Ativan / Eurodin Combo?

[Su...]

Hello Everyone,

I haven't been in here for almost a year but still on these two Benzo's and am wondering if things are ok with the health. I'm currently taking 1mg. of Eurodin and 0.25 mg of Ativan every night about five hours after light alcohol consumption. The reason I drink is to relax and the reason I take Benzo's is to sleep.

For me side effects are sometimes a lousy or stressy feeling, and can get angry easily sometimes. My main concern is that my body is beginning to feel numb, meaning legs, foot pain and numbness in arms. I exercise and eat right but have the sleeping probs.

The reason I take both is that Eurodin seems to get me wired the next day where as Ativan makes me tired, so I spend most of my time tired and wired.  :-\:idiot:  Has anyone here had a similar experience and or suggestions. Not sure if I can cut them as I've become dependent for sleep. hmmm What a dilemma.

Hello Everyone,

I haven't been in here for almost a year but still on these two Benzo's and am wondering if things are ok with the health. I'm currently taking 1mg. of Eurodin and 0.25 mg of Ativan every night about five hours after light alcohol consumption. The reason I drink is to relax and the reason I take Benzo's is to sleep.

For me side effects are sometimes a lousy or stressy feeling, and can get angry easily sometimes. My main concern is that my body is beginning to feel numb, meaning legs, foot pain and numbness in arms. I exercise and eat right but have the sleeping probs.

The reason I take both is that Eurodin seems to get me wired the next day where as Ativan makes me tired, so I spend most of my time tired and wired.  :-\:idiot:   Has anyone here had a similar experience and or suggestions. Not sure if I can cut them as I've become dependent for sleep. hmmm What a dilemma.

Hi, and welcome back!

First off, any amount of alcohol is really not a good idea while taking benzos. Alcohol relaxes you yes, but it actually causes rebound insomnia. Cut the alcohol, and you may have more success tapering off the benzo.

If you do it slowly and sensibly, you can eventually return to a normal sleep pattern.

I am not familiar with Eurodin. I looked everywhere! 

eljay - It's on the Ashton table as Estazolam (ProSom). 1-2mg = 10mg valium

--------------

Hi Surfer. 

Glad you are looking for help.  I think you are playing with fire.  I agree with eljay about the alcohol.  I think you are playing with fire.  Anything besides alcohol that you find relaxing?

You have been on the two short-acting benzos for more a fairly long time. You could have reached tolerance and if you haven't by now, you soon will.  Tired and wired sounds like tolerance to me. Then the only thing that produces the earlier good effects is more of the benzos.  It's a vicious circle. 

We have an Insomnia sub-board where people have posted some of the methods they use to improve their sleep that don't involve benzos or alcohol.  Here's link if you want to check it out:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=83.0

I, too, was scared to quit my benzo because of sleep and daytime anxiety but eventually I had to; no real choice.  I had increased over the years from .5mg to 3mg/day and still felt ill.  Tapering off slowly minimizes the withdrawal symptoms.  Sometimes it was tough, I won't kid you.  But I took my last dose on Saturday after nearly 20 years. 

If you are interested in possibly tapering, you could post on the Planning Your Taper board.  It's all up to you, of course, but we are a benzo withdrawal support board.  That's what we do.  ;D

Beeper,

Where do you see "eurodin"? All I see is this

Estazolam

(ProSom, Nuctalon)

I looked in my drug handbook, and did an internet search, lol!

I believe you, I just don't see that name anywhere.  :D

Is it spelledd wrong? Help!

Estazolam came up as the generic name for eurodin.  I think it's marketed as eurodin in Japan.

Ok thanks  :)

Sorry about that surfer!

Thanks for the feedback. I live in Taiwan so Eurodin is widely used here in Asia ( Estazolam ) Sorry for the confusion. My dosage has remained the same for the last year and a half. My alcohol consumption is very low, like a beer or a couple glasses of wine as I mentioned several hours before bed. Just concerned about the combination of the two Benzo's. Doctors here say no problem but gotta wonder. But actually maybe the daily alcohol could cause numbness over time I suppose. Any body else fell numb? I'm a bit numb mentally also hehe  :idiot::socool:

Thanks for the feedback. I live in Taiwan so Eurodin is widely used here in Asia ( Estazolam ) Sorry for the confusion. My dosage has remained the same for the last year and a half. My alcohol consumption is very low, like a beer or a couple glasses of wine as I mentioned several hours before bed. Just concerned about the combination of the two Benzo's. Doctors here say no problem but gotta wonder. But actually maybe the daily alcohol could cause numbness over time I suppose. Any body else fell numb? I'm a bit numb mentally also hehe  :idiot::socool:

Surfer, are you interested in tapering off your benzos?

It is potentially dangerous to drink alcohol with benzos. People sometimes become too relaxed with this combination, and stop breathing! OK, perhaps this is very unlikely if all you are having a single beer, but it is worth my mentioning.

Colin, Thanks for your feedback and appreciate your comment. I never take alcohol with Benzo's. I have a beer or red wine about five hours before bed and taking sleeping pills. As far as I know, alcohol stays in the system for about five hours of course depending on how much we consume. just concerned about tingling sensation and numbness. It could be from a herniated disk also. Gotta look deeper into things.

I did try taking half my usual dosage of Benzo's last night but wasn't enough to put me out. Tapering is very tough indeed. i was thinking to really work myself hard in the daytime so as to be very tired before bed as an alternative. But with Benzo's as with any drug I feel that may be a psychological dependency also.  :D:o:-\

Colin, Thanks for your feedback and appreciate your comment. I never take alcohol with Benzo's. I have a beer or red wine about five hours before bed and taking sleeping pills. As far as I know, alcohol stays in the system for about five hours of course depending on how much we consume. just concerned about tingling sensation and numbness. It could be from a herniated disk also. Gotta look deeper into things.

I did try taking half my usual dosage of Benzo's last night but wasn't enough to put me out. Tapering is very tough indeed. i was thinking to really work myself hard in the daytime so as to be very tired before bed as an alternative. But with Benzo's as with any drug I feel that may be a psychological dependency also.  :D:o:-\

Surfer, you don't want to be cutting your dose in half like that. It needs to be tapered in much smaller amounts. ideally about 10% every week or two. Cutting your dose in half like that can be dangerous, and can cause very very unpleasant wd effects. Be careful!

Thanks Eljay,

I guess I didn't realize how powerful they are and will try to taper more slowly. Also doing yoga stretching,and meditation at night and reducing alcohol consumption. Really appreciate you guys taking the time to comment. Cheers!  :socool:

Thanks Petey and Eljay,

It's a vicious cycle that's very hard to break once we become dependent. omg It's the side effects they get to me. Gotta admit though that the wine really helps me let go of stress and the benzo's help me crash at night. But now my teeth are hurting a bit maybe because I'm chompin on the gum too much. oh man. What's next.  8)