SLEEP RESTRICTION AND TRAVEL

[ma...]

OK, I'm a bit frustrated with my sleep restriction. This is week 3 I've almost completed. Week 2 was actually really good. I went to sleep within 10 min most nites and slept 6 hrs for 5 nites of 7. I was feeling good. Now last nite I only slept 3 hrs. I am not feeling as sleepy at 11 like I was the first 2 weeks. It is taking me over an hour to get to sleep and I am waking up before the 5:30 alarm. This feels like my old sleep. I felt like I was doing really well at first. My sleep Dr. is out of town and I don't see her till the 18th. I'm supposed to start reducing my unisom but can't until I have 14 days with only 2 bad nites. It's like I'm starting over only I'm not sleeping as well. Don't get this. Maybe I have adjusted to the new 11 bedtime and don't feel as sleepy. Don't know why I'm waking early.

I know this works for so many people, so I am going to trust my Dr. but I'm kind of scared. I was so tired at 11 in the first weeks, that I feel asleep easily. That was so nice. Like my early days on sleeping pills. I am really not worrying at bedtime. I'm relaxed from reading for over an hour. Dr. says not to try to fall asleep, it is natural and you will do it on your own. You can't try. You have to wait for the sleepy feeling.

I'm hoping for better tonite since I had so little sleep last nite.

I threw in the towel on sleep restriction at the end of 5 weeks.  Last week I slept 10 hours total in 5 nights.  My sleep was worse than its been in ages.  Plus, with the lack of sleep I ended up with a nasty cold. 

I found a sleep aid that seems to be helping me for now...getting 4-5 hours per night which sadly is really good for me. 

Hang in there, really hope that this works for you.  Try going to bed 15-30 minutes later to see if you are more tired.

Hi sleepless. You know you are so new off drugs it may have been too early for you to be successful with the sleep restriction. That is my feeling. Your GABA receptors have to be healed for it to work. You may want to try it again in 6 mos if your sleep is still bad. I don't think anything works in early withdrawal.

You didn't mention what you are using now to help you sleep. Can you tell me? I found for me, some supplements would work well for me for a few days but then no longer work. I had to keep changing supplements. Sometimes they helped, other times they didn't.

I slept pretty well last nite but I had more than 2 glasses of wine which is bad.  The wine really relaxes me I guess. I also did the treadmill and had faun day with some college friends. I think it's all part of the sleep picture. Sleep doc says a busy, hectic day will affect your sleep negatively if there is a lot of stress.

I'm just happy to have slept well tho the wine often gives me a headache.

Good luck with sleep tonite and happy 4th of July.

Hi! 

I'm still keeping some of the principles like going to bed and getting up at the same time.  However, I just can't stick to my 5 hour window anymore.  I just got too sick.

I'm taking ortho sleep by aor (google it).  6 nights in a row of sleep.  I feel like a new woman.  I started with two capsules, but only took one last night.  It gives me a headache, but enjoying the sleep for now.  Feel like I'm cheating by taking something, but I was in such terrible shape at the end of last week.

Happy 4th of July to you too....I'm Canadian, so we celebrated on the 1st ;)

Hi sleepless. I know what you mean about being so tired you just give in. I'm permanently tired. Even tho I'm getting more consistent sleep, it is not enuf with 4-6 hrs a nite. When the alarm goes off, I am usually sleeping soundly and I hate to get up. Why can't I be that tired and sleepy at 11 when I go to bed????? Also, I'm using 1/4 of a unisom everynite.

My only advice for you is you need more time off the drugs. Most people have their sleep return in a reasonable amount of time. Most are doing well after 1 yr. There are just some of us that have chronic sleep issues and are still struggling. Just give it time and struggle thru the best you can. I used and rotated all different supplements. They usually stop working after a short time. That was my experience. Good luck and maybe try the SR again after 6mos-1yr off if you are still not sleeping. For me having the sleep coach is very helpful. Too bad I won't see her for 3 weeks. She is out of the country so I am struggling along.

Mot, what re your sleep hrs.  I am doing sr and was having good success going to bed at 11 and up at 6.  When I go to bed earlier my sleep is much worse.  I know u r frustrated but it seems like u have had some success.........thanks, mark

Maiyaz hello. Yes, I have had some success, but I guess I hoped for more after being off benzos for 2.5 yrs. My sleep was so terrible I decided to spend the money and get more help....this is my last resort as I've tried literally everything else.

I did well my second week, sleeping 6 hrs for 5 nites, but my third week I started having trouble getting to sleep again, taking almost an hour each nite and only getting 4-5 hrs sleep, but feeling exhausted during the day. I am still taking 1/4 unisom and have to continue until I get 14 days of no less than 5 hours, with 2 bad nites allowed in that time. When I get those 14 days, I can add 15 min to my in bed time and reduce my unisom for 3 nites by cutting part of it. It is already tiny so I'm not sure how I'll do that.

My time in bed now is 11-5:30 which would be ok if I went right to sleep each nite, but otherwise I wake up to the alarm clock most days. I guess that is keeping me tired so I can sleep better art 11. My biggest problem has always been falling asleep. After withdrawal and menopause I've added waking up several times and not being able to go back to sleep.

The DR. thinks I am doing predictable behavior for someone with longtime insomnia and this will just take time. She hasn't told me how long but average patients take 2-3 months. Hope I can afford that long.

Glad to hear you are doing well. I have heard that men do better with sleep than women as a general rule.

• 8 years later...

Shayna,

I see you have bumped a few threads! It's good to see that others have survived insomnia. I sometimes feel like the only one, especially since I have to take stuff to even get a little bit of sleep. I was also suffering from GI issues and those have gotten better, so I am hoping my insomnia will get better too. I had a window for about 10 days of 4 to 5 hours with two 7-hour nights thrown in and I was hoping I was healed! Back to 2-3 hours again the last 2 nights.

HM

Hey hm x I’m glad u have had some good nights, it definitely helps. I had a good night the night before last 6-7 hrs. But last night had the combo again and no idea if I slept it was strange. Anyway x onwards x

Yep same here, GI stuff was terrifying. Thought I had pancreatic cancer for a while (drs did too) but all clear. Greatful that has gone for me too. My body is healing, just very slowly x