some people are more prone to it depending on their genetics and life style.  I'm fairly certain mine came from both of those.  I think the wear and tear from the various sports I play contributed.  You can live with DDD for years with no symptoms. Mine progressed to nerve damage at C-7 and I was losing strength in my left arm. Not so good for a pianist. That is why I had the fusion surgery. 

I am super sensitive to medications so I would take 1/4 to 1/2 of a 10mg tablet.

I would say that this just confirms my thinking as to why I have maintained a sedentary life style <grin>.  But as a result of an auto accident my C4 and C5 (I think) are now herniated.  So it is probably wise to actually have an active lifestyle ultimately lol.  How is your shoulder doing PG?

Heya Onelove,

I am (or was, at least) hypothyroid with a very large nodule filling most of my left lobe and 5 cysts in my right lobe. Back in early January when I was forced to change prescribing docs because my dear friend who is a Functional Medicine MD specializing in women's health was diagnosed with multiple myeloma  :'(and is no longer practicing  :-[. The new doc, without doing blood tests, tripled my dose and changed from slow release T3 T4 combo to levothyroxin. I lost about 30 pounds in the next 3 months and was prescribed Ativan for never-before experienced issues. I'm STILL trying to get this ironed out. I am also at high risk due to over exposure to radiation of the head and neck from age 14-16. Fun fun.

That's surprising that going from combined T4/T3 to Levo you actually lost weight.  Sounds like it's been pretty intense.  I hope you can get the thyroid stuff resolved soon.

Hi-

No, no, no to Elavil (amitriptyline). I am not a chemist or pharmacist, but I do know, after taking amitriptyline for 11 years what that is like. As I stated in one of my prior posts, it is an "oldie but not a goodie"!  Those tricyclics are dangerous...mess with the QT interval of your heart rhythm, combined with benzos, many other meds are VERY DANGEROUS.  I got up to 75 mg amitriptyline QHS (prescribed for nerve pain and to allow me to sleep), helped very well with both issues as it knocked me out!!! Side effects; YES, dry mouth, weight gain, sunlight sensitivity (got rashes).  Flexeril I have been prescribed maybe 3 - 4 times in my life for muscle spasms as it is a muscle relaxant. For me, it did have sedative qualities, hence the "relaxation."  But only used it until the muscle spasms issue passed.  I was told by a friend who happed to be an M.D. that "back in the day", not so much anymore with all the other crap out there, that the tricyclics were a big factor in E.R. O.D's.  They are not too popular anymore. I believe they were first prescribed, when I started amitriptyline in the early 1980's, for the off label use treating nerve/muscle pain.  Please don't go down the road with Elavil (amitriptyline).  Keep us posted. ;D

Is Flexeril ok?  It does not hit benzo receptors.  I am trying to get crossed to Valium and it has been difficult.  My doctor recommendd Flexeril to help sleep and help my muscle pain at night from my disc degeneration in my back.  Since it does not hit benzo receptors is this ok?  Thanks

My wife takes Flexeril for arthritis. It really helps her pain. She is not on any benzo however.

I have taken Flexeril off and on for years for fibromyalgia/sleep. I wish when I was having sleep issues last fall I had upped my dose from 10 mg to 20 mg and not started Lunesta. I have not ever had any issues with stopping Flexeril. It still helps with sleep quality for me, but does not make me sleepy anymore.

I would say that this just confirms my thinking as to why I have maintained a sedentary life style <grin>.  But as a result of an auto accident my C4 and C5 (I think) are now herniated.  So it is probably wise to actually have an active lifestyle ultimately lol.  How is your shoulder doing PG?

You crack me up.  I have some issues with my low back as well, they just don't make these bodies the way they used to.  :-\  When I had my first mri the spine doctor asked if I was a gymnast. I said sure, wanna see my gold medals?  ;D

The shoulder is OK, the mri showed continued inflammation and bursitis but no damage. I was worried the doc would say that I needed something else fixed.  He is concerned that the shoulder pain could be referred from the neck, so I had an xray and the fusion looks good.  To be thorough I have to have an mri.  I'm so tired of tests.....  Anyway, he thinks its just the muscles reacting from being unused and compensating.  He suggested Rolfing, ever heard of it?

Sorry to get off topic here.  :)

Pianogirl, I have been rolfed a lot over the years.  Back in 1987 I had my first set of 10 sessions done to fix a lower back problem and it worked!  Over the years since then I've had some additional advanced sessions and tune ups. 

Here's some info from www.rolf.org:

Rolfing® Structural Integration

A form of hands-on manipulation and movement education developed by Ida P. Rolf over 50 years ago, Rolfing Structural Integration works on a web-like complex of connective tissues to release, realign and balance the whole body, thus potentially resolving discomfort, reducing compensations and alleviating pain. Rolfing SI aims to restore flexibility, revitalize your energy and leave you feeling more comfortable in your body.

Rolfing Structural Integration may enhance your posture and freedom of movement. It is not necessarily painful, and may bring dramatic results, including . . .

Injury recovery, including repetitive motion

Pain reduction, including back pain

Stress relief

Increased flexibility

Headache relief

Better balance and ease

Rolfing Structural Integration is also an excellent foundation for and complement to yoga, pilates and other personal wellness practices.

Hi MD40,

You asked about Elavil.....I am on Elavil and  tapering it down (from 10 mg to 3 mg now).My dose was low so i didnt have much of side effects which are dry mouth,weight gain and heart rate change,however i read that many people have all this while on Elavil and that is why they hate it.Also its hard to get off ( and especially in benzo withdrawal) ,so if you decide to discontinue taking it you will have to slowly taper,i dont know if Flexeril has similar side effects.Elavil helped me sleep after i jumped off benzo,didnt help much with anxiety,maybe just a little.I was feeling drowsy all the time on 10 mg.

J

Pianogirl, I have been rolfed a lot over the years.  Back in 1987 I had my first set of 10 sessions done to fix a lower back problem and it worked!  Over the years since then I've had some additional advanced sessions and tune ups. 

Here's some info from www.rolf.org:

Rolfing® Structural Integration

A form of hands-on manipulation and movement education developed by Ida P. Rolf over 50 years ago, Rolfing Structural Integration works on a web-like complex of connective tissues to release, realign and balance the whole body, thus potentially resolving discomfort, reducing compensations and alleviating pain. Rolfing SI aims to restore flexibility, revitalize your energy and leave you feeling more comfortable in your body.

Rolfing Structural Integration may enhance your posture and freedom of movement. It is not necessarily painful, and may bring dramatic results, including . . .

Injury recovery, including repetitive motion

Pain reduction, including back pain

Stress relief

Increased flexibility

Headache relief

Better balance and ease

Rolfing Structural Integration is also an excellent foundation for and complement to yoga, pilates and other personal wellness practices.

eglong!!

Thank you so much for this information!!! . I have been reading about Rolfing and it sounds like something I would find beneficial. After 2 shoulder surgeries and 1 neck surgery I think my structural balance not where it should be. Its really helpful to hear from someone who has actually used this technique. I am going to contact a practitioner next week. For a small person, I'm actually pretty strong so its easy for me to compensate with my muscles, I'm pretty certain that is what I did when my shoulder was hurting for so long.  Again, thank you!!

pianogirl  :smitten: