Hello.. Has anyone ever taken Topomax?

[ma...]

Hi my name is mandy. My doctor prescribed Topomax for my migraines, and I am afraid to take it since i have had other bad incidents with medication. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with it?

There are meds specifically for migraines so I'm wondering why your doc prescribed topomax.  I took it years ago for bipolar disorder.  Eventually it temporarily destroyed my short-term memory (it started returning when I was off).  There's a reason it's sometimes called "dope-a-max"!

I have taken topomax for 2 different reasons, headaches and weight.  Caused brain fog and temp. memory loss.  Sorry your hurting,  head issues stink :'(

lil

It isn't physically addictive although you cannot stop it cold turkey.  It is in the category of anti-convulsants.  One of the sites I like for info about psych meds is crazymeds.us.  They won't try to sell you anything and everything is written for regular people rather than doctors.  When I checked out topomax there, I saw seveal references to it being prescribed for migraines at 25mg I think. I takes 4 days to build up in your system.  Also, if you are on birth control pills, you should check with your ob/gyn before taking topomax.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...