Do B Vitamins aggravate benzo induced insomnia

[Ma...]

I read somewhere that B vitamins can act as a nervous system stimulant and make the overstimuation of the nervous system caused by benzo withdrawal worse.

Does anyone have any information about this?  Thanks

That's what I've heard,too.  Don't have any personal experience because I decided to believe what I read and not take them. I do get a little extra B's in a daily multiple vitamin and don't think it's hurt me.  Some people are more sensitive though and need to lay off most all supplements.  It's a very individual thing.

Yes Mantis, B vitamins can make wd symptoms worse.  Back before I knew better I tried the B's and it made my symptoms much worse.

Everyone I know that has tried them had to stop taking them.   With that being said, everyone is different and what affects one may not affect another.  But if someone ask me if they should/could take them I'd advise them not to try it.

Everyone I know that has tried them had to stop taking them.  

No me. I took them thruout my taper. I did discontinue my B complex, but continued taking my multi, which has all the B vites.

I had a relatively easy time of it though, so I am probably not a good example.

I was given Vit B complex early on since they determined them to be depleted.  It helped me with my nausea and I am still taking them through my taper and I don't feel they have done me any harm.  I will be staying on them after I am done too.  I have a lot of stress in my life and my dr. feels this is something I need.  I also started Omega's during my taper and they have helped me tremendously.  I will continue with them as well.

mal

There's no doubt about it.  Vit. B helps with stress and has many other benefits and if someone can take them I think they should.  I would  love to be able to take them but I can't just yet.  I, also,  take the Omega 3 and find it to be very beneficial.

Thanks for the feedback.  I get B vitamins through my multi vitamin but I was also taking a Stress B sustained release complex.  I also drink Kambucha tea that is rich in B Vitamins (but no caffeine.)  I have stopped the Stress B sustained release due to what I read but haven't noticed any real difference with or without it.  As others have pointed out, everyone is different.  I guess I will have to assess how the B Vitamins affect me.  B Vitamins are good for stress so that's why I took them to begin with. Also, after the stress of the gastroenteritis I had that set off this whole episode with my being prescribed Benzos, I took Ashwaganda and Holy Basil (still take the latter) as I was told that these were good supplements to take to support the adrenals. (I'm quite sure my adrenals took a big hit from everything I went through.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, I am a new member, and found that B vitamins very much aggravated my insominia.  My question is, how long does it take for the body to eliminate the B vitamins so I can sleep better again?  I am aware that the B vitamins are water-soluable, so I would think they would be out of the body in a few days?  For reference purposes, for a good part of July I was taking 8 mg of B1, B6 and 83 mcg of B12. The last week of July I was at roughly 2 mg daily of the B's.  I stopped taking the vitamins starting 7/29/08, but am still feeling really tweaked out and very poor sleep as of last night, 7/31/08.

On the other hand, I also started my next taper on the clonazepam starting 7/1/08 (have been on .5mg clonazepam for last 16 months, slowly tapering down over 2 months to current taper of .375 mg, effective 7/1/08). 

So, hard to say if my increased anxiety/insomnia is taper-related or B vitamin-related or both.  What a mess.  I definitely want to stay at .375 mg, but its wrecking my life so also curious if I hang on at .375mg (have been at .375 mg for 31 days now) will my body adjust or do I need to go back up slighly in doseage?  Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

[c3...]

Vitamin B6 has been shown as a preventative type vitamin for Insomnia, while B12 has a seemingly opposite effect. Again, your millage may vary...

So, hard to say if my increased anxiety/insomnia is taper-related or B vitamin-related or both.  What a mess.  I definitely want to stay at .375 mg, but its wrecking my life so also curious if I hang on at .375mg (have been at .375 mg for 31 days now) will my body adjust or do I need to go back up slighly in doseage?  Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi OrangeB! Welcome to BB.

It's best to stay where you are at and not updose. Sometimes people find that holding too long can bring on tolerence sx, and the best thing to do at that point is make another cut.  Also, you can do a slower taper by doing a liquid titration. This entails mixing your benzo with milk, and making minute daily cuts, giving you a much smoother taper.

Thank you Ejay, that is helpful.  I will look into a liquid form of clonazepam.  It never occurred to me that such a taper method existed, thanks again.

One question, what does 'Tolerance sx' refer to?

oops, sorry, I forgot to answer your question. :idiot:

sx means symptoms, and tolerence is when our body becomes accustomed to a particular dose and it loses it's effectiveness. You then develop withdrawal (wd) sx without actually wd-ing anything.