Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group

[Is...]

Yes, most. I had w/ds from Ambien -- I had been on the drug way too long and it was not helping me sleep, just making me feel ill/nauseous. After I quit taking it and the nausea went away (a few weeks) I tackled the gaba. My nasty triad of drugs took me a while to shed, but one at a time . . . and I felt lots better once I got rid of all three.

Katz

Amen to that. Can't wait to get there, myself!

Thanks katz

I really appreciate you giving me insight. May I ask one more question? What was the longest time it took you to recover from the benzo after you quit? Were you able to work or be social?

Trying to figure out what would be best to taper. I'm not ready symptom wise, but if I get there I want to be prepared.

Stitch, it was hard for me to work and be social in the fist part of my taper. It was miserable. But when I got down to the low doses (under 3 mgs) things improved. I was definitely able to do both. And when I was off completely, things got better and better until, after about 4 months, I felt "normal". I never did have any post-benzo s/x. Probably because I did a DLMT from 3 mgs on down -- I reduced by a teeny amount daily: .01 mgs. Yes, it took a long time but it was worth it.

Hope this helps,

Katz

Hi everyone, haven’t been active here for about a year. Since then I’ve finished crossing over from 1.5mg ativan to 15mg valium and at the time was on 1500mg gabapentin. Now a year later I’m at 5.5mg valium and 500mg gabapentin.

I’m very kindled and extremely sensitive to withdrawals. Since i’m switching back and forth tapering Gabapentin and Valium, and only doing so because i’ve reached tolerance with each, it’s difficult to tell which symptoms are coming from which med.

My current symptoms:

Morning depression

stomach cramps

Burning pain under the skin (best way to describe it)

constipation

head pressure

skin is burning and itchy (I also have a flakey itchy skin rash that’s spread to various places on my body)

fatigue and muscle pain.

sensitive to about 90% of food (can only eat non-starchy veggies and protein)

tinnitus

1. Do you guys experience any of these and do you feel they’re specifically related to gabapentin wd?

2. I used to use magnesium but I suspected it was interfering with the gabapentin and causing body burning withdrawals so I  stopped it. What are your feelings about gabapentin and magnesium?

Hi everyone, haven’t been active here for about a year. Since then I’ve finished crossing over from 1.5mg ativan to 15mg valium and at the time was on 1500mg gabapentin. Now a year later I’m at 5.5mg valium and 500mg gabapentin.

I’m very kindled and extremely sensitive to withdrawals. Since i’m switching back and forth tapering Gabapentin and Valium, and only doing so because i’ve reached tolerance with each, it’s difficult to tell which symptoms are coming from which med.

My current symptoms:

Morning depression

stomach cramps

constipation

head pressure

skin is burning and itchy (I also have a flakey itchy skin rash that’s spread to various places on my body)

fatigue and muscle pain.

tinnitus

1. Do you guys experience any of these and do you feel they’re specifically related to gabapentin wd?

2. I used to use magnesium but I suspected it was interfering with the gabapentin and causing body burning withdrawals so I  stopped it. What are your feelings about gabapentin and magnesium?

I'm sorry, I don't know about most of this stuff. But, in my experience, a gabapentin taper feels like a mild version of a benzo taper with many similar symptoms. I don't recall having the burning with the gabapentin, but did have it with the benzo.

Is it ok to drink my Gabapentin solution slowly? I seem to be in tolerance, am experiencing inter dose withdrawal and also having paradoxical reactions to it. I have slowly been sipping on my water solution because when I take it, it makes me feel just awful with extreme symptoms. I am kindled and just don’t know what to do anymore. I can’t see myself getting off of this, but it’s making me so sick being on it. It’s totally turned on me and am in totally agony 24/7. I have been titrating in water, but held at 542 mg for a few years while I completed my benzo taper. Trying to dose as close to 8 hours as I can. I’m now taking it at wonky hours because I can barely make it through. I took a 42 mg dose at around 12:30 am and then waited to take my remaining 100 mg pill until an hour after that. This morning I am sipping on a solution with 97 mg in it and haven’t taken my 100 mg pill as of yet. I’m so scared to take it. I don’t know if I should just do all doses in water and sip on them slowly? I’m hardly functioning as I know I’ve mentioned and am sorry for repeating myself.  I am so beyond sensitive to everything, so can hardly eat anything. Is it ok to do all my doses in water and sip slowly throughout the day? I just don’t know what to do. I’ve landed myself in the hospital three times now and just can’t go back. Please help!

Is it ok to drink my Gabapentin solution slowly? I seem to be in tolerance, am experiencing inter dose withdrawal and also having paradoxical reactions to it. I have slowly been sipping on my water solution because when I take it, it makes me feel just awful with extreme symptoms. I am kindled and just don’t know what to do anymore. I can’t see myself getting off of this, but it’s making me so sick being on it. It’s totally turned on me and am in totally agony 24/7. I have been titrating in water, but held at 542 mg for a few years while I completed my benzo taper. Trying to dose as close to 8 hours as I can. I’m now taking it at wonky hours because I can barely make it through. I took a 42 mg dose at around 12:30 am and then waited to take my remaining 100 mg pill until an hour after that. This morning I am sipping on a solution with 97 mg in it and haven’t taken my 100 mg pill as of yet. I’m so scared to take it. I don’t know if I should just do all doses in water and sip on them slowly? I’m hardly functioning as I know I’ve mentioned and am sorry for repeating myself.  I am so beyond sensitive to everything, so can hardly eat anything. Is it ok to do all my doses in water and sip slowly throughout the day? I just don’t know what to do. I’ve landed myself in the hospital three times now and just can’t go back. Please help!

If you feel more stable/better siping then I would do that if it were me. But I would see if you could get a second opinion on surviving antidepressants. I know people on that board have been around for a while. If you can't reach anyone there, this may fall under a split your dose thing. I see you have already split it into three. So siping could be looked at like an extreme form of that. So you could try siping or splitting your dose further. But I think that is mostly do to interdose withdrawal.

Can someone pipe in with knowledge on dose splitting or tolerance? Because I think it is more related to that than the gabapentin itself.

If you are tolerance the idea is to keep moving down. If you are in indose withdrawal then you want to split the dose. So sliping/splitting more can theoretically work.

Can someone check my logic?

My current symptoms:

Morning depression

stomach cramps

constipation

head pressure

fatigue and muscle pain.

tinnitus

That depends when you are taking the magnesium. Some say taking it hours after you take you gabapentin is safe. But not everything applies to everyone. It does affect how the gabapentin is absorbed I believe.

As for your symptoms, they fall under both. Gabapentin is associated with things like nerve pain and anxiety, though it has all the same potential symptoms. Klonopin can be anything as far as I've seen. Cognitive trouble, muscle pain, digestive issues, DPDR are all common issues, but can also shoe up in gabapentin withdrawal. Did you post in the klonopin support forum?

The brain likes predictability. If your sipping is random and variable, your brain is not getting predictability. That's just my opinion.

If it is easier to dissolve it all, then I would dissolve it all. Whatever makes it easiest to be consistent and give your brain predictability.

Maybe you could put your whole day's dose in a small canning jar or similar that comes with measurement lines and drink a certain amount at the top of every hour (or whatever works for you). But I urge you to pick a consistent schedule and stick with it for a month or more (I did 6 months) before you decide a hold isn't working.

Your other choice is to taper off and get it over with. If you truly are paradoxical, that may be the best choice. I don't know, but I think paradoxical reactions are very rare, so it's hard for me to say you should rapid taper.

I'm sorry. There isn't a definite answer to this.

If you feel more stable/better siping then I would do that if it were me. But I would see if you could get a second opinion on surviving antidepressants. I know people on that board have been around for a while. If you can't reach anyone there, this may fall under a split your dose thing. I see you have already split it into three. So siping could be looked at like an extreme form of that. So you could try siping or splitting your dose further. But I think that is mostly do to interdose withdrawal.

Can someone pipe in with knowledge on dose splitting or tolerance? Because I think it is more related to that than the gabapentin itself.

If you are tolerance the idea is to keep moving down. If you are in indose withdrawal then you want to split the dose. So sliping/splitting more can theoretically work.

Thank you so much ThatOneGirlStitch for your response! I decided to just go for it because I just have been so unstable for so long and just can’t take it anymore. Perhaps it could make things worse, but I decided to just go for it today as my dose was already a bit screwed up.

This is going to sound stupid, but I just can’t afford any errors and right now my brain is just fried. I’m going for a big change today after considering many things and just need to try and get stable. So, I am switching to dosing all my doses in liquid and am doing it in water. I was doing one of my doses and doing 100 mg in 100 ml of water and removing my liquid from there. I want to take 540 mg all together. If I empty qty. 6 capsules in 600 ml of water, that is the correct ratio, correct? Then I would remove 60 ml to get 540 mg correct? Then from there I would remove 135 mg for each dose as I’ll be dosing every 6 hours. This is correct, right?

The brain likes predictability. If your sipping is random and variable, your brain is not getting predictability. That's just my opinion.

If it is easier to dissolve it all, then I would dissolve it all. Whatever makes it easiest to be consistent and give your brain predictability.

Maybe you could put your whole day's dose in a small canning jar or similar that comes with measurement lines and drink a certain amount at the top of every hour (or whatever works for you). But I urge you to pick a consistent schedule and stick with it for a month or more (I did 6 months) before you decide a hold isn't working.

Your other choice is to taper off and get it over with. If you truly are paradoxical, that may be the best choice. I don't know, but I think paradoxical reactions are very rare, so it's hard for me to say you should rapid taper.

Makes sense. I’m just so afraid of this drug now, so it’s hard for me to even drink the mixture due to the reactions I seem to get from it. In the same boat, I’m also worried that my dose won’t be as effective as pill form. I just really hope this new method will help me stabilize and let me live a more functional life even though it’s going to be a pain in the butt having to carry around with me, but a small price to pay if I can be back doing things! It’s my only hope at this point. There’s always the concern that I will be this sick and not stabilize and be housebound for the whole duration as it’s been hell for almost 8 months already. Getting Botox for Trigeminal Neuralgia definitely made things go downhill for sure, but it seems as though this medication has really turned on me and I don’t respond to it the way I will once used to.  I need to stay out of the hospital! Thanks again gardener99!  :smitten:

Makes sense. I’m just so afraid of this drug now, so it’s hard for me to even drink the mixture due to the reactions I seem to get from it. In the same boat, I’m also worried that my dose won’t be as effective as pill form. I just really hope this new method will help me stabilize and let me live a more functional life even though it’s going to be a pain in the butt having to carry around with me, but a small price to pay if I can be back doing things! It’s my only hope at this point. There’s always the concern that I will be this sick and not stabilize and be housebound for the whole duration as it’s been hell for almost 8 months already. Getting Botox for Trigeminal Neuralgia definitely made things go downhill for sure, but it seems as though this medication has really turned on me and I don’t respond to it the way I will once used to.  I need to stay out of the hospital! Thanks again gardener99!  :smitten:

Most people, including me, notice no difference whatsoever between the capsule and the liquid, so please don't worry about that. Sorry, I can't help you with your math. I would mess it up.

Thank you so much ThatOneGirlStitch for your response! I decided to just go for it because I just have been so unstable for so long and just can’t take it anymore. Perhaps it could make things worse, but I decided to just go for it today as my dose was already a bit screwed up.

This is going to sound stupid, but I just can’t afford any errors and right now my brain is just fried. I’m going for a big change today after considering many things and just need to try and get stable. So, I am switching to dosing all my doses in liquid and am doing it in water. I was doing one of my doses and doing 100 mg in 100 ml of water and removing my liquid from there. I want to take 540 mg all together. If I empty qty. 6 capsules in 600 ml of water, that is the correct ratio, correct? Then I would remove 60 ml to get 540 mg correct? Then from there I would remove 135 mg for each dose as I’ll be dosing every 6 hours. This is correct, right?

I could not do the math so I got my partner to do it.

They said they don't know anything about tapering, but if you are just asking about the math then the math is correct.

One day, I hopefully won’t be annoying with all my posts…

I screwed up already…. I just noticed that I’m short 30ml (30mg) for tonight’s dose. I don’t know if I made an error with taking more for one of my other three doses or when I removed the liquid from my original solution. I empty 600 mg worth of capsules into 600 ml of water, and remove 60 mg from  there to make it 540 mg. Then I take 135 mg for each dose from that solution. That’s what is supposed to happen, but didn’t today, so I’m pretty stressed out as I’m in horrible shape and don’t want to feel even worse. I am barely hanging on today. I am severely kindled and don’t know what to do. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I screwed up already…. I just noticed that I’m short 30ml (30mg) for tonight’s dose. I don’t know if I made an error with taking more for one of my other three doses or when I removed the liquid from my original solution. I empty 600 mg worth of capsules into 600 ml of water, and remove 60 mg from  there to make it 540 mg. Then I take 135 mg for each dose from that solution. That’s what is supposed to happen, but didn’t today, so I’m pretty stressed out as I’m in horrible shape and don’t want to feel even worse. I am barely hanging on today. I am severely kindled and don’t know what to do. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Nobody tapers without making mistakes. A one-off mistake is not the same thing as constantly messing with your doses. I wouldn't worry about it. When I missed a dose, I just took my next dose at the regular time.

Your not annoying. Don't ever think that!

I CTed so I don't know what to do. But I do know you got to hang on until you see light again. CTing felt like being at death's door, I was in so much pain, bedridden and had to be force fed. Just moving forward and getting through another day is how I got out.

Sorry for being a crazy poster. 🤦🏻‍♀️ I recently switched from dosing three times a day to four times a day. Originally I was taking 142 mg in the morning I would take 100 mg capsule and then make up a solution for 42 mg in water then I would take 200 mg in the afternoon and then 200 mg in the evening. That was a few days ago. Now I am taking all liquid by emptying my capsules in water. So, I take 135 mg in all water four times a day. My question is that if I switch to a 100 mg capsule and did 35 mg in water four times a day, would that screw things up? I am extremely kindled and beyond sensitive to everything and today has been a day like no other and yes I know I should have eased into things about switching all at once, but I just wanted to get the ball rolling and am tired of this poison.

Hmmm . . . at the end of the day you'll still ingest the same amount of gaba, no matter how you divide/take it. So maybe that part of it doesn't matter.

I know I obsessed when I sent from dosing 2x a day to 3 x with my valium, but, as I said, at the end of the day I still ingested the same amount.

So . . .if you think you'll feel better dosing 4 x a day, I don't see why there would be a problem.

Best,

Katz

So, if one is in tolerance withdrawal, does it help to taper and do most feel better? Or does it only work one way and that’s by increasing? I believe I have been in tolerance for some time, but cannot increase  as I’m severely kindled a few times. I’ve tried increasing, but I don’t react well from it.

So, if one is in tolerance withdrawal, does it help to taper and do most feel better?

Eventually. Tapering is usually a long process and we don't feel one bit better (at least I didn't) until the end. I really don't know what ppl mean by "tolerance withdrawal".

Most of us became tolerant to our drug i.e. it started to produce crappy s/x for us instead of wonderful things it was intended to do, then we  started a taper and the process of withdrawing.

I guess some ppl think that if they increase their dose until they feel better (?) they have a greater chance of success. I'm not sure how sound this is. 

If you don't react well to increasing, why even think about it? Why not just get on with things? Of course I don't know your history, just a suggestion. However, if you don't get on with things, then it's a given you'll never get off.

I guess I don't understand the concept of "tolerance withdrawal" and why it matters at all.

Tapering means greater or lesser discomfort. There's no way around it. Alas, that's the dirty rotten truth.

:-\

Katz

The term tolerance withdrawal means you have been staying at the same dose for an extended period, such that the body becomes tolerant to that dose, so you begin to experience withdrawals because the same dose doesn’t do what it used to. You’re right in that once you reach tolerance you either have to increase your dose (arguably a bad idea) or you have to start tapering until you finish.

I actually do get that. What I don't get is the seemingly endless perseverating about it . . . like the discussions of how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. What the heck difference does it make how you define/think of your tolerance . . . what name you give it? For heavens sake, just get on with things. If zero is your goal, work towards that.  :tickedoff:

Katz

I actually do get that. What I don't get is the seemingly endless perseverating about it . . . like the discussions of how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. What the heck difference does it make how you define/think of your tolerance . . . what name you give it? For heavens sake, just get on with things. If zero is your goal, work towards that.  :tickedoff:

Katz

I was simply asking a question in hopes of hearing others who have felt better as they tapered down once reaching tolerance. I am currently tapering down and moving towards my goal of being off all meds, otherwise I wouldn’t have found this site I am very grateful for. I’m struggling enough as it is, unsure as to how I’m going to be successful most days and to come to a site where others in similar situations should be more understanding than anyone, only to be attacked by another member is a bit upsetting. I come on here not only to hear others experiences, but to find hope when I’m feeling pretty utterly hopeless.

SeekingHope, I don’t know what’s going on with katz aggressive response but they clearly sound like an angry person with an ax to grind.  I hope you get some advice that helps, and I as someone who is also having a horrible time in tolerance with both Diazepam and Gabapentin I can relate. So here’s some love toward your way.  :smitten: 

SeekingHope, I don’t know what’s going on with katz aggressive response but they clearly sound like an angry person with an ax to grind.  I hope you get some advice that helps, and I as someone who is also having a horrible time in tolerance with both Diazepam and Gabapentin I can relate. So here’s some love toward your way.  :smitten:

I am so sorry to hear that you suffering and are in tolerance to both Gabapentin and Diazepam. One way or another, we will be off of this poison and heal from this madness. Maybe due to a lack of sleep and yet another sleepless night, I take things a little more to heart. Thank you for your kind response.  :smitten: