Writing a book maybe - need your help

[pa...]

parker,

yes, yes, yes, write the book.  from what i've read here on BB, you write extremely well, and you are very knowledgeable, and even better you have first-hand experience in what you are writing about.

when i was embarking on this crazy journey, here's what i would have loved to know:

- the first thing: what's up with these crazy symptoms?  are they normal?  it seems the mojority of the topics here on BB are questions about that, so you definitely need a section describing the wide array of potential symptoms.  everyone who hits tolerance first wants to know "is this benzos doing this to me? and is this normal?". 

- and then i wanted to know exactly why the heck this was happening, so you definitely need descriptions of what's going on in your brain (which you've already explained so well in your posts).

- and i also wanted to know how to deal with the symptoms, so you definitely need some description about dealing with tolerance, and the different phases of w/d.

- and then i wanted to know how to start getting off these benzos, and all of the detail about that like "how long will this take?".  so you definitely need descriptions of tapering, cold turkey, the different points of view on that, and peoples experiences throught the entire process.

- maybe some info that might have helped too: "this might be what you hear from your doctor, if your doctor isn't benzo-wise, but here's what real people's experiences are".

anyway, that's my two cents.  write the book!

Z

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [pr...]

• [...]

• [Ne...]

• [pi...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Parker,

Please write that book, there is just not enough information out there.  When I went off benzos and was completely lost, there was just nowhere to turn, my doctor was clueless.

I was just lucky to have stumbled onto BB, it was very hard to find.

Also if you could include a line or two about benzos being a problem for some even at low doses and short terms, my doc just couldn't get past this.

Do you see a pattern emerging yet?  No one has said "don't write the book"  would that possibly be a sign of God's leading for you?

I hope so.

Take care,

Ringo

Dear Parker,

Please write the book...It is desperately needed.

I personally would like to see a book written to educate the medical professionals..so maybe they would not be so quick to write for these drugs....and if the inherit us after we have been damaged by benzo's, they would have a clue what they were dealing with.

I live in a part of the US that is fairly progressive, and I have yet to meet one healthcare professional that knows anything at all about Benzo withdrawal....

I wish someone would make sure the healthcare industry is at least aware of this.

As for "what I wanted to know the most about Benzo withdrawal"....Most of want to know that this will end and ways to make more bearable.

I did laugh out loud when reading the post by Noklono..now that was funny.

I think God already told you to write the book....You went through this and you survived, No, you actually thrived.

Not many people have contributed as much as you have while going through WD....

I hope you decide to write the book.

I know it will be helpful to many and maybe it will educate the healthcare community too....

Thanks for all you do.

Causing

I forgot -- please leave God out of it. I know that would turn me off. I would want to read how YOU (and by extension, us) had the strength to withstand this withdrawal. If I thought I would have to have God to help me, I wouldn't read the book, as I am not a Christian. I would want to read how an ordinary person got the guts to go through this . . . with help from friends and family, of course. And what they went through and what they learned. How they got through the tough times. All that. Sorry if this offends you, but whenever I read a post that references God, I cringe. And move on to the next one.

I agree with this.

I do the same. I use to be a believer in god, but that became obsolete during my journey.

I don't think it has anything to do with god.

I mean honestly, if there was such a loving, compassionate, understanding god, then why would he let all of this happen in the first place? 

I would read the book, but I would cringe at any religion or references to god in it.

Dear Parker,

I was excited to see this post. I have followed your writings and often thought how helpful it would be to have a " Benzo How To" manual on my bedside table. I have printed posts that have spoken to me and keep them in a folder for quick reference. I was at a loss when I discovered I was dependent on gabapentin, xanax and valium. My docs knew nothing other than to tell me I should just keep taking them. I knew they were the root of my problem and through my own research found BB, books and a local ND willing to help me taper. Many of the books had a rapid taper approach that did not suit my needs. Others were too nondescript. Thankfully my self selected team of medical and support persons has helped me complete two tapers and begin the last. I've often wondered what people do when they do not live in an area where resources are available or are too sick to plan their own taper.

It would be helpful to address where to begin when you discover you are dependent. How to pull together a team of support, how to communicate with your doctor, how to plan a taper,  what to expect physically and emotionally, coping skills, lifestyle changes, plus oodles of success stories. I think I have read through all of the success stories on this forum a dozen times.

With your credentials I think you would be well received  in the medical community. You have not only been through this you know how to communicate with medical professionals. Perhaps chapters on what is benzodiazepine dependence/ how it presents and how to support your client through benzodiazepine withdrawal. My PCP was clueless...even stressed the cocktail I was taking could NOT cause depression or anxiety. She is a well respected internal medicine doc in a progressive large western city. Many physicians do not consider benzodiazepines when diagnosing and treating. There are countless stories here on BB regarding poly drugging and misdiagnosing. There is a dire need for education in that arena.

So, dear Parker, when you feel the time is right please take this on. You will be doing a great service. Thank you for all of the help you provide here on BB...you are a blessing.

With gratitude,

Carita

parker,

you could even put a bit of what the family goes through and bit on compassion fatigue. i just came across an article written by a doctor on 'how to support a loved one in benzo withdrawal" just posted it in the 'withdrawal and recovery' and you could also put a bit about that since you definitely know how to be supportive and what people need--and that constant reassurance that we need especially in the early months.

pretty

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Parker,

I think it would be great for you to write a book.  You have back ground in the medical field, I believe I recall you work with individuals who have suffered trauma (tissue tearing) and need to relearn basic abilities.  So, that ads 'validity' to your work......that's how I see it.  And, you have a gift (which I DO believe comes from GOD) to explain in such a way, that anyone can understand.  AND, you have actualy gone through what you would like to write about.

I would not leave God out of your book.  I see you placed Romans in your signature, you did so for a reason.  Let your light SHINE, I believe He would be pleased with that.  Trials, such as this, prove the genuineness of our faith, I believe you know that.  Being a Christian is not easy.  But, I know it is worth more so than what this world has to offer.  I look at this mess I got myself into....I said 'yes' somewhere along the line.  I have no one to blame but myself (so easy to blame others or turn your back when things don't work out).

You know Who got you this far, don't leave Him out.  And, I do Believe He has an account on this web site.  You never know who's eye's (or words) God is looking at you through or speaking to you with.

Listen for Him

grace, peace and blessings,

eli 

Hi Parker,

You know I was thinking, what was so great is that you explained the physiological changes that took place in our brain due to the medication, how are brain adjusts and compensates over, under, whatever.  Thus this effects the way our 'mind' perceives life/reality.  I believe this is what escapes so many; Doctors, therapists, family, friends, etc.  It's like giving a pair of scissors to a two year old and telling them to cut out diagrams of all the different geometrical shapes.....perfectly.  They would feel overwhelmed and frustrated as their brain's are unable to do this (coordination, etc.).  We (kind of) have the same thing going on (in a way) due to this medicine.  The medicine effects our brain which in turn effects our mind - you said this I believe.  It's not psychological it's physiological - right?.  It's hard for me to explain this thought properly.

That would be something you could mention in your book.  I am seeing a therapist and he is asking me things that I cannot or am unable to do.  This was not always the case, prior to medications.  I leave feeling defeated.......my lack of ability frustrates me.  This would be a good topic to touch upon.  People have expectations on us that presently we are unable to achieve.  It is disappointing to them (like we have control and are just weak or 'damaged' and altogether hopeless.  They need to understand that we need time to heal (our brain).  We're fine, our minds, are brain is just temporally compromised.

What do you think?

grace and peace

eli

I want to thank you all SO much for your input on here.

I also want to share a perspective on why I feel God "allows" things like this to happen to people - good people - people who don't deserve it.  At least - this is what helps me - it's a biblical perspective.

Several examples exist in the bible of suffering and redemption - or suffering for a purpose. And that is what I held on to during the worst of this.  It was SO hard to have faith when this just sucked.  I dont' even know that I COULD have faith during some awful times - but I don't think God even would expect that.  I threw tantrums before God - it was SO bad.

I read and read and re-read Job - who suffered terribly and deserved none of it. In Job 2:10, he tells his wife "Shall we only accept good from God, and not adversity?"

I read about Paul - who was blinded and then healed - and then who was persecuted and thrown in jail for the rest of his life (where he happened to write MOST of the New Testament).  If he were not in jail, he probably wouldn't have had all that time to focus on his writing -but that must have been a huge part of God's purpose.  Which goes to show that it's not a perfect life - but life has purpose.  And what can appear to be awful may be just a part of the plan.

And finally - for those that believe in Christ -of course there is what he endured and the reason why. 

The bible tells us in Romans 8:28 that "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose".

I think that holding on to faith in severe suffering is ridiculously hard.  It was for me. And yet - it was all I had - and there was a maturity that happened in me from deeper study during this time.  I was unable to do SO much - and I needed God so much - that this was part of how I coped.  I think I became more mature and my eyes were opened more to the idea that my journey must have some purpose - however difficult it was- and I often just prayed that I was able to see that - and that I would be healed tomorrow.

Tomorrow is not "tomorrow" - but here at almost 2 years off -tomorrow is becoming evident.

I respect all beliefs on the forum. I just want to share for those that had that question of "why does God allow bad to happen to good people?"

Finally - there is the story of Jesus healing the blind man... in John 9.

Jesus and his disciples happen upon a man born blind.  His disciples ask him - "Who sinned? This man or his parents? That he was born blind?"  Jesus told them, "Neither of these. He was born blind so that the work of God could be displayed in him." Jesus went on to heal the man. ALL the villagers knew the man had been born blind - so when we was healed- they were shocked and had a reason to believe in God.  Basically - Jesus was saying  - "God does some things that dont' make sense right away - but he makes sense out of it eventually."

This was key for me to remember. This is why I am praying about writing a book. Partly because it is HARD to write a book - the dedication, the endurance to do it - to do it well - to finish it.  That's not easy for me.  It's not easy for me to have such a long-term goal and stick to it . So I need that strength to do it - and that's only if it's part of the plan.  You guys' input has helped a lot with that.

But I am trying to make sense out of my "why" for the purpose in this journey. I believe God must have had some purpose in it - so I pray that my eyes are made open to that. 

Love you guys - thanks for the good ideas.

:)Parker

Hi Parker,

Questioning for understanding, wisdom is good.  Questioning for the sake of questioning is foolish.  Who are we to question Him, it leads nowhere.  It is the motivation the intent (it comes from our heart...all does), that's what He sees.

My power is made perfect through your weakness - something like that.  I know I would not be here if it were not for the faith that He has given me.  A gift, with a choice to either except or not.  We all put our faith in something...it's true.  I put mine in what is eternal and unchanging, not temporal and fickle.  That's how He has revealed Himself to me.

I'll pray also that your eye's may be opened to His will for you. 

grace and peace

eli

Hi Parker! First off let me say that I hope you will write a book. There just isn't enough info out there and we are all so hungry for more. The medical community seems fairly helpless and uninformed so we are all left to do our own research. More sources would be a great benefit.

I think you should tell YOUR story, whatever it is and if religion plays a big part then it should be included. Some people won't like it but that's okay, you will never write a book that will please everyone.

Now for what I would like to see included!! I think case histories are great. They are easy (and I find enjoyable) to read but I think authors often have too few or not enough variety. You know maybe some where people tapered, went C/T, different healing times, supps and no supps, just a variety of things that people could relate too. It's such an individual process and we all want to find someone with similar symptoms. Same with the symptom list. For me "rashes" didn't really give me what I was looking for. I mean, what kind?? I had all sorts of weird skin problems but they were not all rashes and there was such an assortment! I guess what I'm saying is a detailed, comprehensive symptom list would be good! If I looked long enough I would usually find a post where something I had was noted but it took a lot of searching.

You've already got a really good start on writing some chapters just in the posts you have made at BB. I know you will include lots of good info on nutrition and supps and I think that is really key for some of us. I've come to believe that glutathion may be part of the missing link in my healing so I'm doing what I can to help my body produce it. I've done loads of reading, googling, etc. but again having a resource with useful supplements listed and what they do would be a huge help.

That's all I got for now! I'd be happy to be a case history for you but you have to give me a cool fake name!!  8) Happy weekend! Zippy

Hello Parker,

In a nutshell, YES. You have a gift of making the difficult easy, the incomprehensible comprehensible, and the difficult easy.

You have a way with words, lady!

Clyde

yeah--be sure to put in the list of symptoms greenish yellowish brownish skin tone. i had that. sometimes i still do. sometimes i don't. i saw another person had that on here. but there was a person who made him feel like he should go to the doctor right away and i didn't think that was right. i even saw that symptom on a benzo.uk.org symptom list. anything is possible in the benzo withdrawal.

i've also been doing lot's of research about methlylation groups and how it plays a role in benzo healing. people that don't have certain methyl groups anymore have a longer and harder healing time. someone on here (forget his buddy name and wish i could remember) told me about the methylation and gave me some links to read about it. also has to do with the mthfr gene and all of that.

all comprehensive and detailed is important. i'm still thinking of writing a book about this too but i think mine will have more of my own story.

Hi Parker,

If you recieve the sign from God and write the book I would be honored to be a part of it. I'm a widow and single mom and benzos almost killed me. My journey on benzos started when my son was only 4 years old. He is now 8 and I'm still on this path of suffering.

Please, somehow keep track of those who would like to share some of their stories. If you have a list going - add me to that list.

PM if you are interested in my horiffic story, my NOT dying from an overdose of benzos (It wasn't me, it was the drugs - I would never have done such a sin) my recovery, my finding BB that saved my life, how BB was the ONLY place I found a tapering plan, my journey during tapering, etc.

I've lost a lot as many have on this journey, but also gained a lot.

Thank you for all you've done to help so many.  :angel:

Bonestied

EXPOSE BENZO's for what they are --how we are duped by the pharm companies who in turn dupe Dr's -pdocs who don't do therapy but give scripts

Tell about how we are accidental addicts because we not informed about them

Tell about the the agony of WD, the incredible length of time to heal ,the effects on relationships

jobs,Self esteem, memory,incapatation- all of it

Make it a blockbuster to get the word out- tell about Rehab's taking us off CT

I am getting upset writing this- I can't change what happened to me but if you could raise awareness like what happened with tobacco --

Definitely write the book, Parker.  It would be good for the rest of us and may be an integral part of making this all make sense within your own life.

There is so little out there to help people withdrawing from benzos.  My first taper, after a year, was wasted because my doctor didn't realize my crazy physical symptoms were w/d.  I went into a complete CNS dysregulation and not knowing what else to do, he told me to take Klonapin.  I am wiser now, as is he.  But it cost me another 18 months of my life.

Write!

Sarah

Hello Parker . I would love to read your book! I would love to be part of helping you with any information you need. I really enjoyed your writing... What happens to our brain. You have a way with words , easy to understand.  I say do it !  I send u a hug Pinkee

Hi Parker,

I think your writing a book would be wonderful - you have written much helpful info here on the forum and would get much support for your material.

For me, when I first tried w/d on my own - I was stunned and looked for the following info:

- what is normal in w/d and what I could expect, especially whether or not it would cause more damage.  I am specifically referring to my greatest fears - that of terrible sensations inside my head that would on occasion lift my head off the pillow

-  length of time for w/d to complete

-  would I eventually heal - needed to take something positive with me going forward

-  why doctors all seemed to have great success supporting others in benzo tapering - I always seemed to be an extreme case to them

I hope you move forward in your writing.

I do not get the idea of any kind of compassionate deity in any/all of this, and would hope that you would be able to retain enough objectivity as a writer to hold back on assigning such a thing any role anyone's path toward abstinence from these awful awful drugs.

I also hope that 12-stepology would not be included.

My 'hopes' stem from my own experiences w/ both ideas. I've been CT/d twice, w/ disastrous agoraphobia the result each time, and a close-minded or clueless foreign national MD is trying to do this again. I'm older than many here, and simply wired too maladaptively to try again right now. Brown stuff in fan again. (And how is 'maladaptively' not a word, or a misspelled word, anyhow?)

I'm just saying, as some say. You certainly seem capable and knowledgeable enough, though. Go to it and kick arse. :thumbsup:

Parker, I just published a book on programming and had 50,000 copies made at a cost of $35,000.00 in full 4 process color.  I did the book in Quark and just emailed it to them, easy.

I went to China since binding is about 600% cheaper there.  If you need a link to the printer PM me. ;D

Hi Bird

You wrote a book while in benzo withdrawal? There's no way I could have done that. I need to do a paper but I've been putting it off due to this benzo mess. Congrats on getting below 3mg.

Bart