HOW TO KNOW WHEN U NEED TO BE ADMITTED TO THE HOSIPITAL?

[Mr...]

Hello, I've been tapering my 5 mg valium very slow dropped .5mg over about 20 days....only sleep 4 hours per day, now major headaches all day, feel like I got a body flu, can't speak to customers on the phone, can't drive well, and I'm still taking valium, so much WD already....  Been withdraw tolerance since Jan of this year.... My doctor yesterday told me they could admit me and try different meds on me.....I just can't live a year like this......cold chills, can barely think or talk, just staring in a daze like a zombie..... Afraid of what I could do at this point..... Just don't know myself any more...... Yesterday was ok and today is like dying mentally..... Please any ones ideas or support would save me or give me hope... I sure am desperate right now.......please thank you Mr scared Ottawa, Canada.

Mr scared,

I too am extremely sick right now.  The physical and mental pain is horrific.  But here is what keeps me going...I know I am going to recover some day.  It is complete blind faith I know, but it is what sustains me.  We have to go through this in order to get well.  And you are going to recover, even though that is impossible to see right now.  Continue with your taper and never look back.  And no amount of any other medications are going to help you, they will just make you sicker in the long run.  Remember, "the only way out is through".

[03...]

So many posts cite increased w/d sx around 5mg and below. Many people have to turn to additional meds for assistance like Gabapentin and Oxytocin. I'm not sure I would want to allow myself to be hospitalized when there are still take at home meds that can be tried. Unless the doctor is talking about Flumentizil (spelled it wrong) which requires 24 hour IV drip for 4-7 days. I myself would tend to avoid hospital because I don't know if they are going to make things worse. Your doctor doesn't even sound like he has a solid plan for you other than to just admit you and start experimenting. For me, this would raise red flags. I personally would stay home unless I was so sick I could no longer care for myself or had a medical emergency (appendicitis, myocardial infarction), or was avidly suicidal. I suppose it is possible that many details about this proposed hospitalization are missing from your post. Ultimately, the decision is yours to make. If you sincerely think this is the absolute only thing that will help you right now, then only you can make that decision. Has he said what part of the hospital you'll be in? If it is the psych ward, then be aware of the high degree of probability

that they will try to use a lot of psychotropic drugs on you. I can hack the psych ward for about 48 hours max, then I crawl the walls and beg to be discharged. I am happier crawling the walls in the comfort of my own home. I would find out EXACTLY what his plan is before you decide to be admitted. I would discuss other options. But, that is just me. This is your decision. Remember, this part of the taper is very tough going, sometimes you just have to hang on and walk through the fire to get to the other side. Other buddies are likely going to post and tell you this. No one gets through this Scot free...we all have to face the day where we just have to hang in there and endure. Is this your time of tribulation? Hospital may just mess up everything for you. 

I am currently going through Xanax w/d for the past month so I know exactly how you feel.  I think that everyday during w/d feels different then the previous day, and w/d symptoms vary in intensity according to what is happening to you that day.  I for one do not have the luxury  of staying home on the sofa (which I would love to do ) but have to work 8 hours a day.  Most days I have feelings that I need to call 911 or drive to the hospital for feeling that "something is wrong and I think I might die soon"  I stop what I'm doing and breath slow and have to remind myself that it's the drug (or lack of) that is causing this feeling. It's horrible but the feeling does eventually get less and less and I am able to make it through the day.  Like you said, yesterday was not that bad but today you are feeling terrible, that's how w/d is.  You have to do a gradual slow taper to prevent medical problems such as seizures, and this board has good info from people who went through this or are going through it now like I am.  As I am typing I can feel my heart racing and I am looking at the clock cause I cannot wait to take my tiny dose of X for the afternoon.  If you need support this is the place where you will find it!  Good luck

Hey MrScared, you're not alone buddy, I've also had a very rough week so far, I think my last cut has been hard to stabilize on. So, it gets difficult sometimes I can see that now. I thought it wasn't going to be this bad to be honest but I know on the other hand that my body id trying to heal.

I've had those things you describe this week. Not sleeping well and long enough is really debilitating so all the other symptoms flare up.

Hang in there pal, I'm confident tomorrow I'll feel better and so will you.

I don't think the hospital is the solution but I've had that thought many times myself. My mind sees it as some sort of haven to run to but I know that the reality of it is different. In hospital I wouldn't have my computer, my cat, my bf or my nice yard. I wouldn't be able to just do whatever I want. Doctors always want to give meds and they are usually not in our best interest. If you have a time where you think your life is in danger either physically or mentally then that is the time to go but as long at the feeling of dying is a withdrawal sx that you can logically see then just take a deep breath and go on. There should be a place where we could all go and get the support we need whether it's just for a couple of days or longer, but there isn't. I would like to have a place where I could walk in, have a cup of tea, get a massage, have a good cry and have someone hug me and tell me they know what I'm going through. My bf is my lifeline, sometimes I call him in the middle of the night because I'm awake all night and I get scared and lonely. I have even thought of just hanging out in hospital waiting rooms to feel less scared.