Menstrual Cycle

[ca...]

Hi everyone,

I just joined the forum here, and am glad to have found a community that can perhaps help me with this withdrawal. I didn't realize the fire I was playing with when I began taking klonopin!

I've been off it entirely for six months now, and my menstrual cycle remains completely abnormal. I didn't menstruate at all for the four months following my last dose in February, and then finally had a very light period in July. That made me hopeful that my cycle has finally returned, but last month I just BARELY had some spotting. I guess we'll see what happens this month.

Have any other ladies had such experiences? If so, how long did it take for your pituitary gland to begin to properly receive the signal again?

(Assuming that it is a pituitary/hypothalamus issue, of course... I am currently pursuing neurofeedback therapy for my epilepsy, which of course got worse in the midst of this benzo withdrawal, and it was my therapist who suggested that it may be an issue with the signal not reaching the pituitary gland.)

I did not get my menses for 6 monthes. Idk

Why this happened but it with everything else

Considered my doc confirmed it was from my

Body being so out of wack bc of benzo's. He was able to get my

Cycle going again by taking Premarin and and estrogen

Pills for 10 days. It took two tries but, it did eventually

Return. Hope this helps.

Have you considered trying acupressure ? There's a point on the calf that causes a woman to start her cycle, as well as points for regulating the pituitary hypothalamus thyroid adrenals.its not expensive either . Source : I've had my menstrual cycle started by acupressure multiple times . Acupressure is no needles btw :)

Glad to hear that someone else at least has experienced this, Molly... and if it was just six months for you, then hopefully mine will straighten out soon, seeing as I got off the klonopin in February.

And no, Sleeping beauty, I haven't tried the acupressure... good to know about, though. My acupuncturist has  put needles above my uterus before, and that seemed to be helpful in bringing on my super-light July period... I will ask about these calf spots of which you speak!

Yes, my periods got very irregular during my last withdrawal. I am in my 40's so it doesn't take much at this age.

I marked it up to stress. Once I was stabilized on valium they returned to normal.

my cycle hasn't been here since last Feb. i am worried but i also am only 87lbs still. i just can't seem to gain weight. and no i am not eating a whole bunch but i'm not eating a whole little either if that makes sense. i do also think it's a pituitary signal that is not getting accessed.

one of my main symptoms was lactating from my left nipple and i am not pregnant. now if that isn't cross wires i don't know what is. i do know that i will get my cycle back on day. i am too also glad to see other ladies with this problem so as to not feel so alone. especially when it comes to feminine issues like this.

i wonder why women don't get their period if they are so underweight? anyone know this?

Prettydaisys, we can hope together that our periods that haven't been here since February arrive someday soon! (you do mean February 2013 when you say "last Feb.," right?)

And Workin', may I ask, for how long did you have to deal with an irregular cycle?

And I should add, thanks for the continued feedback... it really is comforting to hear that this is not terribly unusual, and that others have recovered from it!!

About 3 months I think, that was during and after an attempted detox. Once I stabilized on valium things got back to normal and I've been regular the past couple of cycles.

Prettydaisys, we can hope together that our periods that haven't been here since February arrive someday soon! (you do mean February 2013 when you say "last Feb.," right?)

yes, last Feb 2013. i guess we are on the same cycle. i know my cycle will come back if i could just gain some weight. how much do you weigh? it's also got to be a pituitary thing.

I weigh about 130 lbs. these days. I can't say for sure, as I don't have a scale anywhere around. I think 130 is a safe estimate though. Sort of on the lighter side, for me. I work out a lot, and so a good chunk of that is muscle. I am relatively low on fat right now -- compared to phases of chubbiness that I've gone through in the past -- but have been lighter than this in the past, and still menstruating on a normal monthly cycle. I believe that in my case, it is primarily a pituitary thing.

God, i wish i was 130lbs. i need to at least be between 120-125 lbs. i am 5'4" and 87 lbs is just to little. i can't seem to gain weight. i know it's got to be from all that my brain is still doing from the cold turkey i did 17 months ago. my brain is still revved up and has thee vibrations. it's better than ever but it's still going like the energizer bunny. i can't wait to receive my period again. my doctor says i am menopausal. i am near that age but since he see's the numbers are so low.

i asked him, 'you mean you don't think this could have anything to do with the fact that i did a cold turkey from lot's of benzo's 17 months ago and i'm only 87 lbs?" and of course he said i should be feeling better from this within 2 weeks but then he did say 'well, maybe, i guess you could not get a period from that but after 17 months" ? it's taking a long time for me. i was on a large amount for a long time but i am finally healing from this!

My obgyn said I couldnt take bc pills because they wouldnt work while on benzos. He said it has to do with the liver. He said it won't process it right and would be ineffective. Idk if that has anything to do with abnormal periods, but I think it does. Hth!

I got my period yesterday! And it seems to be off to a heavy-flowing start... so, maybe this one will be an actual period, unlike last month's... Yay! Maybe this is a sign that I am recovering! (It does seem that I am on some sort of five-week, rather than four-week, cycle though... :/)

that's great catwoman!

i still have yet to get mine. but i am still only 87lbs. i really hope that has something to do with it. i should be over 100lbs.