Australian TGA win over Xanax

[b7...]

[b7...]

Hi all I wanted to share this great news over Zanax in Australia. 

Delegates final decisionThe delegate has reviewed the public submissions and other evidence and has confirmed the interim decision.

The delegate has made a final decision to amend the Standard for the Uniform Scheduling of Medicines and Poisons to include:The rescheduling of alprazolam from Schedule 4 to Schedule 8;

• A new entry in Appendix D, paragraph 5 for Benzodiazepine derivatives, including those separately specified in Schedule 4 and Schedule 8.

• The delegate's final decision also includes the decision that the scheduling of the remaining benzodiazepines remains appropriate.
    After reviewing the public submissions and in consultation with the States and Territories, the delegate has extended the implementation date to 1 February 2014.

What this means is the Australian Therapeutic Goods Act, has ruled that Zanax be made a restricted drug and  more difficult to be prescribed and stored in pharmacies.  As opiates are here in Australia. The greater benzo wise community will continue to lobby for the eventual  "in facility treatments only" ie Oxazepam and Diazapam to prevent siezure and save life in alcohol detox.A great win for Australia

Towards :smitten:

Edited title: Zanax to Xanax

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Di...]

• [Zz...]

• [In...]

• [...]

[b7...]

Yes it is good news..... we are lucky we live in a country with such a strict TGA.  Now all we need is for the rest to be passed, like w/d it all takes time.

• 3 months later...

'Xanax' ?

Please someone correct the spelling in this thread title or it will stick forever! Unless there is a drug called Zanax I haven't heard of.

Perhaps these sorts of draconian measures should be applied to cigarettes and alcohol which probably kill way more people than these drugs. These new rules are designed to stop the liars and abusers. I read one article about a man who was consuming 200 Nurofen Plus tablets per day.

Our random violent attacks in Australia have sky rocketed through increasing binge drinking. Thank God we don't have guns. It strikes me as rather amusing that people want prescribed drugs so strictly controlled but think it's OK to let little kids have guns. Mass shootings every couple of weeks in the US would be wiping out more people than these drugs ever would. In fact they are usually consumed along with other things such as heroin to actually be potent enough to kill you.

In Western Australia there is apparently going to be an 'addicts list'. Perhaps when people front up to the counter at Woolies for their carton or two or ten x 100 cigarettes, they could be refused. "No mate, you've had your 5 packets for this week." Or when people buy in their Christmas alcohol - the full trolleys are usually lined up through the shop on Christmas Eve. Maybe the cashier could have a list to check if the person has had their allotted number of prescribed units of alcohol for the year. Makes sense.

In protecting the few who can't be trusted, these new rules will only make life difficult for the truthful people who have inadvertently become addicted while being treated for a real problem. Who were told that they would be on the drugs for the rest of their lives by their doctors. Who have not abused the drugs by taking enormous amounts and then costing the government a fortune in fixing up the damage.

I don't want to be viewed suspiciously by officious pharmacists when I collect my prescription for my dose of 1.5mg Xanax per day.

This 'win' is only a win for the people who have lost control. The alternative will be putting them onto antidepressants which don't usually work and have much nastier side effects even if they are not addictive.

Not a win in my opinion.

Well it will stop the problem, lol

The restriction of Psuedoephedrine was a big win over the methamphetamine problem in Oz, lol

[b7...]

Perhaps these sorts of draconian measures should be applied to cigarettes and alcohol which probably kill way more people than these drugs. These new rules are designed to stop the liars and abusers. I read one article about a man who was consuming 200 Nurofen Plus tablets per day.

Our random violent attacks in Australia have sky rocketed through increasing binge drinking. Thank God we don't have guns. It strikes me as rather amusing that people want prescribed drugs so strictly controlled but think it's OK to let little kids have guns. Mass shootings every couple of weeks in the US would be wiping out more people than these drugs ever would. In fact they are usually consumed along with other things such as heroin to actually be potent enough to kill you.

In Western Australia there is apparently going to be an 'addicts list'. Perhaps when people front up to the counter at Woolies for their carton or two or ten x 100 cigarettes, they could be refused. "No mate, you've had your 5 packets for this week." Or when people buy in their Christmas alcohol - the full trolleys are usually lined up through the shop on Christmas Eve. Maybe the cashier could have a list to check if the person has had their allotted number of prescribed units of alcohol for the year. Makes sense.

In protecting the few who can't be trusted, these new rules will only make life difficult for the truthful people who have inadvertently become addicted while being treated for a real problem. Who were told that they would be on the drugs for the rest of their lives by their doctors. Who have not abused the drugs by taking enormous amounts and then costing the government a fortune in fixing up the damage.

I don't want to be viewed suspiciously by officious pharmacists when I collect my prescription for my dose of 1.5mg Xanax per day.

This 'win' is only a win for the people who have lost control. The alternative will be putting them onto antidepressants which don't usually work and have much nastier side effects even if they are not addictive.

Not a win in my opinion.

Xana as you dont have a signature,  I have no idea why you are still on Zanax.  Yes it will be very hard to obtain come next year, Drs old and new are given more education. If you were not still taking the drug it would be easier to see why this is a win.    I am sorry you feel this way after all the lives this drug has taken.  It nearly took mine,  I was a high functioning professional person.

It is being worked towards so Dr's in Australia will not be able to prescribe benzos outside of a hospital life saving situation,  especially Alprazolam as they know there is actually no need for that drug.  We seldom hear of "Klonopin or Rivotril as it was known in Australia. The same act was passed in 2003, over this drug.  It is only in the circles of the people who take these drugs for fun and have sadly become addicted that the greater problems lies.

Love and light

Towards.

Yeah i think they should make Nurofen schedule 8. A man who was consuming 200 Nurofen Plus tablets per day?

I suppose it's easy work to just make Nurofen Schedule 8 as well, instead of giving people harm reduction information, eg. A simple CWE

Perhaps these sorts of draconian measures should be applied to cigarettes and alcohol which probably kill way more people than these drugs.

In what way is it Draconian? The drug is still available for legitimate uses. It can only be a positive that doctors will be less casual when prescribing it. You are correct that benzos kill very few people. But they cause a lot more human suffering than cigarettes and alcohol.

Perhaps these sorts of draconian measures should be applied to cigarettes and alcohol which probably kill way more people than these drugs.

In what way is it Draconian? The drug is still available for legitimate uses. It can only be a positive that doctors will be less casual when prescribing it. You are correct that benzos kill very few people. But they cause a lot more human suffering than cigarettes and alcohol.

a lot more suffering than ciggarettes and alcohol?

I agree..Last time I heard of Hospital figures treating people for ciggarette and alcohol related suffering was very low.

Alcohol related violence has nothing on all the troubles Xanax causes in society....

[b7...]

Hi Preston,

Enlightened Dr's know that Benzo's especially Xanax  is responsible for many deaths in Australia and the numbers are escalating. It is up there with Heroin now.  That is why these laws are being passed here.  Educated Drs also know that there is no need for Xanax and the likes of.  Valium would be one of the only benzos needed in the arsenal in a clinical setting to stop seizures and save lives.

love and light,

Towards.

[b7...]

lol you have no idea.

This will cause massive problems.

Good luck

Zzzz1

Clearly from the pm's you have sent me and your responses on this thread you maybe on the wrong forum.  We do not support the use of benzos.  We are here to offer loving  support through taper and withdrawal.

Should you continue to upset me and others I will have no choice but to report you.

your responses on this thread you maybe on the wrong forum.

This is what is wrong with this forum. There are members who think that no one has a right to a different opinion!

You are making outrageous statements about a drug that you couldn't even spell the name of! I would like to see some hard evidence (scientific studies not hysterical TV stories) for these claims.

Xana as you dont have a signature,  I have no idea why you are still on Zanax.

A signature (which was here for the past 21 months until I removed it a few days ago because I was being insulted and decided to guard my privacy) has nothing to do with my giving an opinion on drug regulation. I do not smoke but I can still have an opinion about regulations.

Are you going to report everyone who disagrees with your opinion?

Zzzz:

Yeah i think they should make Nurofen schedule 8.

Ha, ha! Though it probably isn't funny because some people would agree with this!

Zzzz:

Yeah i think they should make Nurofen schedule 8.

Ha, ha! Though it probably isn't funny because some people would agree with this!

Yeah, a moron would agree, or someone sucked in by a story with dramatic music, releasing half the facts..eg, Michael Jackson, Heath Ledger and Whitney Houston all had traces of Xanax in Thier system...

Sucked in morons, same thing...Morons.

http://docs.health.vic.gov.au/docs/doc/C268D7932FD81954CA257BC800105F8D/$FILE/Alprazolam%20to%20become%20S8-v02.pdf  -----Alprazolam 2mg tablets are the subject of the majority of forged prescription reports in Victoria and have a significant street value. 

So prescriptions of other drugs are forged and are just swept under the carpet, turn a blind eye, no worries. Now they are seeing the majority of forged prescriptions are Alprazolam, hang on..my Alprazolam riddled brain can see something wrong with that.

Maybe they should investigate Pharmacists, not doing their job properly.

Forgot...Don't want an investigation into the publics trusting Pharmacies would we?

Hi Bird,

That is not true, we have a huge benzo problem in Australia.  There is still a huge percentage of Drs and health care so called professionals with their heads in the Sand.  Benzos/Xanax is taking over from Heroin as the preferred street  drug and killing as many people.

Love and light

Towards.

Like i said in the other thread ----Benzos have taken over from heroin as the preferred street drug? Xanax alone kills people? (Try a mixture of other chemicals)

Heroin is long gone my friend..Try Ice, which has taken over & has for Years..Where have you been the last what?,7 years? In the sand with the media?

Australia leads the way, that is good news.  I, for one, think that these drugs are so dangerous they should only be used in hospital settings.  Hopefully, other countries will take notice.

Thanks for sharing.

[b7...]

What about people who need the drugs to taper? ??? ?

Hi Bird,

There will be authorised Dr's that people will be sent to, this will cut down on Dr shopping.  The same act was passed 2003 for Klonopin/Rivotril, it is no longer advised for therapeutic purposes and I believe difficult to get on the street.

What about people who need the drugs to taper? ??? ?

Hi Bird,

There will be authorised Dr's that people will be sent to, this will cut down on Dr shopping.  The same act was passed 2003 for Klonopin/Rivotril, it is no longer advised for therapeutic purposes and I believe difficult to get on the street.

This is what will happen....

Alprazolam

A guide for consumers

What is alprazolam?

Alprazolam belongs to a group of medicines called benzodiazepines. It is used for short- term relief of anxiety or for treatment of panic disorder. It is a prescription only medication.

Common brands include Xanax®, Ralozam®, Kalma®, and Alprax®. To learn more you can read the Consumer Medicine Information (CMI) available

Changes to alprazolam prescribing

From 1 February 2014 alprazolam will become a Schedule 8 (S8) medicine in all Australian States and Territories. This step has been taken due to the growing level of misuse of alprazolam and concerns for the safety and wellbeing of those who take it.

What is a Schedule 8 medicine?

Schedule 8 medicines have a high risk of abuse and addiction. They have extra legal restrictions on how they are stored, prescribed and dispensed.

How will these changes affect you?

For most patients, you should notice little change. You will still be able to receive alprazolam for valid medical conditions. There is no change to Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) funding.

Prescribing

Your medical practitioner must inform the Health Department if prescribing alprazolam for each patient who requires a prescription for a long period. Only one practitioner (or medical practice) can prescribe for a patient at the same time.

Prescriptions

Alprazolam prescriptions may not be written on the same prescription form as other medications. If you are prescribed other medications they must be written on a separate prescription to alprazolam. Prescription repeats must remain at the one pharmacy and may not be dispensed early unless instructions are provided by the prescribing doctor. Alprazolam prescriptions are valid for six months. These rules apply from 1 February 2014, regardless of when the prescription was written.

Dispensing

The pharmacist must confirm any handwriting on Schedule 8 prescriptions and may need to contact your prescriber. Alprazolam must be stored in the pharmacy safe and extra records kept. Owing prescriptions for Schedule 8 medicines are not permitted.

What should you do?

Talk to your medical practitioner before 1 February 2014 to see if alprazolam is still the right treatment for you. If so, you will need to discuss how to ensure that you have continued medicine supply under the new rules.

Pharmaceutical Services Branch