Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group

[Is...]

I actually do get that. What I don't get is the seemingly endless perseverating about it . . . like the discussions of how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. What the heck difference does it make how you define/think of your tolerance . . . what name you give it? For heavens sake, just get on with things. If zero is your goal, work towards that.  :tickedoff:

Katz

I was simply asking a question in hopes of hearing others who have felt better as they tapered down once reaching tolerance. I am currently tapering down and moving towards my goal of being off all meds, otherwise I wouldn’t have found this site I am very grateful for. I’m struggling enough as it is, unsure as to how I’m going to be successful most days and to come to a site where others in similar situations should be more understanding than anyone, only to be attacked by another member is a bit upsetting. I come on here not only to hear others experiences, but to find hope when I’m feeling pretty utterly hopeless.

FWIW, I don't think Katz was addressing you with her post. "You" can mean you or it can mean "people/person." I really think she meant people/person.

Those of us who have been here a long time (look at the number of posts a person has made to give you an idea of how long they have been here on BB) have read endless arguments about what tolerance is or isn't and if it even exists. I'd be willing to bet her angry emoji was about that.

I would like to add that this is not a very active thread, so, sadly, you may not find someone here who can answer your question.

So....does gabapentin help or hinder with tapering? I'm already on it for fibro. I'm supposed to take 900mg, but I'm only taking 600mg at night.  I've heard good/bad things about this med. It does help with my fibro though. I don't know if I should stay on it or ditch it. I didn't know there is withdrawal effects from it.

It absolutely can cause dependency and withdrawal symptoms. I was on 1500 for 2 years… over the past 6 months i’ve tapered down to below 500mg.  The withdrawals (burning nerves) from tapering down even 10mg at a time are so bad I don’t know what i’m gonna do. Worse than any benzo withdrawals i’ve had. I’m switching between tapering valium too. Im a really bad case though, I don’t think i’m typical.

So....does gabapentin help or hinder with tapering? I'm already on it for fibro. I'm supposed to take 900mg, but I'm only taking 600mg at night.  I've heard good/bad things about this med. It does help with my fibro though. I don't know if I should stay on it or ditch it. I didn't know there is withdrawal effects from it.

I think typically gabapentin withdrawal is similar to benzo withdrawal but not as difficult.

Gabapentin may help with benzo withdrawal very temporarily, but you will almost certainly habituate to it, and it will not work any more (per my neurologist).

I have not seen evidence that it hinders benzo withdrawal.

I was taking G for neuropathy during my benzo withdrawal. I just stayed on it until I was finished with my benzo. Then I tapered it to a lower dose. Then I decided to stop that and taper my Q instead. That's what I'm doing now.

I was on it for neuropathy at a pretty high dose, corgi (2300 mgs). My condition improved and I tapered off it. Yeah, I had some w/ds but they were not as bad as benzos.

If it helps your fibro, if it were me, I'd stay on it. If/when you do want to taper it off, just be aware that it is likely to produce w/ds.

Best,

Katz

It does help with the fibro.  I don't want to be on it though. Just another drug that sedates me. But, it helps for the nerve pain. Fibro is nerve pain. I have a love/hate relationship with it.

Hi everyone,

I was 95% healed & then hit my head & concussion sent me into a tail spin.  I’m now on 5mg of zyprexa (Olanzapine) to help with mood swings & sleep.  I’m

Looking into going onto gabapentin to help with anxiety.  I’ve read it’s used off label for this.  Is going on gabapentin a totally bad idea? Should I try epilum instead or Zoloft or Lexapro or Effexor?? Help!

Thanks so much

Hi everyone,

I was 95% healed & then hit my head & concussion sent me into a tail spin.  I’m now on 5mg of zyprexa (Olanzapine) to help with mood swings & sleep.  I’m

Looking into going onto gabapentin to help with anxiety.  I’ve read it’s used off label for this.  Is going on gabapentin a totally bad idea? Should I try epilum instead or Zoloft or Lexapro or Effexor?? Help!

Thanks so much

Given this group is called Gabapentin Withdrawal Support Group, I don't expect you'll find anyone singing it's praises on here, me included.

As for the other drugs, this is the Gabapentin Withdrawal Support Group. There's a whole board called Other Medications.

Bess, I realize gabapentin is often prescribed off-label for anxiety, but having taken it, I can't recall a single instant that it did anything for my anxiety. I was taking it for a neuropathy and (yikes) went on benzos for anxiety. So . . . guess it didn't help  much, no? Seriously, if you can practice mindfulness or go to therapy or (maybe) take CBD to help with anxiety, I'd do that over starting gaba. It's unfortunately a drug you're going to have to taper off . . . and its w/d profile is similar to benzos.

I know this is the gaba thread but I just have to chime in about zyprexa. Holy moley! I was on zyprexa and unfortunately gained a ton of weight. It made me eat every carbohydrate in my house. It's a pretty nasty drug overall and has a horrid history (look for the lawsuit against Pfizer, it's manufacturer).

As widesky suggests, do your research. Google both these drugs . . . and ask yourself if you really need to be on them? If I had to do things all over, i wouldn't have taken either of them.

Best,

Katz

Bess, I realize gabapentin is often prescribed off-label for anxiety, but having taken it, I can't recall a single instant that it did anything for my anxiety. I was taking it for a neuropathy and (yikes) went on benzos for anxiety. So . . . guess it didn't help  much, no? Seriously, if you can practice mindfulness or go to therapy or (maybe) take CBD to help with anxiety, I'd do that over starting gaba. It's unfortunately a drug you're going to have to taper off . . . and its w/d profile is similar to benzos.

I know this is the gaba thread but I just have to chime in about zyprexa. Holy moley! I was on zyprexa and unfortunately gained a ton of weight. It made me eat every carbohydrate in my house. It's a pretty nasty drug overall and has a horrid history (look for the lawsuit against Pfizer, it's manufacturer).

As widesky suggests, do your research. Google both these drugs . . . and ask yourself if you really need to be on them? If I had to do things all over, i wouldn't have taken either of them.

Best,

Katz

Thanks so much. I’m going to stay away from gabapentin then.  Yikes! I’ve been on zyprexa for 3 weeks now - first it was 2.5mg & now it’s 5mg at night.  I’m talking to my psych this afternoon so I’ll ask about another mood stabiliser - any thoughts on seroquel or epilum? I know this is a Gabba thread but just thought I’d ask here in case anyone had been on them too.  Thanks for your help :))

• 4 weeks later...
I just upped my dose 300 mg for anxiety. It's helping. I'm supposed to take 900mg a day for fibro.  But, I cut down to 600mg months ago.  Was planning on trying to get off it, but I think I will stay on until I get off this klonopin. 

I just upped my dose 300 mg for anxiety. It's helping. I'm supposed to take 900mg a day for fibro.  But, I cut down to 600mg months ago.  Was planning on trying to get off it, but I think I will stay on until I get off this klonopin.

I think that's what I would do. Get off the benzo first and worry about the gabapentin later. Wait, that's what I did do! :laugh:

Gardner....

I'm not going to worry about the gabapentin for now.  It does help a great deal for the fibro.  I may have to stay on it.

I just want to focus on getting off this benzo for now.  It's not going to be an easy ride.

Unfortunately, my doctor wants me to come off all at once.  I'm on 6 psych meds! I'm actively searching for another psych doctor.

Did anyone else ever have some crazy joint pains during gaba tapering? Every joint in my body just hurts so much..like even the connecting tissue in the middle of my chest hurts. I have had arthritis and gout test done and they show jack all. Same with lyme. This has been going on for a few months now.

I'm kinda stuck with tapering at the moment. It seems like it's getting much harder now and I feel each 10-20mg drop much more and the awful feeling after last a lot longer.

The front of my head hurts, like someone punched me in the forehead. I have all these other random sharp pains in my body...scary! ;(

Listen, this is ridiculous. How I haven't lost it yet I'll never know. I thought I'd be feeling better at the lower doses, but no.. not at all!

I'm insanely jealous of people who jump off at like 300mg. If I try to do that, I lose my mind. It makes me think something awful is wrong with me aside from withdrawal.

Which I know isn't true most likely, but I can't help it.

Other than all that BS I'm doing fairly decent I guess.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello, I have been on Gabapentin for 6 months at 100mg X1 at night. It made me sick from the beginning. It never got better. I am now on a taper that started one month ago, down to 50 mg x1 at night. The last two weeks have been horrible, had to go to the ER because withdrawals made unable to function. Doctor suggested to add 10 mg of Nortriptyline to bridge me over. I am afraid it will lead to another Gabapentin nightmare later on, but I am really struggling with withdrawal. Do have any experience with gabapentin and nortriptyline? Thoughts on adding another drug to help ween off? Any help is appreciated.

Hello Hope.

Sorry you are  having so much trouble believe me I understand!

Nortriptyline does have a withdrawal syndrome.

Always hoping that there is something we can take that will make us feel better.

I almost reinstated at one point. Then I read something that helped me - the WD symptoms are all signs of healing and our job is to wait while this is going on. Not resist it or fear it. I take some things for comfort- A beta blocker for rapid heart rate- NAC and Lthenine for anxiety. Trazadone so I can sleep. Exercise for distraction.

I am trying to observe my body without emotion. Right now I’m having some pressure- strange sensations in my pelvic and bladder area-and I remember this from when I got off benzos. Part of the healing. Nothing to distress about. Every day without this crap – this poison – it’s closer to the day when I’ll be well. Observing and waiting. Distraction. Repeat ad nauseam- as the alcoholics say “this too shall pass“

Hi, Hope. I'm sorry you're having such severe symptoms. It sounds like cutting your dose in half in a month was too fast for you. I agree with ego that adding another drug could cause more problems, so be cautious about that. Can you just hold on at your current dose until your symptoms subside? Generally that's what helped me when I hit a rough patch. Then, when you start up again, try only reducing by 10% per month. You may that makes for an easy taper.

• 2 weeks later...

I so want to get off this med!!!!!

I'm currently tapering off of K and vyvanse at the same time.

I know it wouldn't be a good idea to try this at the same time.

My psych doctor told me it actually helps with anxiety. 

It makes me drowsy and gives me blurred vision.

• 1 month later...
Have any of you developed thyroid issues due to this medication? I now have issues and have hypothyroidism. I’m so nervous to take medication for it. For those that have hypothyroidism since being on this medication, did you start thyroid medication? If so, how did you react to it? How long until you felt a bit better after taking thyroid meds? Or did you decide to not treat for Thyroid and if things improve slowly over time?  Will this be something that will improve after I am off and I don’t treat it? Or is my thyroid now damaged? Thank you!

I so want to get off this med!!!!!

I'm currently tapering off of K and vyvanse at the same time.

I know it wouldn't be a good idea to try this at the same time.

My psych doctor told me it actually helps with anxiety. 

It makes me drowsy and gives me blurred vision.

I think people tend to habituate to the anti-anxiety effects of gabapentin. Some of the side effects go away and some don't. For me, the drowsiness went away. For some, they have to take all or most of it at bedtime. I'm sorry you're still drowsy, but you're right, too many med changes at the same time is not a good idea.

Until I got used to it (about a week) gabapentin was a great anti-anxiety drug. I felt ommmmm. And then its anti-anxiety effect went away, and I continued to feel drowsy. I agree with gardener about becoming habituated. It was really not a very good drug for me. I felt lots better when I tapered off it. But maybe one thing at a time, corgimom? Hope you're doing okay.

Best,

Katz

• 3 weeks later...
Hello Everyone, haven’t been on BB for a while. I was 18 months post benzo and life was going fantastic when I was given an antibiotic that threw me back into acute hell. Had no idea what was going on and that this was even a possibility. Because I didn’t know what was going on, I foolishly let a doctor talk me into Gabapentin as my sudden symptoms were so SEVERE. She promised me that it didn’t bind to the the same receptors as benzos and wouldn’t be a problem for me. Well, needless to say, it is a huge problem and although I am only on a small amount for a short time trying to get off is BRUTAL!!! Hoping you can help me. I am wanting to try a homemade water solution so I can hopefully have a bit more control over my reductions. Anyone have any experience with this??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.