Announcement: It is with regret... ×

Gallbladder attack

[On...]

For many months now, my very worst symptom has been feeling like my painful, swollen midsection is just turning into scar tissue. It gets worse and worse instead of better and better.

I have been working really really hard at trying to gain weight and have been following a medical protocol for that that involves, of course, increasing calories. To get those calories in, I've had to eat lots more fats, dairy, and meats. I've been a good girl, even when eating just another bite was more painful than I felt I could possibly handle. I go to bed every single night with such pain in my gut that it is nearly impossible to sleep. It just gets worse every day and every night.

The literature on "refeeding" after extreme weight loss says to expect pain. So I have told myself everyday that the pain is "normal". Benzo use, I'm SURE, makes it even worse. I've just been keeping on keeping on, in spite of the intense pain.  Isn't that we are ALL doing here at BB, whatever our own worst symptoms are? It's all about putting one foot in front of the other and getting through each day.

Today I have hit the "intolerable" state. My pain, particularly in the right ribcage gallbladder and liver area, are more than I can manage on my own. I updosed my Valium slightly 5 days ago and don't think updosing more will really make this better. In fact, I can't help but think that the meds are taxing my liver and contributing to making it worse.

In desperation, I did a lemon juice & olive oil flush predawn this morning in hopes of maybe moving any stones that might be causing this terrible pain. I got great gurgling and squishing sounds from it and that actually felt good. I also did a hot castor oil pack on the right ribcage and abdomen.  But now that that is over, I don't really perceive any significant relief. My stinging, burning pain is still there and still as bad.

Has anyone here had experience with gallbladder attacks while taking their benzo meds?  What did you do about it? Are there any dietary tips you can suggest that might help?  The web information pretty much says avoid saturated fats, dairy, meats, nuts, and eggs. I have absolutely no clue how I'm going to get the necessary calories if I cut all these out of my diet. And I am already very endangered by my low weight.

Doctors have been no help. The latest gastroenterologist I saw last week just looked at me and shrugged. When I explained the pain and showed him my red inflammed belly (yeah, it's actually visible on the exterior of my body) he pretty much just said that's what happens when you have gastro problems. He didn't offer ANYTHNG else. I think he must diagnose a lot of generalized IBS that is of unknown cause and he also didn't seem concerned about my extreme low weight. He told me to reschedule a recheck in 6 weeks. Yeah, I'm thinking "if I SURVIVE 6 weeks".

Anyone have any suggestions?  Benzo Buddies is about all I have at this point for resources.  My poor husband is starting to tank under the heavy burden of being distraught at my condition and working hard every minute all day every day just trying to keep me alive.

Any and all suggestions would be most greatly appreciated.

I am impressed that between 21 viewers, no one has had gallbladder problems.  That's wonderful. I'm hoping its pretty uncommon among benzo users because it is TERRIBLE.

I'm bumping in desperation. Pain is acute.

I've not had gallbladder issues but have done the cleanses in the past.. The one I did was Hulda Clark's and you start in the evening with epsom salt mixture and then the oil and juice (I recommend grapefruit).  It never fails to clean me out but good.  But it is hard on the body so I'd proceed with care.  More info:  http://curezone.com/cleanse/liver/huldas_recipe.asp . curezone is alternative medicine so be sure to do research there.. and there may be more info on diet, etc.

Per the mayoclinic web site, it sounds like you may have a serious medical issue and I'd recommend getting to a doctor:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholecystitis/DS01153 .  If your doctor won't take care of you, then perhaps you need to find another one?

Hi,

I had severe gall bladder problems, but it was well before I was on benzos.  I kept getting sick and because I teach and am around small children I thought I kept getting a stomach virus. I would get really terrific stomach pains and then I would vomit.  I had a couple of bad episodes that sent me to the er and I was diagnosed with food poisoning and gastritis.  It's hard to have food poisoning if you haven't eaten.  :-\ Finally after one really bad attack, the doctor did an ultrasound and found gall stones. My gall bladder was also infected and I spent 5 days in the hospital on IV antibiotics before they removed my gallbladder.

Have you had an ultrasound? There is also another test done these days to see if the gallbladder is healthy. I don't know what it is called since my issues were long ago.

I'm sorry, I do know how bad the pain can get from this. 

pianogirl

Thanks Pianogirl. I believe the "newer" test is the HIDA scan. They inject radioactive dye in you, give you a chemical that makes your gallbladder release bile, and ct scan you to track how much bile is being released and what is happening. The one doctor that suggested this for me did so when I weighed 77 pounds, said they'd remove the gallbladder regardless,  and I likely would not have survived the test in the condition I was in. It appears I might have gained to a whopping 80 pounds now and I guess if I am going to die anyway, I might as well at least go out showing my sweet family I made an effort. I DID have an ultrasound back in April and it did not show any stones or abnormality in the gallbladder or liver, surprising my docs. I've had to eat a LOT of saturated fats, dairy, and meats to gain this measly 3 pounds, so likely that is the source of my problem. Except the problem predates my earlier ultrasound in April, so I don't know what to think.  :idiot:

How have things been for you since your gallbladder was removed? I hope your pain resolved and you have been able to eat normally. I've had two sisters with gallbladder removals and they are both doing fine. Do you have any idea what caused yours to be actually infected?  My blood tests keep coming back okay and the docs say I would show signs of infection in white cell counts, and would have your old symptoms of nausea and vomiting. I just have plain old excruciating pain.

Thanks again for your input.  ~OneLove.  :smitten:

How have things been for you since your gallbladder was removed? I hope your pain resolved and you have been able to eat normally. I've had two sisters with gallbladder removals and they are both doing fine. Do you have any idea what caused yours to be actually infected?  My blood tests keep coming back okay and the docs say I would show signs of infection in white cell counts, and would have your old symptoms of nausea and vomiting. I just have plain old excruciating pain.

Thanks again for your input.  ~OneLove.  :smitten:

It takes about 6 weeks for your body to normalize and get used to not having a gallbladder. I had to be a little cautious during that time period.  After that I have had no problems at all and I do eat anything I want.  For myself, they think my problems were hereditary. My sister had the same issue when she was my age.

I can see why you need to keep eating anything that will help you put on some weight. My goodness you are a tiny thing. I do know a lot of people lost weight during withdrawal.  This process affects everyone so differently and because there are so many GABA receptors in the gut, it doesn't surprise me that this is a common symptom. I wish I had some ideas to pass along to you, that kind of pain is hard to tolerate.

PG  :smitten:

Hi Onelove,

I had my gall bladder removed a few years ago.

Doc did an ultrasound, and stones showed up, so they removed gall bladder using lapryscopic surgery. 

If they do an ultrasound of your gall bladder and no stones show up, then I think the next step is generally to do the Hidascan.  I was lucky I didn't need to have it because stones showed up on ultrasound. 

Maybe you need to have a Hidascan done for proper diagnosis.  My husband had a Hidascan done once, and it was unpleasant for him.  Not trying to scare you, just being honest.  What I don't understand is if your doc said they would remove your gall bladder regardless, then why put you through the Hidascan?

As far as having pain during the re-feeding process, in my experience this is true.  My weight got down too low and when I started taking in more calories in an effort gain weight, I did have some stomach pain, but it didn't last long, maybe a couple of weeks.

BTW, after my gall bladder was removed, I recovered nicely.

Wishing you the best.  :smitten: