Rebound Insomnia

[Jo...]

Hello everyone:  :o I've been on clonozepam for 8 years at 1 mg/day, always taken at bedtime. Originally in 2000 I had a sudden onset of severe clinical depression (probably caused by fooling around w/ melatonin, 5-htp, etc for better health - HAH!) Doc prescribed Effexor and Clon. (clon. for gigantic nerve and muscle spasms I suffered as result of the tremendous stress of the depression on my body.) Tapered off Effexor in 2005. No problems. Stayed on Clon.  About a month ago I decided to get off the Clon. so I very carefully started tapering sliver by sliver. Over a month went from 1 mg. to 1/4. Probably too fast a taper. Anyway, at 1/4 to the day, I developed rebound insomnia - first time I had insomnia in 8 years. Gradually went back to 1/2mg.  First night at this dose I slept ok - didn't lie awake for 4 hours waiting to drop off like the 4 previous nights. I'm 57 YO.  Question: does using clon. this long pretty much destroy the brain's ability to start making sleep neuro's on its own, or is there hope that after a prolonged taper my brain will gradually take over the job so that I can comfortably start falling asleep again w/o the sleep aids.  Some people have said they've accepted they're going to be on sleep drugs for life. Lifers, I guess you could call them. I know each person is individual, but what's the expected outcome. Anyone have some experiences they could relate? Thanks much in advance.

Question: does using clon. this long pretty much destroy the brain's ability to start making sleep neuro's on its own, or is there hope that after a prolonged taper my brain will gradually take over the job so that I can comfortably start falling asleep again w/o the sleep aids. 

Destroy? No. Temporarily disrupt? Yes!!

I have been a somewhat poor sleeper most of my life. I had used otc antihistamine off and on for years. Then 6 years ago i was put on paxil after 9/11-induced anxiety. Slept like a baby for 6 years. Went off that last year, and slept horrible. NO sleep. Then put on klon and seroquel. Since I have been off that for 5 months, I now sleep! Drug free! So I too thought that my brain lost it's ability to sleep. I didn't think i would ever get better. The anxiety of that belief actually perpetuated the insomnia. ONce I was able to just let that go and accept that I might not sleep well for a while, I started sleeping!

Patience and belief that you will recover are the two best healing things you can do. It might take some time, but your brain will remember how to sleep, I promise!

As for your taper, yes you went too fast. We can help you with a slower taper. 

Thanks for your reply, eljay. Yes, I'd be interested in your taper. Please direct me. :thumbsup:

Well, you can do a direct taper which is what I did. You would need to obtain 0.5mg tablets though. I tapered by a 1/4 tab every two weeks, give or take. This is a reduction of .125mg.

For many people this is too large a cut though. You can try this method, but if it proves too difficult we can set you up with a liquid titration, which entails mixing your crushed pill with milk, allowing for much smaller, smoother cuts. There is also the option of crossing over to valium, which also allows for smaller reductions due to the smaller dosage of pill. Here is an overview of each method.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/buddiesguide/methods