Possible stomach ulcer

[On...]

I'm really starting to think a lot of my stomach issues are caused by an ulcer. It all started with a bad bout of gastritis a few months ago and then worrying for weeks on end after. I match most of the symptoms. Anyway, I have an endoscopy set up in a couple weeks, but I don't really want to do it. The idea of getting knocked out and side effects doesnt appeal to me, and even if they find an ulcer, the idea of what the medications to treat it could do to me or w/d scares me. Does anybody have any experience with ulcers and know if they can just go away on their own? And if de-stressing would heal them? Any tips and tricks to heal them at home would be appreciated.

I also think it's what's causing my panic attacks because when it flares up, that mild burning inflammation makes me ancy. Ive noticed that eating does help it which is weird, as well as cold water, and in general I have the urge to let my food be cool before eating. When that spot in my stomach flares up or is irritated, I get mild chills and goosebumps.

[12...]

Ulcers are caused by a bacteria. There is a breath test that can detect if this bacteria is present in your upper GI tract. I believe the organism is called H. Pylori.  Ulcers are treated with antibiotics and acid reducers. Many people with severe gastritis mistakenly believe they have an ulcer. With ulcers, the GI pain is usually relieved by eating ordinary food or drinking milk. Gastritis pain is oblivious to food (except spicy stuff). If you had gastritis only recently, then you should still be treating it. Don't stop your meds just because you start to feel better. It takes time to heal the stomach lining, and ongoing anxiety is going to keep pumping excess acids. With ulcers there is also often some bleeding, so some black tar stools are often in evidence (not always, however). If this is gastritis, I seriously suggest getting prescription meds (Rabeprazole) as opposed to OTC Ranitidine. My latest bout of gastritis is still being treated - this is now 8 weeks and counting. It is extremely damaging to not treat gastritis fully and properly, so please resume or get meds if you have gastritis. As always, seek medical advice. If you find yourself doubled over in pain from gastritis, instant relief

can be sought by OTC Zantac (Ranitidine), and then see your doctor. The Zantac will work in about 90 minutes. If the severe pain persists wen dater the Zantac pill, and you are sure that this isn't cramping, but actual GI stomach lining pain or other GI pain, seek an urgent care center out asap. I could list a dozen other GI problems that cause pain...all require medical evaluation and treatment. Even appendicitis manifests in generalized discomfort before the pain really localizes to the Lower Right quadrant of the abdomen. Gallbladder spasm can squirt a big load of corrosive digestive enzymes into the stomach causing severe pain....the list goes on and on. Also, please do not confuse antacids with acid reducers - two different things entirely.

I hoped this helped. If you need immediate medical advice, there are online doctors at JustAsl.com

who can help troubleshoot until you see your GP.  Hope you feel better soon. (hmmm...the organism might be Heliobacter...I can never remember which one means bad breath and which one means ulcers...either way it is a simple test as is the ultrasound.  They don't scope until absolutely necessary, so don't worry on that score. Scoping is not a first line diagnostic test).

Thanks Obsid, the boyt of gastritis was so bad my back was burning. I didnt treat it at all, this was a few months ago. Generally now its calm most of the time but a certain area between my belly button and above it gets inflamed sometimes on a stressful day or one where I eat alot. Sometimes it does help to eat or drink milk. Like last noght it woke me up about an hour after sleeping with a general uncomfortable burning in that area and when I sat up a mild panic attack cuz the irritation revved up my hr. it subsided after a while snd was calm by morning. Ive thought about taking prilosec or something but I'm afraid of medicine in general now after all this. I also fear too little stomach acid, cuz you need some for digestion. I worry that I did do some damage from letting the gastritis resolve itself.

And don't be afraid of the scope. Mine took only 20 minutes, they used propofol, which is a GREAT anesthesia, I never felt a thing, and woke up wanting to eat a hamburger, hahah, and I haven't eaten hamburger in years. (I do eat beef tho).  My scope report was perfect, in spite of all the gastric problems I've had. It was so reassuring, so it was well worth it!

If your doc wants to do one, I would do it, especially if you can get them to use propofol. Your anxiety level might go WAY down afterwards. And it might allow you to begin eating again to regain your health.

All the sx you listed above can also be due to extreme low weight and calorie restriction. You can read that on the website youreatopia.com. It only goes away when your daily calorie intake is increased to a safe level. 1,500 or below is not a safe level and only continues the deterioration of the gastric tissues if you are already underweight.

Do anything and everything you need to do to get yourself well again. And getting the calories you MUST have is a huge part of that. Wellness can not happen without it. Since you do have foods you know you can eat without pain or heart rate issues, just increase your quantities of those if you are afraid to eat others. The atrophy of your gut will continue to get worse until you are getting those calories. If you don't want to read at the anorexia sites, try searching using starvation effects as search words.

Please don't let yourself get in my condition.  I am fighting for my life every day now and my liver is now starting to fail too. If I had I known what I am telling you back when I was just 10 pounds heavier, I would not be in such critical condition now.

I know you posted elsewhere that you don't want to eat more because you don't like to feel "full", but that feeling of "fullness" when eating only small quantities is one of the universal destructive effects of calorie restriction. Please, please!!  Save yourself!  Go eat. And eat adequately. And let your doc do what needs to be done. I also was sure I had an ulcer, but no. It was anxiety induced anorexia. Don't let it take you down.

I take losec 20 mg for ulcers and gastro issues. Very benign drug. It may help u. Don't fret the scoping. I've had it many times and its a piece of cake in comparison to benzo withdrawal....

I have had a stomach ulcer caused by taking a baby aspirin everyday for heart health. I have had at leased 6 endoscopy's. The first one they sprayed my throat with a numbing agent to stop my gag reflex and gave me a mild sedation and i watched the hole procedure on there TV screens. They released me about an hour later and i had to have someone drive me home. The next time i only had them spray my throat and i was out in 15 minutes and could drive my self home.

They but me on a drug called Tecta, it is a pantoprazole with magnesium in it. It took about two months and my ulcer was healed. Do not stress about the test, it is not that bad.

I have found my benzo withdrawal has made my stomach feel the same way as the ulcer did.