Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group

[Is...]

Quick question, what's a good jump level for gab? Should I just tick down to zero or is like 25mg okay?

Hopefully Katz will come and answer this. Or you could look back and see if she or anyone else on the thread who has jumped gave advice. Just as general advice, if a person made 25mg cuts without trouble, and especially below 100mg, I don't see why they couldn't jump from 25mg.

Quick question, what's a good jump level for gab? Should I just tick down to zero or is like 25mg okay?

Hopefully Katz will come and answer this. Or you could look back and see if she or anyone else on the thread who has jumped gave advice. Just as general advice, if a person made 25mg cuts without trouble, and especially below 100mg, I don't see why they couldn't jump from 25mg.

Alrighty thanks for the info. I'll go browse a bit.

Well, I jumped from an "eyeballed" dose of about 25 mgs. Not realizing I could have made a solution and tapered to zero, I jumped there. And really, I felt no ill effects the day (s) after I jumped. So to answer your question,  Knightly, 25mgs might well be okay. Especially if you are feeling all right. Being a weenie, if I had know about solutions, and had made one, I would have tapered to zero as I did with my benzo.

Hope this helps,

Katz

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome. Thanks.

As I get lower with the Gab I don't feel it as much but my sleep is worsening. Honestly not sure if I'm accidentally overcutting my xan (scale's weighing is kinda dubious) but I don't feel awful aside from no sleep and feeling hot in the evening since I take everything late at night.

Basically I might jump early since my sleep is trash anyway.

I haven't posted for a bit, but I'm definitely having to taper Gabapentin the same as Klonopin. I can feel withdrawals at 12.5mg cuts, so I've switched to microtapering.

Very similar withdrawals to K only more physical and more immediate feedback on a mistake. I'm down to 50mgs. Will micro down the rest at daily cuts for now. Probably can do 2mgs a day maybe 3mgs daily at most. I will definitely feel anything above that.

I haven't posted for a bit, but I'm definitely having to taper Gabapentin the same as Klonopin. I can feel withdrawals at 12.5mg cuts, so I've switched to microtapering.

Very similar withdrawals to K only more physical and more immediate feedback on a mistake. I'm down to 50mgs. Will micro down the rest at daily cuts for now. Probably can do 2mgs a day maybe 3mgs daily at most. I will definitely feel anything above that.

I'm sorry to hear that, but you are being wise to take it slowly. Gabapentin's shorter half life would account for feeling the withdrawals faster.

Hey digitalrob,

How long are you from stopping your K use?  Like you, i got into Liryca to mask benzo withdrawal symptoms in fact in order to be able to function,  now after the worst of benzo wd (again) i will have to taper it slowly aswell, im hoping That by doing a microtaper that this could be doable,  if you could update how its going, wishing you some luck,

Hi Gardner99, i always check on here because this is another drug i will have to slow taper after recovering one more time from benzos hope your doing fine

I m 25 months off v prescription of 15 years.  I still have nerve pain agitation restlessness and tinnitus and I feel plugged into outlet.  I m taking 900 mgs of gabapentin prescribed by doc.  Do you think it could be the gabapentin causing the sx.  it started when I ct the v, was put on gabapentin about 3 months later but have not had any relief from it at all?  All has gotten some better but am left with the above ? Any ideas?  Should I wait a while longer to see if they subside? Could the gabapentin be keeping me from healing?

U

I m 25 months off v prescription of 15 years.  I still have nerve pain agitation restlessness and tinnitus and I feel plugged into outlet.  I m taking 900 mgs of gabapentin prescribed by doc.  Do you think it could be the gabapentin causing the sx.  it started when I ct the v, was put on gabapentin about 3 months later but have not had any relief from it at all?  All has gotten some better but am left with the above ? Any ideas?  Should I wait a while longer to see if they subside? Could the gabapentin be keeping me from healing?

U

Hey upprleft,

.. I dont think its keeping you from healing,  i got scared and freaked out thinking about it keeping me of getting better, as you said things are getting better, for me too, so your still healing while on it its not keeping you and me from it, probably waiting until things gets real stable its the best to do

For me by taking more then 300 mg of liryca( strongest drug) instead of just calming me down i feel some sort of activation,  its a side effect, but again in my opnion its not keeping or preventing you to heal from benzos, but its another drug that the best you can do is going slow, or very slow ,

Its hard to know if those are a side effects from the drug or if they are benzo related only,  the second its my best guess

Thank you I will wait another month or so and reevaluate how I feel.  Will not attempt tapering it yet.  My stuff started when I CT’d off the v.  Although I do not feel better or worse when I take the G I will hold out.  Take care Gsrdener…I will check in as I can.

Peace

U

I am seeing a lot about a gabapentin solution in this thread.  Are you guys just mixing it with a certain amount of water and then pulling some out? Can anyone share how they make their solution and what they use to draw their dose?  I'm on 400mg 4x/day=1600mg.  I've tried to taper off gabapentin before my doctor said I could reduce by 400mg a pop.  I had the worst insomnia for days on end, serious heat/flushing on face and ears, you know the drill.  I am not ready to taper it until I finish the benzo taper many months down the road.  Can I just get some taper advice.  Has opening up the capsules and pouring some out on a scale worked well for most?  Gabapentin has just become a controlled monitored substance in my state.  It is  almost as evil as Xanax with its short acting effects imho, but Xanax takes the cake.  Please share your gabapentin tapering plans with me! Thank you! :)

I am seeing a lot about a gabapentin solution in this thread.  Are you guys just mixing it with a certain amount of water and then pulling some out? Can anyone share how they make their solution and what they use to draw their dose?  I'm on 400mg 4x/day=1600mg.  I've tried to taper off gabapentin before my doctor said I could reduce by 400mg a pop.  I had the worst insomnia for days on end, serious heat/flushing on face and ears, you know the drill.  I am not ready to taper it until I finish the benzo taper many months down the road.  Can I just get some taper advice.  Has opening up the capsules and pouring some out on a scale worked well for most?  Gabapentin has just become a controlled monitored substance in my state.  It is  almost as evil as Xanax with its short acting effects imho, but Xanax takes the cake.  Please share your gabapentin tapering plans with me! Thank you! :)

Hi widesky,

I think that on gardner99 blog have some info about it , just wait her to chime in to let you know,

on survivingantidepressants.org there is some good informations about making a liquid solution to slow taper Lyrica, and gabapentin its water solube too, you must calculate how many mg you will be pulling out on each ML , by  making a solution of 150 mg of lyrica into 150ml of water, by pulling out 1 ml you will be removing 1 mg,  best you can do is not even think about it until you recover enough from benzos,

Hi widesky,

I think that on gardner99 blog have some info about it , just wait her to chime in to let you know,

on survivingantidepressants.org there is some good informations about making a liquid solution to slow taper Lyrica, and gabapentin its water solube too, you must calculate how many mg you will be pulling out on each ML , by  making a solution of 150 mg of lyrica into 150ml of water, by pulling out 1 ml you will be removing 1 mg,  best you can do is not even think about it until you recover enough from benzos,

You're right Denniz, your information was helpful, though!

Jumping in here regarding recent discussions.

Thumbs up to surviving antidepressants. :thumbsup: I gathered a lot of info from there. They do poly-drudging, which is helpful. If you join, you can see their benzo thread, too.

I agree, too, that gabapentin does not keep you from healing. It's pretty typical of people to become tolerant of a dose of gabapentin and then it does nothing any more. But I don't see why it would keep you from healing. I got off my benzo and improved my sleep while still on it.

Gabapentin is very poorly absorbed at higher doses, so wide's doctor may have thought the first 400mg would come off easily. I think that was VERY overly optimistic of him.

I think Katz did a dry taper by pouring the powder out of the capsules. Maybe she only eyeballed it. I think if you look back she has posted about that recently. A scale would likely work better than eyeballing. I liquefied because I get so impatient with scales.

The link to my p-log is in my signature below. I put details of my methods of liquefying in there. Gabapentin is water soluble, so easy to liquefy. I can't recall my ratios off the top of my head. I'm doing tiny bits off my Seroquel tablets now and will get back to the gabapentin after I move.

Hope that was helpful and I didn't miss anything. :)

I've been taking Gaba recently for a better sleep but no more than 300 mg a day, usually 150mg, half a capsule put in my tea at night.

I didn't think it was addictive!

I've been taking it since I came off valium, should I stop taking it?

If so, should I taper it?

\\

I've been taking Gaba recently for a better sleep but no more than 300 mg a day, usually 150mg, half a capsule put in my tea at night.

\\

If you take it daily, yes, you can become dependent on it. You can also habituate to it so that it stops working. 150mg is a small dose. I guess you should think about the risk of habituating and needing it to sleep or needing a higher and higher dose. Is the risk worth it?

Some people taper off of it quickly and easily. Those of us who have been on benzos seem to have a harder time.

\\

If you take it daily, yes, you can become dependent on it. You can also habituate to it so that it stops working. 150mg is a small dose. I guess you should think about the risk of habituating and needing it to sleep or needing a higher and higher dose. Is the risk worth it?

Some people taper off of it quickly and easily. Those of us who have been on benzos seem to have a harder time.

Thanks for the reply.

I'll taper off it slowly and gradually, I know how to do that now :)

Gardener

I take 300 3x a day I get no relief and have not since I started it?  Should I be feeling any relief?

U

I would think so, but I'm not sure. Have you tried asking in Other Medications? You maybe find someone there who is using it. I will say one thing, any relief would likely be temporary. It is very typical for people to habituate to their gabapentin dose. My feeling is when doctors prescribe it for benzo withdrawal, they think the withdrawal symptoms will be short so the person will not need the gabapentin very long. Sadly, they are usually wrong.

\\

Thanks for the reply.

I'll taper off it slowly and gradually, I know how to do that now :)

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
[80...]
I'm down to 600 mg. gabapentin from 2400 and things were going smoothly until I got to 600.  Now I'm having constant waves of queasiness.  Has anyone else experienced this and did it go away?

I'm down to 600 mg. gabapentin from 2400 and things were going smoothly until I got to 600.  Now I'm having constant waves of queasiness.  Has anyone else experienced this and did it go away?

No, I didn't, but I did find the w/d got more difficult the lower I went.

[80...]

Are you off of it?  What kind of withdrawal symptoms did you have?

Are you off of it?  What kind of withdrawal symptoms did you have?

No, I switched to tapering Seroquel when I got to even capsules of gabapentin. My symptoms were like mild benzo symptoms.