Escitalopram (Cilaprex/Lexapro) Question

[Ko...]

Hello,

My doctor just prescribed me 10mg Cilaprex for anxiety. I'm currently on day 39 since my last benzo dose. My withdrawal symptoms are actually not too bad right now but are being greatly exacerbated by my constant worrying and underlying anxiety.

Yes Ive read a lot of the bad stories concerning antidepressants during benzo withdrawal. However, is there any possible benefit for me trying Escitalopram? Or would it likely be a complete disaster?

Hello,

My doctor just prescribed me 10mg Cilaprex for anxiety. I'm currently on day 39 since my last benzo dose. My withdrawal symptoms are actually not too bad right now but are being greatly exacerbated by my constant worrying and underlying anxiety.

Yes Ive read a lot of the bad stories concerning antidepressants during benzo withdrawal. However, is there any possible benefit for me trying Escitalopram? Or would it likely be a complete disaster?

I was on Cipralex for about 5 months while I was taking benzos. They definitely aggravated my withdrawal symptoms, which is why I had to come off of them. To answer your question, you may as well try it before completely writing it off. I will say that my depression was definitely kept at bay by the antidepressants, but I had to come off of them. Some people get worse anxiety from SSRIs. I never did until benzos messed with my brain. I do plan to go back on the ADs once benzo w/d is over, seeing as I am a chronic depressive/socially anxious, and they did help. Going on benzos was a mistake to begin with it.

Also, I noticed you said your symptoms are being exacerbated by constant worry and anxiety. I just have to say that I don't think your symptoms are being exacerbated by these, but are rather accentuated symptoms in and of themselves. Also, mirtazapine (Remeron) might help. Remeron is not a SSRI like Cipralex, and tends to have a calming effect that sometimes helps people sleep. I have heard good stories about Remeron here and there for benzo w/d.

So you're saying that there's nothing I can do about the worry and anxiety? Ya I read some good things about Remeron, however I heard it's also really hard to get off it.

So you're saying that there's nothing I can do about the worry and anxiety? Ya I read some good things about Remeron, however I heard it's also really hard to get off it.

Well I'm not saying nothing, but seeing as benzo w/d is due to poor chemistry, all you can really do is wait it out, let your brain go back to normal. Things like CBT and meditation are also recommended... Personally I have found them completely ineffective, as helpful as placebo.

Ya I know, it's really all about time. I might look into this Remeron though. It sounds interesting, although I doubt Ill end up taking anything. I'm just considering my options but I'm too scared to take another drug anyway.

I am currently on Lexapro. However, I was already on an AD before this benzo mess started. I think the lexapro has helped me to an extent but I would say the benzo w/d is probably counteracting a lot of the positive effects of Lexapro. I'm not sure where I would be right now if I wasn't on it because I have always dealt with depression.

The start up effects of an AD is different in all people. I have heard a lot of good things from different people about Lexapro. But they weren't also in benzo misery either.

Ashton says its ok.  I think Lexapro and Celexa are more calming than other anitdepressants.  If you ahve depression, then its worth a shot, just have to stick with it long enough, that is always my problem.  I am trying Lexapro right now, I took it 3 years ago, before I started having all this gut pain and back pain that I complain about.  I am depressed, so I am trying to treat the depression with medication and counseling.  I see no reason not to.

Lexapro is helping me.  I'd rather not be on anything, but it's helping me right now and I'm off benzos.  Just be aware that starting an SSRI can initially lead to worsened and increased anxitey when starting or increasing the dose.  It's not like a benzo that can take away anxiety in an instant.  It usually takes a few weeks to feel the positive effects. 

I don't know where I would be without Zoloft, which works for me. If it makes we'd worse then in my. Non-revving phases, I haven't noticed it.....I feel sort of ok then.

My worry is that the Zoloft will wear off during wdrawal as none of the others, I can tolerate

Cheers viking