Major Hair Loss

[br...]

I know hair thinning is part of Klonopin withdrawls. I have been doing a turtle taper and actually maintained the same dose for 3 months because I'm super sensitive and have too many side effects. But I digress. So now my hair has thinned out so much that I barely feel it on my head. It just feels odd. I tried to do  a search online but did not find whether this is a permanenet condition.

Did anyone have these symptoms and did their hair grow back eventually? Also do you have suggestions on what products can be used? I don't want to take anything like Propecia or Minoxidil(sp?).

Thanks so much for your help!

Hi Brite,

I was also on Klonopin (yeck!) and have also lost lots and lots of hair. Am 5 1/2 months off the stuff now. Hair is still falling out but not as bad.. I have been through this before, years ago on a different benzo.. Don't remember my hair falling out this bad that time.. I do know quite a few others that have also had lots of hair loss. Sandy K is one.. She has a thread here.. I have been told by some and read some articles saying that it will grow back.. I was a hair stylist for 25 years so believe me I have checked around about this symptom.. I do see new hair comming in now even though some is still falling out.. Don't stress too much over this because I'm sure it will grow back.. Just will take some time..

Good luck in your recovery.. I am finally starting to have some better days.. On and off.

Donna

I know hair thinning is part of Klonopin withdrawls. I have been doing a turtle taper and actually maintained the same dose for 3 months because I'm super sensitive and have too many side effects. But I digress. So now my hair has thinned out so much that I barely feel it on my head. It just feels odd. I tried to do  a search online but did not find whether this is a permanenet condition.

Did anyone have these symptoms and did their hair grow back eventually? Also do you have suggestions on what products can be used? I don't want to take anything like Propecia or Minoxidil(sp?).

Thanks so much for your help!

Hello there, there are alot of products ie shampoos on the market that help to stimulate the scalp- use a gentle one. minoxidil has too many chemicals in it. im sure your hair will eventually grow back. I lost alot of hair many years ago (it thinned out) when i was a bit unwell (not drug related) but it all grew back in its own time. In that time I had to have hair extensions to make my hair look thicker but they were NOT glued on ones and were expensive!! (I was in my twentys then and it bothered me) so probably dont fear the hair loss thing as much as others as it has happened once in my life already. ( Now ive said that it will probabaly happen) Get a shampoo that gently stimulates the scalp for thinning hair-it will at least keep your scalp healthy for when your hair does grow back.  if the hair loss is more because of thyroid issues then you need to give it time.Also massage your scalp to keep it healthy with oil and stimulate the scalp. These are just my thoughts on it.

To be honest(and dont laugh) i would probabaly go and by a wig if  I lose my hair again...but then i guess im used to this as it has happened to me before...there are some really natural looking ones out there but thats only if it really bothered me.

Brite7,

I definitely can relate to the hairloss.  I have probably lost about half of my hair during the last two years.  I get very distraught over this at times.  I do see some babies here and there but it definitely isn't growing back in yet.  Some times the hair loss calms down only to pick up again.  The last few days it has really picked up. 

I also have a thyroid disease as well as GI problems.  The GI issues were brought on due to w/d.  My endo runs monthly thyroid tests to help keep my levels under control but they have been on one continuous roller coaster ride the last two years and still are at 7 months off. (benzo free)

I spoke to my endo about this just last week and he said that he believes that my body is conserving all it's energy for what's essential for my body to function right now and hair growth is not one of them.  He does believe that my hair will grow back in one day.  For the time being I might start considering hair clips.  Then a wig if things get too bad.

I am so sorry.  I know how devastating this can be for a woman.  It really does a job on our self esteem. :-[  But I have hope, as I still do that one day we will have a healthy head of hair again.  Don't stop believing!

Sandy :)

ahhh sandy, dont worry sweetheart...ive been there. A hair clip is a good idea. You saw that photo of me with my extensions in. it was my choice to have long extensions. It is very debilitating on your self esteem, thats for sure. There are honestly some really nice wigs out there and honestly you wouldnt even know if someone was wearing one!! I often stand in the queue of the local supermarket and start chatting to women in the queue who have nice hair and so many tell me they are wearing a  hair piece or extensions- it looks so good and natural. it depends on what you are prepared to spend on it. I feel like actually going out and buying one now simply to have a new look. Lots of love sandy.You will get your hair back eventually and in the meantime try an alternative to boost your morale if it helps. I wore extensions from the age of 29-36 and forgot i was even wearing them half the time and so did everyone else. When i eventually said goodbye to them my hair had all grown back and it did my morale the world of good.xxxxxx

This is what i looked like :crazy::2funny:

only kidding

I appreciate all your responses and support :) BTW that picture I have as my avatar was 2 years ago before I was on klonopin. So I definitely don't look like that anymore. I feel for you all who also are going through this.  It's hard to accept because my hair was one of my best features. It hid a lot of my other flaws. So it's hard to lose the one thing I had that I could say was my best feature. Sigh... I'm going to try Nioxin and I found this what do you guys think?

http://www.merryclinic.com/hairloss/treatment.htm

It's expensive and not sure if it will interact with the klonopin but my Mom uses the psorasis scalp oil and says it's pretty good.

Love to you all

Awww shelly you are so sweet with your beautiful words. You are a beautiful person as well. But the webcam pic is small an can be deceiving believe you me I do have flaws and it has been pointed out to me before  :( But I need to think about inner beauty like you said..... :smitten:  Unfortuantely I dated 2 guys with Social Anxiety in the past who were quite shallow which shocked me so much since they didnt come across that way at first, but they were obssesed with hot chicks and wanting to date them and treated me like crap which of course messed up my self esteem.

Brite, 

Shelley certainly is a gem, isn't she? :smitten: 

I would be careful with any supplement you take as it could possibly rev up withdrawal s/xs.  I think it would be safer to go with the oil.

I haven't had any luck with Nixon and I have used it on months on end.  It does keep the scalp healthy though.

Best of luck!

Sandy

Awww shelly you are so sweet with your beautiful words. You are a beautiful person as well. But the webcam pic is small an can be deceiving believe you me I do have flaws and it has been pointed out to me before  :( But I need to think about inner beauty like you said..... :smitten:  Unfortuantely I dated 2 guys with Social Anxiety in the past who were quite shallow which shocked me so much since they didnt come across that way at first, but they were obssesed with hot chicks and wanting to date them and treated me like crap which of course messed up my self esteem.

Now dont get me started on people who do nothing for your self esteem :phone:

people who point out your flaws are bullies as far as Im concerned. Its like being in the school playground. Ive been there. (not in the school playground but with bullies-although I am a school teacher so have been in the playground too..oh...never mind :idiot:)Its best to stay away from men or women like that. Ive learned so much about this over the years. Ive finally met the right man when I was 36 and he has stood by me going through this withdrawal thing. I went for someone who appreciates me as a person rather than anything else and thats why he stuck by me. If someone says anything about your looks-GET RID. Men from my past regret it now when I finally settled down and I still get calls from an ex from time to time regretting everything and wants me back even though Ive turned into a basket case because even though he is 10 out of 10 in the looks department he didnt do anything for my self esteem, and hes realised what a nice person I was compared to the other women he met and says he wants me back now) My current boyfriend saw me at my worst and watched me vomit and retch last year day after day after day for months and just sat there holding a bucket while I did this over and over and over and I was a basket case too during C/T withdrawal. I did not look pretty believe me!!!Thats how I know that looks are not important. Its who you are!!!

blah blah blah.  :tickedoff:    :I'll shutup now!!!- YOUR BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! :yippee:

Shelley,

Sounds like you really got a keeper! :thumbsup:

Now I'm really hoping in the shower!  LOL!!

I sent you an email.

Love,

Sandy :smitten: