Delayed Symptoms Normal?

[kl...]

Hi Everybody?

I took 1.5mg Klonopin for 2 years. 

(starting tapering 9 weeks ago)

Week 1-2: Decreased to 1.25 mg

Week 3-4: Decreased to 1.0 mg

Week 5: Slight symtoms. Decide to maintain at 1.0 mg cause of problems at  work. Doc approved.

Week 6: (still at 1.0 mg)  Symtoms hit. But last only a few days.

Week 7: (still at 1.0 mg) Most symtoms recede, except fatigue and headache.

Week 8: (still at 1.0 mg) BAM! Symptoms hit like a ton of bricks!!

Week 9: (still at 1.0 mg) Symptoms haven't receded. They get a little better and a little worse, but the past 7 days has been "hell week"

I thought it had to be something besides w/d because of the delay and the fact I'm still on 2/3 my original dosage. Also there is a new sypmtom, a burning sensation in my limbs that I hadn't felt before. I checked Webmd.com and I thought I had MS or some neurological disease. That site will have you believe you're already dead.

Is this delayed reaction normal?

Is maintaining at a lower dose worse than tapering on to the end?

Could the MAOI I take increase the effects?

Should I see a neurologist just in case?

THANK YOU and THANKS FOR THIS GREAT WEBSITE!

I quit smoking 3 years ago. That was NOTHING compare to this!

[f8...]
Normal? They seem to be the general rule! I've been off for almost two months and I've been on a roller coaster of symptoms that come and go. It will get better - that's what I keep telling myself. :)

Hi KP,

Have you read the Ashton Manual?  It explains a great deal and yes, what you're going through is very common.  Many times when you get to the lower levels the bricks start falling.  You've been holding at 1mg for 4 weeks?  It looks like you need to cut again, when you hold to long the wd gets worse.

Everything you're experiencing is normal (yeah, I know, what normal about it?  :crazy:) wd symptoms.  Seeing a dr. is something you would have to decide but honestly I think it's all wd.  I went through the MS testing for the same reason and all was well, except I was in wd and there was nothing they could do about it. :(

Thanks guys!

I just needed to hear that it was common. My doctor, who gave me klonopin in the first place, basically told me I couldn't be experiencing klonopin withdrawal if I was tapering so slowly. I said, "It better damn well be the klonopin or else I'm dying of some horrible disease!"

Why haven't I seen specials on 20/20 or nightline regarding this?

And what if I switch over to Crack first and than taper from that? Would that be easier?    :)

BTY, I've been planning a weeklong vacation, to relax, to get away from my problems, you know, in the mountains, a cabin by the lake, been looking forward to it since January, pretty much all I've thought about, made reservations, deposit, took the time off, etc.

It's starts in 2 weeks. Should I cancel? I can't enjoy anything like this.  Or maintain current dose and hope for the best? Or decrease dose and hope for the best? Or increase dose and enjoy my vacation but have to deal with this again afterwards?

Wow, this is my life now!

Thanks for the Ashton Manual tip, I just printed it out!

And you guys really help a lot of people. That must feel good.

[f8...]

Don't cancel!!!  :tickedoff:

Seriously, while the thought of not being able to enjoy it may weight heavily on you, it is GOOD to get away and you will enjoy it. You just need to remind yourself of one important thing:

These are all SYMPTOMS. Nobody ever got hurt from a symptom. They are bothersome, they are annoying and GOD knows they're frightening, but if you let them control you, you will never be able to move on. Use the time off as a distraction and take some time to breathe easier - vacation will be good. :)

And you could hold the dose if you feel more comfortable.

A lot of people feel better on vacation.  I've been through this a couple of times myself and have always felt better for going.  It's seems the symptoms get easier when we are away and able to get distracted.  

Your trip is 2 weeks away and you've alread been holding for 4 so I would say cut.  If you feel really bad in 2 weeks then you can decide what to do then.  

Actually, if you had become addicted to crack wd would be easier.  Doesn't seem fair does it?  :tickedoff:

"just needed to hear that it was common. My doctor, who gave me klonopin in the first place, basically told me I couldn't be experiencing klonopin withdrawal if I was tapering so slowly. I said, "It better damn well be the klonopin or else I'm dying of some horrible disease!"

Why haven't I seen specials on 20/20 or nightline regarding this?"

I said the same thing to my doc!

[0f...]

Hi, Missy,

I felt really horrible holding at a dose too long.  Started feeling better when I tapered every few days.  Doctors are not informed very well of tapering off these horrible meds.  Following you along, Missy. 

Patty

God, thank you klonopurge!  I am going through a very similar situation, and its extremely comforting to know that I am not alone in this scary world of wd.

I have been tapering from .5 mg klono (15 months on .5mg, time to get off!) down to current doseage of .375 mg.  I have been stuck at .375mg for 36 days, and the withdrawal symptoms are bad (bad insomnia, anxiety etc).  Question for everyone, about 8 days ago (26 days into the .375 doseage), on the bad advice of my therapist, I took 1 mg of klono to 'catch up' on sleep; did this one time 1 mg dose ruin my taper, effectively 'resetting' my brain biochemically so that I need to start from the original dose of .5 mg and start all over again with the taper process?  The last 8 days after that 1 mg dose I have felt an increase in anxiety.  Did I blow it? 

I noticed that tropicalsoul stated that staying at a particular doesage actually makes wd symptoms worse.  I thought I was playing it safe by staying at .375mg but I'm a mess.  Why aren't therapists better trained on basic stuff like this?

Also, I really need to know how to interact with this site; someone from this site last week offered some really helpful advice (CJ?) and I don't know enough about blogging to know how to respond to that particular person.  Yeah, I know, I'm a total computer dork.  Are there basic instructions as to how to navigate within this site.

God, thank you klonopurge!  I am going through a very similar situation, and its extremely comforting to know that I am not alone in this scary world of wd.

I have been tapering from .5 mg klono (15 months on .5mg, time to get off!) down to current doseage of .375 mg.  I have been stuck at .375mg for 36 days, and the withdrawal symptoms are bad (bad insomnia, anxiety etc).  Question for everyone, about 8 days ago (26 days into the .375 doseage), on the bad advice of my therapist, I took 1 mg of klono to 'catch up' on sleep; did this one time 1 mg dose ruin my taper, effectively 'resetting' my brain biochemically so that I need to start from the original dose of .5 mg and start all over again with the taper process?  The last 8 days after that 1 mg dose I have felt an increase in anxiety.  Did I blow it? 

I noticed that tropicalsoul stated that staying at a particular doesage actually makes wd symptoms worse.  I thought I was playing it safe by staying at .375mg but I'm a mess.  Why aren't therapists better trained on basic stuff like this?

Also, I really need to know how to interact with this site; someone from this site last week offered some really helpful advice (CJ?) and I don't know enough about blogging to know how to respond to that particular person.  Yeah, I know, I'm a total computer dork.  Are there basic instructions as to how to navigate within this site.

Hi, Orange.  Glad you are still checking us out and finding support for your taper.  Here's a link to some basic instructions:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=5869.0

Not sure if this is covered there, but I always start my visit to the board by clicking on "Show unread posts since your last visit".  It's a link toward the upper right. Or, if you just want to see if there have been replies to your post, you could click on the link underneath.

It would help if you would start a new topic/thread in the Welcome to the Forum board or in General Withdrawal Support.  You can put the relevant info there about your situation so it will be handy and you can find it again.  I noticed you previously posted on the Insomnia board about B vitamins and sleep trouble.  That's good for that topic but you probably have other questions as well.

First, a single dose of 1 mg klonopin has NOT ruined your taper.  The blood level of k. will soon return to what is was before.  That being said, if you do that several times a week, it will throw your body for a loop.

I do think that you have been holding too long and are experiencing tolerance withdrawal.  This happens when you are still taking the drug but it no longer provides any relief.  I assume you are dry cutting your pills to reduce your dose; cutting a .5mg pill in quarters, right? If you want to continue that way instead of switching to titration, you could drop another 1/4 piece and be down to .25mg.  Hold that for up to 2 weeks and then cut again.

Sometimes it is hard to tell if a further reduction would make you feel better but, when you've held so long and feel so bad, I would say it's time to take the plunge.  What do you think?

Thank you for the support Beeper.

Currently my method of taper is a .03125mg reduction every 3 - 4 weeks; up until today there have been times I have been chopping those little .5mg klono pills into 1/16 of a pill to achieve such a small reduction amount (very time-consuming!)  I am open to input, as I am now wondering if I am doing too gradual of a taper?  The Ashton manual suggested a taper amount of .05mg, so I thought I was playing it safe by minimizing that taper amount just a little more.  Maybe not a good idea.

Today I will receive a script from a compounding pharmicist for klono tablets in the amount of .34375mg (the next .03125mg dose reduction) so no more cutting tiny bits of pills apart, LOL.  Wondering if 4 weeks of that doseage will be too gradual.  Input?

And, what is titration?

I'm glad you have a compounding pharmacist working out your dosage.  I can't imagine cutting those pills into 1/16ths!

Titration is a way of reducing your dosage slowly but frequently by mixing the benzo in milk or water and reducing the amount of liquid you drink.  Klonopin comes in a liquid form I think so that would be easy to mix as well.  Here's where Colin explains about Titration Tapers:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=6393.0

I think it is possible to taper too slowly and develop intolerance.  Continuing to feel bad or even worse can be an indication of this. I believe Dr. Ashton's taper amount (.05 mg; I'll take your word for it) was for valium, not klonopin. 

Please start a thread of your own so all the information you get and ask for will be where everyone can find it, okay?

Thanks Beeper, I appreciate the input and I will start a new thread related to this topic when I gain access to the internet again tomorrow.  Thanks again!