Anybody eat coconut oil straight up

I've been eating it to increase my calories. Also, it's supposed to be good for controlling yeast in the gut and just in case that is what is causing my really bad bloating, why not?  I have also read that if you have bad gallbladder problems, backing off might be wise. One of the best things about coconut oil is that it is medium chain triglycerides that require very little effort to be assimilated in the gut. Anything that makes it easier for calories to be assimilated is my friend right now.

Anyone else?

[a3...]
I have it from a reliable source that it is supposed to be good for Candida control in the gut, and can even be used vaginally to naturally control a vaginal Candida infection (too much information? Sorry).  Obsid.

My husband adds one large tablespoon to his morning bowl of oatmeal.  He experiences something they call "the burn" for about an hour after.  The science behind it is basically that it gets  your metabolism going and can cause an anxious feeling....like a rush of adrenaline.  It can linger for an hour or so but passes.  I just want to put that out there in case anyone tries it and then freaks out if they experience that sensation.  It's apparently a very normal thing to happen when taking coconut oil.  But the benefits are supposed to amazing.  My husband is on a huge health kick since my benzo fiasco, so he is always trying new healthy remedies.  :)  If it's not bothering you at all then I'd say stick with it as the benefits are huge!

My husband adds one large tablespoon to his morning bowl of oatmeal.  He experiences something they call "the burn" for about an hour after.  The science behind it is basically that it gets  your metabolism going and can cause an anxious feeling....like a rush of adrenaline.  It can linger for an hour or so but passes.  I just want to put that out there in case anyone tries it and then freaks out if they experience that sensation.  It's apparently a very normal thing to happen when taking coconut oil.  But the benefits are supposed to amazing.  My husband is on a huge health kick since my benzo fiasco, so he is always trying new healthy remedies.  :)  If it's not bothering you at all then I'd say stick with it as the benefits are huge!

Well, since you raise the issue of coconut oil increasing metabolism, is it possible that so much coconut oil in my diet is keeping me from gaining the weight I badly need?  At 80 pounds (or less), this would be an important thing for me to know. Would your husband perhaps happen to know the answer to this?  I do know some people use it specifically for weight control, but this has gotten WAY beyond a normal healthy weight loss.

I'm just going to put a little word of caution out there about coconut oil. It is very good of course, but proceed with caution. Don't rush into using too much too fast because it can have quite a negative effect on the bowels. Start small and work your way up.

I use coconut oil from time to time, but I'm not a big user of it because I tend to be a bit sensitive to this effect. I will add that I do have a tendency to be a bit sensitive to other oils too, usually oils that are in "fast foods" and are "goodness knows what kind of" oil.

I only use EVOO most of the time, and I have no problem with that, but I just wanted to pass on a little word of caution in case others are a bit sensitive to oils in general too.

• 1 month later...

I have it from a reliable source that it is supposed to be good for Candida control in the gut, and can even be used vaginally to naturally control a vaginal Candida infection (too much information? Sorry).  Obsid.

coconut oi has caprylic acid which helps kill off fungus.

Candida is in both yeast and fungal forms with the fungal form being the most destructive.

Coconut oil is also a FAT and not an OIL, so it is very healing on the brain and helps get nutrients moved thru the body.

Grass fed, organic butter is another FAT that does this as well.

My doctor really is a proponent of using coconut oil for anyone who has depression or anxiety or is sensitive to benzo w/d...so my guess is most of us here  ;) Anyway, she said what mrtmeo said which is that it is a fat that has a lot of neuro-protective benefits in the brain. She had me start using it for cooking but only Organic Virgin Cold Pressed Oil. I use about 2 tablespoons most days and have not had any negative effects. I also take 2 tablespoons of flax oil each day and use at least 2 tablespoons of organic, pasture raised ghee and/or organic pasture raised butter. In addition, 2 tablespoons of organic extra virgin olive oil and DHA and EPA Omega 3's are the recipe I am using to help provide the healthy fats that my brain needs.

Hi to all,

I take coconut oil everyday in a blender with fruit and greens.  I also swish it around in my mouth for 20 minutes.  It's called oil pulling. It's suppose to pull toxins out of your body.

Peace and Blessings

Snufi

I use it for oil pulling too. I wonder though at how good it would be for our arteries when used as a food? It sets to a hard lump when I discard it after oil pulling. Wouldn't it cause clogging of arteries? I am curious.        Hugs Pinkee

Hi to Pinkee,

Research has shown that coconut oil when eaten as food improves cardiovascular health.  It is a saturated fat but unlike dairy and meat has a different chemical make-up.  It is a medium chain fatty acid as opposed to short fatty acid found in dairy and meat.

peace and Blessings

Snufi

Hi to Pinkee,

Research has shown that coconut oil when eaten as food improves cardiovascular health.  It is a saturated fat but unlike dairy and meat has a different chemical make-up.  It is a medium chain fatty acid as opposed to short fatty acid found in dairy and meat.

peace and Blessings

Snufi

Actually snufi, as I understand it grass fed beef has the medium chain fats too.

i take 3 tablespoons a day cause my doctor told me to. i don't know what it does and i don't feel anything after taking it (although my skin stopped being dry and itchy). i don't get hungry as much when i take it so i eat less often.

I'm glad that someone mentioned the caution about starting slowly.  It really can have horrendous effects on bowel function if you take too much for you too fast. 

It is supposed to be fantastic topically for yeast, I've heard lots of good stories about that. 

OneLove, a caution though - if you think you may have Lyme disease it can actually kill the bacteria and in doing so cause a Herxheimer reaction and make you feel worse.  So just bear that in mind if it does seem to stir things up.

Drew is right about the grass fed meats.  They also have omega 3 instead of the omega 6 that dominates most of the grain fed meats available in the grocery stores.  I have to order my grass fed meats from a ranch just outside of Fort Worth Texas.  Studies have shown there are more healthy omega 3s in grass fed beef than in grain fed farm raised fish!

About the coconut oil - I switched to cooking with this a few years back but I do not just eat a spoonful of it.

Another great tool is coconut water.  If you buy it not from concentrate, it is a great source of potassium and is also very good at hydration.  Sometimes I cannot seem to drink enough water to satisfy my thirst and drinking coconut water solves this.  It is much better for you than gatorade and other sports drinks for replacing electrolytes.

Yes, Drew you are right.  Not a lot of grass fed cattle around here.  Just used to the hormone antibiotic dosed ones which I stay away from.

Peace and Blessings

Snufi

Drew is right about the grass fed meats.  They also have omega 3 instead of the omega 6 that dominates most of the grain fed meats available in the grocery stores.  I have to order my grass fed meats from a ranch just outside of Fort Worth Texas.  Studies have shown there are more healthy omega 3s in grass fed beef than in grain fed farm raised fish!

About the coconut oil - I switched to cooking with this a few years back but I do not just eat a spoonful of it.

Another great tool is coconut water.  If you buy it not from concentrate, it is a great source of potassium and is also very good at hydration.  Sometimes I cannot seem to drink enough water to satisfy my thirst and drinking coconut water solves this.  It is much better for you than gatorade and other sports drinks for replacing electrolytes.

Grain fed farm raised fish are quite toxic. Not only is the water extremely contaminated from over crowding and waste matter, the grains they are fed have very high amounts of agri chemicals, gmo soybeans and corn, and lots of neural toxic glutamates. The most common fertilizer used on factory farms now is around 30% msg. And it's dumped on the soil year after year after year after year. It's the same dynamic that has now made rice high in arsenic from the pesticides that have built up in the soil. Google arsenic and rice if you dare. I suggest you don't do this on a bad day.  :o

Hi OneLove,

Thankfully, I was already well versed in the dangers of prepackaged foods, gmo foods, and grain fed animals prior to my accidental addiction and have not been eating these for several years now. 

We order our meats from Slankers (google them and read his site.  He is pretty much an expert about our food system but a bit of a fanatic regarding his promotion of the Paleo diet)

We eat limited grains - mostly non-gmo organic rice that my grocery started carrying finally and as much organic veggies as we an find.  We mostly do not have a great variety of fresh here in El Paso Texas, but the frozen organics are pretty good.

We also make our own condiments and have for years trying to avoid the toxic chemicals in almost all jarred and bottled varieties.

Let me tell you, it makes for spending a lot of time in the kitchen, but at least I am confident that with the occasional mistake here and there, I am not polluting my body with more toxins.

I have been reading all your posts on glutamate and even though was aware of some of it, you have been teaching me some new things that I did not know.  All the information is really helpful because I want the rest of my taper to go smoothly and not be derailed by diet!

I know you feel me dawg! :D

Eliz, you are very fortunate to be so far ahead in this. It may be THE reason why you did so well for so long in your VERY rapid taper!!!  I kept watching your signature and worrying about the day I'd wake up to find you in the hospital.  :therethere: You have been amazing. And you've avoided glutamate toxicity.

I've always "thought" of myself as a healthy eater but am learning I wasn't nearly as careful as I should have been. Hidden glutamates everywhere and no knowledge of the dangers of grain lot beef and farm raised fish.

I am just now learning myself most of the things I am posting.  :smitten: :smitten:

Honestly Onelove,

I have no idea why I am doing as well as I am.  I have a sneaking suspicion that it is more likely because I started out at a higher than necessary switch over to valium from the clonazepam in the first place.  I wonder if I had started at a lower dose to begin with if it would have been more difficult but I would have shaved some unnecessary time off the over all taper.

I was following the recommendation from the Ashton Manual and may not have needed to.  I also know that once I got below 2mg I had to slow way down.  It was a disappointment because I foolishly thought I could continue on at my former pace and be done by 9/8/13.  Oh well, thank goodness for all the kind people on here, especially the veterans who kept me focused and are mentoring me now that I am nearing the bottom.  I will follow Etown's advice about keeping the symptoms no more than 70/30 (I am about 80/20 most of the time) and not push too much.

If it has been my dietary history making it easier, or if it is because I was not on the stuff too long to begin with I don't know but it helps to know you were concerned about me!  Thank you for that - but just so you know, nothing and I mean nothing, will ever be as bad as the 10 days of cold turkey I endured back at the beginning when I was just told to "stop taking it if it is not helping you" by my doctor.  I think because I know what that is like, I will be able to catch myself before I fall during the rest of my taper.

Anyway, thanks for your support and all the great informational posts!

Take Care  :smitten: