Need Advise from a Benzo "Veteran"...

[sh...]

At 3 weeks off Kpin, I had 2 Ativan doses (1mg) three days apart... (please see sig)

So did I start the clock over? Am I really at 6 weeks out instead of 9 weeks?

Thanks Buddies!

At 3 weeks off Kpin, I had 2 Ativan doses (1mg) three days apart... (please see sig)

So did I start the clock over? Am I really at 6 weeks out instead of 9 weeks?

Thanks Buddies!

It's basically up to you, but I'd be much more concerned about why you took Ativan twice in three days.  This kind of thing could very likely lead to reinstatement, and then yes, you'd not only have to restart your count but you'd probably have to do your taper all over again.  I know, I reinstated twice over the past 10 years, only to be successful the third time (16 months w/o Xanax now).

There is such a thing as kindling which means that each successive taper and withdrawal becomes much harder.  This happened to me, and believe me, reinstating is almost never worth going through that.

:smitten:

Megan

oh, it's all semantics, so it doesn't really matter.  This isn't like AA where they make you start all over if you have one drink.  Generally, when people even bother to mention rescue doses at all, they phrase it like "benzo free for X weeks/months except for rescue dose at the X week/month point".  It's not a big deal and it won't effect your recovery past a possible short term uptick in symptoms.  The only point in mentioning it at all is if you're worrying about the effects of the rescue dose or you are in a discussion about rescue doses.  Basically, they aren't significant in the grand scheme of things, so just stick with your original benzo free date as your off date.  (And congratulations on being benzo free!)

Best wishes.

:)

Shelby, I do think this is dangerous.  My question is do you have a bottle of pills in your house, or was it only given to you in the ER?  If you have pills in the house it would be a good idea (IMO) to get rid of them as soon as possible.  If you are allowing yourself "rescue doses" it will set you up for reinstatement and even worsening of symptoms.

Time clocks are irrelevant Shelby. Bottom line is that you're trying to get healthy by removing benzos from your system. I'm not a doc and can't speak to the physiological effects of popping a couple Ativan. However, the psychological effect is that you're convincing yourself you need the drug for some reason. That's the bigger issue to work on. Develop coping skills such that you can run to "yourself" instead of a bottle of pills to cope with anxiety. Easier said than done, I know. I carried benzos in my pocket for years out of fear. No longer though. Once you conquer that fear, you won't need benzos...

Best of luck!

Thank you Buddies!

I don't want another one of those poisons in my body. I just want to be healed and I am ready for this to be over. Thanks for all your support...!  :)

I agree with Megan. When I had my Klonopin removed I returned the left overs to the pharmacy. When they switched me from Librium to diazepam(they did a mistake on the switch but I still took the Librium back to the pharmacy. Right now I have stopped my taper until I stabilize in a couple of weeks but I will live in this hell until I stabilize. I refuse to move backwards. In the past my psychiatrist always gave me a bottle of 1 mg. Ativan sublingual to up the dose of BENZOS for breakthrough anxiety. I now know what a mistake that was. Please don't go backwards. It makes the taper harder in the future.