Sleep Disturbances, Luced nightmares, unable to sleep in past 6am :P

[Ge...]

Hi Guys,

I haven't posted in about a week, so HeEEeeellooo  ;D... Anyhow we all know that sleep is one of the essential part to recovery. Only till recently when my withdrawal symptoms have become more predominant, about 6-7 weeks... My sleep has progressively become worse. Before I never had a problem with sleep, it was wonderful. I slept like a baby, and oh man I loved sleeping in. I even trained my dog to sleep in with me and my girl.

This is basically what happens now... I end up falling asleep past midnight then sometimes wake up a couple times throughout the night but fall back a sleep. I have had craaaAAAazy dreams and they are always like a nightmare or out of an action scene in a hollywood movie. Like last night for example, I dreamed my brand new car was hijacked with me inside and I was trying to crash my car to get the hijacker out or just to screw the bastard over. I wasn't scared so to say, it was just one of those intense moments... Humm, that sounds symbolic now that I type it out  :laugh:...

Anyhow, I forget most of my dreams upon awakening, but I no longer awake refreshed. By all means I still feel tired and want to go back to bed but like clock work depending when I go to bed. I wake up anywhere from 4-6 am. The second I come out of my sleep my nerves feel on fire like I haven't had a dose of xanax in days. I usually start shaking and shivering and overall I feel ill, a tad delusional still since I'm half asleep sometime I feel like I have a mini hang over. I always have to take a morning dose to stop the ill effects.

Just to let everybody know I have been trying to switch to klonopin. The last couple weeks and take a about .25 of xanax and .5 of klonopin right before bed. I was eager to switch to klonopin due to the longer lasting half life, but it hasn't worked any wonders for me. My morning awakenings aren't as intense anymore but they are still predominant and I should have enough benzo in my body to keep me from withdrawal while I sleep but I guess not?

Anybody in the same boat as me? Does anybody have any suggestions?

This is basically what happens now... I end up falling asleep past midnight then sometimes wake up a couple times throughout the night but fall back a sleep. I have had craaaAAAazy dreams and they are always like a nightmare or out of an action scene in a hollywood movie. Like last night for example, I dreamed my brand new car was hijacked with me inside and I was trying to crash my car to get the hijacker out or just to screw the bastard over. I wasn't scared so to say, it was just one of those intense moments... Humm, that sounds symbolic now that I type it out  :laugh:...

Anyhow, I forget most of my dreams upon awakening, but I no longer awake refreshed. By all means I still feel tired and want to go back to bed but like clock work depending when I go to bed. I wake up anywhere from 4-6 am. The second I come out of my sleep my nerves feel on fire like I haven't had a dose of xanax in days. I usually start shaking and shivering and overall I feel ill, a tad delusional still since I'm half asleep sometime I feel like I have a mini hang over. I always have to take a morning dose to stop the ill effects.

Anybody in the same boat as me? Does anybody have any suggestions?

Ah, George.  It's truly the pits but, and I hate to say this, it's very normal for wd.  4am was my waking hour for a long time, regardless of what time I went to bed, but it got better over time.  The dreams, waking up feeling the anxiety, not feeling rested, it's all part of the benzo package.  :) 

Since I ct I had to deal with what came my way but others that are tapering may have more advice for you.  Hope this disappears for you soon.  Now if you got that dog out of your bed your bed.... :laugh:  Is it a huge dog? 

Hey TS!  ;D  Its always delightful to see your posts. Ya, I keep running in circles with this problem not sure how to elevate it a little. On another note from another topic which might be helpful to my sleep issue. I will be seeing the doctor today about switching to valium to have my taper be a more slow and a less abrupt one. We'll see what happens..  :smitten:

George-

I too went through a phase of having super intense disturbing dreams/nightmares right after I completely came off all Benzos (Restoril 30 mg. and Xanax 0.5 mg. XR.)  These dreams lasted for maybe a couple of weeks but they went away. I'm now about 7 1/2 months off all benzos and still wake up a lot at night. Like you, before I was on the benzos I slept like a rock.  My sleep is slowly improving and I seem to be getting more deep restorative sleep (dreaming - no disturbing dreams.)   I am currently taking Trazadone and tapering it.  It seems to help me get to sleep and fall back asleep more quickly when I wake up.  I also found that turning the clock around when I go to bed so I don't obsess about how sleep I'm not getting etc.   Good luck with your taper.  Others here could provide you more information about that than I.

Wanted to mention too that early on I got hypersentitive to all types of stimulation. For example, I'd be in a croud and it was just too much and also got very oversensitive to sound (for example, listening to music, which I love) would bother me.  All of this went away but it was very disturbing. I also felt like my affect and emotions blunted; very not like me.  All of this is slowly improving.