Xanax free after .015mg jump and POUNDING HEART 5 days later

[te...]

I started 0.50mg Xanax + 5mg Valium per day since January 2013. I started titrating Xanax down in May (see signature), and now I'm Xanax-free. Generally a Xanax cut would hit me around day 4. Although I can't be sure because I was making my cuts every 4-5 days, so my symptoms may have been overlapping.

My last day of Xanax was 7/26, five days ago. I was down to barely 0.015 mg (probably less, as my cuts weren't entirely accurate) from 7/22-7/26 (.047 from 7/15-7/17 then 0.0325 from 7/18-7/21). My heart is pounding through my chest today, and 0.015 mg seems like a tiny amount to have such withdrawal symptoms from.

Could this pounding heart symptom be withdrawal from only 0.015 mg? It seems like such a small amount. Or maybe it's worse than usual because I'm completely done with Xanax altogether (even though I'm still on 5mg Valium per day)? I'm just terrified that I have general anxiety that has nothing to do with Xanax withdrawal.

I'm not a dr but it sounds like w/d.  It take time to heal.

Even though it was a smaller jump, your body is adjusting to life without Xanax and your GABA receptors are healing

Hang in there. 

I know everybody is different, but on average how long do these symptoms last? I want to start cutting the Valium within the next few days but I don't want to have withdrawals from the Valium while I'm still having symptoms from the Xanax.

Unfortunately I don't have an answer.  S/x are different for everyone and the duration.  It could be one of those that's going to hang around regardless of what you do.

It looks like you are doing a pretty quick taper so it could just be your cuts catching up.

Two choices

1-hold a bit and see if it subsides

2-push on through knowing its withdrawal and you are that much closer to being off.

If it were me, I'd assess my body and what I can handle and go from there.

That wasn't helpful lol. :-)

I certainly can't advise, but that's when any lowering of dose seems to hit me as well. I don't know if that helps, but I wouldn't discount the possibility that it's the drop from the Xanax. The pounding heart issue is very, very annoying, I have found!

I hope the pounding heartbeat is Xanax withdrawal, but I think it's just anxiety. I start worrying about my stomach issues (which is why I started taking benzos in the first place), and I worry about going out in public (I used to be a social butterfly before the gastritis in December, now I'm afraid to leave the house), and then my heart starts pounding.

Maybe the benzo withdrawal is making it more difficult to deal with the stress, anxiety, and worrying that I already have? I mean, there's a reason why all of us are on benzos in the first place, right? We must have had some kind of anxiety to even start taking them.

Well, it does run in a circle. The withdrawal causes anxiety, no way around that, but it's not a permanent anxiety. The anxiety causes the other symptoms, including the heart issues and I have also found that major muscle spasm problems can also happen. My spasms can hit my organs rather severely, and I am almost finished with that part of the w/d, but I was also dealing with gastritis (and continue to deal with it on almost every med other than benzos, which also help it for me--my last bout was due to antibiotics) and definitely understand how much benzos can calm that down.

It does go away, though. I only now realize how much of my w/d 3 years ago was from klonopin (I had a med reaction and was taken off everything after a nerve injury, so no one singled out the klonopin as the culprit at the time, and "everything" was quite a cocktail). But after a while, it was simply gone, I had tons of energy again, and no anxiety. I know that'll be the case again, and I'm sure it'll work out for you too. I lost the desire to be social also, but it came back (not so much right now, but it'll be back). Some of the sticky posts here are also very good in explaining it out, far better than I could! I enjoyed the "What's happening in your brain" post quite a bit.

It will smooth out in time. Just take really good care of yourself in the time being.

Thank you, Antonius7, for that reassurance. That does make me feel better. I think my gastritis healed awhile ago, but I continue to have intestinal issues which may be due to the anxiety. My anxiety, stress, and worrying go right to my GI system.

I will probably never be completely benzo free, but I do not want to take them every day. Once in awhile if really needed I think is okay, as I've been doing for years when I would take a Xanax here and there, once every few weeks or months if I really needed it.