Kavinace

[Ma...]

Has anyone taken this product?  I have it.  It is supposed to be neurotransmitter support for GABA.  I never found Kavinace to be helpful in keeping me from waking up early in withdrawal. That being said, my doctor told me that she uses it as a natural sleep aid for her patients, such as those with fibromyalgia.  I know that the problem with Benzo withdrawal is not that one doesn't have enought GABA but that the receptors become modified and must return to the pre drug state.  Nevertheless, after I taper my Trazadone down, I plan to try taking Kavinace for general insomnia support.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kavinace is an amino acid blend.  I have not taken this product but I have taken amino acids and GABA early in my benzo recovery.  It cause me lots of problems.  Anything that affects your GABA recptors has the potential for some seriously unpleasant effects.  That has been my experience.

Thomas

Thanks for the feedback on the Kavinace.  I just found like other things I tried it had no particular benefit in keeping me asleep.  What types of amino acid products did you use and what problems did you experience?

• 2 weeks later...

Mantis, you have to understand that many supplements are very helpful for many people.  BUT not for people in benzo recovery, which can take a long, long time.  Especially notorious are B vitamins and amino acids.  These two supplements have an exitory effect on our GABA receptors.  They caused me extreme nervousness, anxiety, and insomnia.  I tried many different ones as well as blends only to realize I was feeling much worse instead of better.

Thomas

How about amino acids as found in whey powder?  Has anyone had any experience taking whey powder as a nutritional supplement?

Protein powder is quite a bit different.  Protein is made up of amino acids, not the other way around.  I know it doesn't make much sense but you should be fine with protein supplements.  Also, whey is a dairy product.  Make sure you have no sensitivities to dairy products.  There are many sources of protein that inherantly contain a good blend of aminos such as rice protein, soy protein, and even hemp seed protein.  I quit eating meat in March and found that I definitely needed the protein so I take protein powder to keep my strength up.  I have had no problems.  Good luck.

Thomas