Challenging troubling thoughts

[Be...]

Some years ago I read a book that helped me and thought it might help some of you.  It's a method for challenging those thoughts that don't contribute to our well-being.  It's in the book "Loving What Is: Four Questions That Can Change Your Life" by Byron Katie and the method is referred to as "The Work".  In its simplest form, it consists of applying 4 questions to every belief/thought that is giving you trouble.

1. Is it true?

2. Can I absolutly know it's true?

3. How do I feel when I think that thought?

4. Who/what would I be without that thought?.

There are lots of personal stories and examples to get you going. I think it's a really good method for challenging unhelpful or obsessive thoughts.

The first section in the book (after the intro) is entitled: "Noticing when your thoughts argue with reality."  (Don't you sometimes wonder how to tell what is real? I do.)

I think this is a very easy book to read and apply to any individual and whatever is troubling them.  Check your library,  bookstore or online.  Here is a bit more I found online about "The Work":

"What is The Work?

The Work is a simple yet powerful process of inquiry that teaches you to identify and question thoughts that cause all the suffering in the world. It's a way to understand what's hurting you, and to address your problems with clarity.

People who do The Work as an ongoing practice report life-changing results.

Alleviation of depression: Find resolution, and even happiness, in situations that were once debilitating.

Decreased stress: Learn how to live with less anxiety or fear.

Improved relationships: Experience deeper connection and intimacy with your partner, your parents, your children, your friends, and yourself.

Reduced anger: Understand what makes you angry and resentful, and become less reactive, less often, with less intensity.

Increased mental clarity: Live and work more intelligently and effectively, with integrity.

More energy: Experience a new sense of ongoing vigor and well-being.

More peace: Discover how to become "a lover of what is."

I don't always "love" what is as it instructs but at least have found acceptance of what is.  It has decreased my mental suffering a lot over the years and I hope it will help some of you.  :)