Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group

[Is...]

Sorry, I do not comment on "gabapentinoids" in general because I have zero experience with pregabalin. I am now hesitant to even comment on gabapentin because of what went on previously with buddies on this thread saying gabapentinoids were so similar they could be lumped together. I don't believe they are.

I have one comment about gabapentin that may be helpful. As your dose of gabapentin increases, its bioavailability dramatically decreases.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2009/020235s041,020882s028,021129s027lbl.pdf  (Scroll down to bioavailability.)

So, you may very well be able to make large cuts when you begin your gabapentin taper, but you may need to make smaller cuts as you get lower.

I no longer frequent this thread. There are more details about my gabapentin taper on my p-log, linked below. I started it after my Librium taper, in November 2019.

Please note, these comments are about gabapentin only. And I am not on here daily any longer so may or may not see questions directed to me.

Best wishes on you taper.

I am reading on here that people are just 300mg of gabbapentin and experience issues- isn’t that a very low dose? Doctor told me that a starting dose is 300mg 3x daily (so 900) minimum- just to potentially see effects— the. The doctor said u can go up if pain persists up to 1200mg (3xdaily - so that would be 3,600mg).  Am I missing something or misunderstanding the dosage folks are on? How in the world can I doctor say 900mg is minimum to experience a semblance of efficacy when folks are talking about 100mgs and having problems. Isn’t that too low?

Gardener and deniz—-I will go back and read your p log— but if u come across this first— what were u prescribed gabbapentin for, can I ask the dose, and did it help temporarily?

Deniz were u on it for only 7 months and it started causing problems? How do u know it was from the gabba?

Can anyone point me to a withdrawal schedule of gabbapentin when u are on dosages like my neurologist is prescribing?  Anton been told 900mg- 3400mg?  I would feel better if I have an escape plan.

I am reading on here that people are just 300mg of gabbapentin and experience issues- isn’t that a very low dose? Doctor told me that a starting dose is 300mg 3x daily (so 900) minimum- just to potentially see effects— the. The doctor said u can go up if pain persists up to 1200mg (3xdaily - so that would be 3,600mg).  Am I missing something or misunderstanding the dosage folks are on? How in the world can I doctor say 900mg is minimum to experience a semblance of efficacy when folks are talking about 100mgs and having problems. Isn’t that too low?

Gardener and deniz—-I will go back and read your p log— but if u come across this first— what were u prescribed gabbapentin for, can I ask the dose, and did it help temporarily?

Deniz were u on it for only 7 months and it started causing problems? How do u know it was from the gabba?

Can anyone point me to a withdrawal schedule of gabbapentin when u are on dosages like my neurologist is prescribing?  Anton been told 900mg- 3400mg?  I would feel better if I have an escape plan.

Im on lyrica, its from the same class of gabapetin, its stronger , im 5 years on it  , i began using on my previous attempt, i was very disabled and very symptomatic at 10 months off , it suddenly masked the worst of it as i tried to explain above,  english is not the firsr lamguage here,

Note that nothing can mask the symptoms of acute and the chemical anxiety induced by the drug wd and injury..

Idk how you will react to it

And its not an essy drug to wd, but i belive none of those drugs are, and benzos and z drugs are the worst ones

As with most psych meds, people can have a lot of trouble tapering from doses below what doctors call the "therapeutic dose."

See my p-log (linked in my sig) from November 2019. I just added a couple of gabapentin notes there.

• 1 month later...

Hi Buddies,,

I got directed to this thread from a Mod. I have been daily micro tapering K nearly finished. I had a stash of Gabapentin and have used it on days instead of a rescue dose of Klonopin with good success. I usually use Gabapentin to stop symtoms and then hold. Recently I've been nearing the end of my Taper and have been using Gabapentin every other day. What is my withdrawal risk with Gabapentin. I'm barely functional the last few days and have used it for sleep. I've never gone more than 3 days in a row, but I'm unsure if I'm having just benzo withdrawal or Gabapentin withdrawals too.

I'm pretty terrified as I was 95% done with my K taper and now that I held K and tried to stop Gabapentin, I'm having great worst withdrawals I've had yet. I can't tell the difference between masked withdrawals and Gabapenwith withdrawals. I never took the pills more than 3 nights in a row. I literally don't know what to do next. I can't seem to cut K anymore, and I'm in the worst state I've been in yet. Should I continue to hold and avoid the Gabapentin? Is 200mgs at 30 staggered days enough to create full blown dependence? I have to work again soon.

I don't want to start a 10% taper on a new drug that I barely used. That would double my taper. If I have depdence, can it really be that deep? Is there a way to test? Previously I could go 5 days without Gabapentin at all just 2 weeks ago. I'm terrified as these symptoms are worse than I've had yet. I cannot tell if it's masked K or Gabeoentin. Would updosing tell me?

[f0...]

Hi Buddies,,

I got directed to this thread from a Mod. I have been daily micro tapering K nearly finished. I had a stash of Gabapentin and have used it on days instead of a rescue dose of Klonopin with good success. I usually use Gabapentin to stop symtoms and then hold. Recently I've been nearing the end of my Taper and have been using Gabapentin every other day. What is my withdrawal risk with Gabapentin. I'm barely functional the last few days and have used it for sleep. I've never gone more than 3 days in a row, but I'm unsure if I'm having just benzo withdrawal or Gabapentin withdrawals too.

I'm pretty terrified as I was 95% done with my K taper and now that I held K and tried to stop Gabapentin, I'm having great worst withdrawals I've had yet. I can't tell the difference between masked withdrawals and Gabapenwith withdrawals. I never took the pills more than 3 nights in a row. I literally don't know what to do next. I can't seem to cut K anymore, and I'm in the worst state I've been in yet. Should I continue to hold and avoid the Gabapentin? Is 200mgs at 30 staggered days enough to create full blown dependence? I have to work again soon.

I don't want to start a 10% taper on a new drug that I barely used. That would double my taper. If I have depdence, can it really be that deep? Is there a way to test? Previously I could go 5 days without Gabapentin at all just 2 weeks ago. I'm terrified as these symptoms are worse than I've had yet. I cannot tell if it's masked K or Gabeoentin. Would updosing tell me?

Try delta8, its been a godsend for me.

Hi Buddies,,

I'm sorry you're in this rough spot. Actually, I tried to use gabapentin in a similar way, about 3 days in a row, alternating with the Seroquel for a few days, and a day or two of no sleep aid. And I got hooked on it. I don't know how long it took to get hooked. I just know I felt awful. I had done that for many months before a doctor told me to stop. She said, "The brain likes predictability." She had me take each of my meds the same way each day until I felt better (it took months) and then start my taper over again.

I would say it is possible you are dependent on the gabapentin, but there is no way to know with certainty given how you've been mixing the G and the K. Some people have a bad withdrawals at very low doses of their benzo, so it could just be that you've hit that hard low dose. Or it could be that the G has been masking your K symptoms and now that the G is gone, you are shocked at how bad your K withdrawal is. Or it could be you are dependent on the G.

I would say reinstate the G as a test, but I'm not sure it would tell you anything. So you need to decide what your priorities are at this moment. Can you tolerate what could possibly be a cold turkey off the gabapentin? Or a rapid taper off the G while still in K withdrawal? Or do you need to get stable right now?

If you decide to stabilize on your gabapentin dose, don't worry too much about how long it will take to taper off of it. It may be easier to taper. At any rate, it dissolves in water so you can liquefy it and you can take it slowly and may find it impacts your life very little except for the nuisance of the dissolving.

I'm not on here every day anymore, but I hope what I shared was helpful. I found info on gabapentin on survivingantidepressants.org. You might want to read over there, too.

BTW, gabapentin has a fairly short half life. I found I felt better dosing it 3x/day. You may be able to dose only twice, but consider dosing 3 times if you are having a bad time.

Thank you. Very helpful actually.

I reinstated at just 100mgs of G, and 70% of my symptoms reduced.  But as you said, I'm not sure if that tells us anything as it could be masking withdrawals or could be its own withdrawal.

I believe it's masking, because the symptoms are still there just decreased.

Looking at my logs, it appears that my taper got a lot harder at the end and my usual cuts were causing me trouble. Hard to say if the Gabapentin is cause or effect as I ramped it up near the end due to the withdrawal effects.

100 mgs does not make me sleepy or euphoric. It was just enough to knock down some symptoms. If it's the G, since it's half life is so short, wouldn't I feel withdrawals pretty quickly? Like it's completely out of your system in 4 to 5 half lives which is about a day.

My instincts tell me to keep the G as low as possible and finish the taper.

Let me know your thoughts if you're on again.

Thank you. Very helpful actually.

I reinstated at just 100mgs of G, and 70% of my symptoms reduced.  But as you said, I'm not sure if that tells us anything as it could be masking withdrawals or could be its own withdrawal.

I believe it's masking, because the symptoms are still there just decreased.

Looking at my logs, it appears that my taper got a lot harder at the end and my usual cuts were causing me trouble. Hard to say if the Gabapentin is cause or effect as I ramped it up near the end due to the withdrawal effects.

100 mgs does not make me sleepy or euphoric. It was just enough to knock down some symptoms. If it's the G, since it's half life is so short, wouldn't I feel withdrawals pretty quickly? Like it's completely out of your system in 4 to 5 half lives which is about a day.

My instincts tell me to keep the G as low as possible and finish the taper.

Let me know your thoughts if you're on again.

I would think so (about the half life). If I missed a dose, I started to feel the effects about 6-8 hours after the missed dose.

So you plan to keep the gabapentin at 100mg and finish the K taper? If so, I would take the G at the same time every day so your brain gets some predictability.

One caution would be to wait awhile after finishing one taper before starting the next.

So I ran a test.

Updosing K and holding did nothing.

Taking Gabapentin and the symptoms went away. I think I traded dependencies.

How hard is 200mg Gabapentin to get off of?

So I ran a test.

Most people do not have that much trouble with gabapentin. I was on a low dose for nerve pain many years ago and only took a few months to get off. However, it seems a bit harder now post-benzo, possibly because I got a bit impatient and tried to power quickly through it. Finally I had to pause it and get my feet back under me. After I move this December, I will do a slow liquid taper with the goal of little/no symptoms. I think you will be able to do the same if you wait until you are recovered from the K before you start.

it has been years since I have posted. I did three cold turkey withdrawals from high does of benzodiazepines. The last was the most horrific experience of my life. My withdrawal was mentally excruciating and terrifying. I had multiple psychiatric stays and even time in ICU'S after poisoning my self with alcohol. I didn't want to die I just wanted to sleep. I would go days and days without sleep...to the point of hallucinating. I almost died 4 times.

During my last withdrawal I was prescribed 2400 mg of gabapentin. I settled in at 1800 mg. I somewhat stabilized after almost a year. Eventually I tapered myself off EXTREMELY slowly. it took me over a year to go from 1800 to 600. I never told my doctor so my prescriptions continued to be filled for the higher dose. I have 2000 tablets in my cupboard, mind you expired, but probably still effective. I didn't know til this summer that gabapentin should never be dosed just once a day. My head felt like I was on bad speed everyday. I always thought it was protracted withdrawal from the benzodiazepine cold turkey withdrawals.

This july I bought one of those 7 day pill containers and proceeded to fill it for a upcoming trip.

I don't ever throw out medication. I don't know why. Anyway when filling my propranolol in my new medication organizer I thought you know I have a bottle with some old ones in the cupboard.  However what I filled my container with was not propanolol but instead 7 year old clonazepam. They look almost identical.  I didn't realize my mistake for weeks. Weeks before I realized what I did. I took one on June 30 and July 1 and 2nd. I felt no effect from them. I have a lifetime tolerance to benzodiazepines. On July 6th I was in the emergency room. My anxiety was through the roof and I was suicidal. Doctors felt my problem was that I tapered my gabapentin from 1800 to 600. They had me follow up with a doctor who saw me for the first time. My dose was increased to 1800 over three weeks. During that time I experienced brain zaps, extreme anxiety and insane insomnia. after three weeks I realized my pill organizer horrific error. I though I would never have to experience any kind of withdrawal again.

So the increased 1800 of gabapentin did ease some of the symptoms

Good God I only took 2 clonazepam.  During this time I also began a insanely high dose of magnesium glycinate. 1000 mg divided into 4 doses. After 5 weeks I realized it was the root cause of why my brain was feeling so badly. So i suddenly stopped ( which i now know you shouldn't do...even with supplements. It whipped me right into a benzodiazepine withdrawal. So, I misused my gabapentin for 4 days. I increased my dose to 2800 and divided it into 6 or 7 does...something I now know you shouldn't do. I have now gone back to 2100 mg divided into 6 or 7 doses...I know. I know. However, since doing that I am now experiencing horrible benzodiazepine like withdrawal symptoms, all mental. I can't do this again. I am at witts end. I just called my clinic to make an appointment to see a doctor. Again one who has never seen me. One who doesn't know my history. I realized the moment I hung up the phone that I can't go. I know they will taper me off in a matter of days or weeks. I know from my past history it will take months. Remember I have an arsenal of gabapentin to do a very very slow taper but I don't know how to stabilize on 1800 and to get back on to three times a day. I am terrified. I was on the benzobuddy team for years, yet I dont know how to advise myself. I appreciate any input.  I also think I have reached tolerance with the gabapentin. I am scared.

So I ran a test.

You are fortunate to be on a low dose to start from. I am trying to figure out how to get off 2100. Still I think you should do a slow taper...no more than 10 percent to start

it has been years since I have posted. I did three cold turkey withdrawals from high does of benzodiazepines....

During my last withdrawal I was prescribed 2400 mg of gabapentin. I settled in at 1800 mg. I somewhat stabilized after almost a year. Eventually I tapered myself off EXTREMELY slowly. it took me over a year to go from 1800 to 600. I never told my doctor so my prescriptions continued to be filled for the higher dose. I have 2000 tablets in my cupboard, mind you expired, but probably still effective. I didn't know til this summer that gabapentin should never be dosed just once a day. My head felt like I was on bad speed everyday. I always thought it was protracted withdrawal from the benzodiazepine cold turkey withdrawals.

This july I bought one of those 7 day pill containers and proceeded to fill it for a upcoming trip.

I don't ever throw out medication. I don't know why. Anyway when filling my propranolol in my new medication organizer I thought you know I have a bottle with some old ones in the cupboard.  However what I filled my container with was not propanolol but instead 7 year old clonazepam. They look almost identical.  I didn't realize my mistake for weeks. Weeks before I realized what I did. I took one on June 30 and July 1 and 2nd. I felt no effect from them. I have a lifetime tolerance to benzodiazepines. On July 6th I was in the emergency room. My anxiety was through the roof.... Doctors felt my problem was that I tapered my gabapentin from 1800 to 600. They had me follow up with a doctor who saw me for the first time. My dose was increased to 1800 over three weeks. During that time I experienced brain zaps, extreme anxiety and insane insomnia. after three weeks I realized my pill organizer horrific error. I though I would never have to experience any kind of withdrawal again.

So the increased 1800 of gabapentin did ease some of the symptoms

Good God I only took 2 clonazepam.  During this time I also began a insanely high dose of magnesium glycinate. 1000 mg divided into 4 doses. After 5 weeks I realized it was the root cause of why my brain was feeling so badly. So i suddenly stopped ( which i now know you shouldn't do...even with supplements. It whipped me right into a benzodiazepine withdrawal. So, I misused my gabapentin for 4 days. I increased my dose to 2800 and divided it into 6 or 7 does...something I now know you shouldn't do. I have now gone back to 2100 mg divided into 6 or 7 doses...I know. I know. However, since doing that I am now experiencing horrible benzodiazepine like withdrawal symptoms, all mental. I can't do this again. I am at witts end. I just called my clinic to make an appointment to see a doctor. Again one who has never seen me. One who doesn't know my history. I realized the moment I hung up the phone that I can't go. I know they will taper me off in a matter of days or weeks. I know from my past history it will take months. Remember I have an arsenal of gabapentin to do a very very slow taper but I don't know how to stabilize on 1800 and to get back on to three times a day. I am terrified. I was on the benzobuddy team for years, yet I dont know how to advise myself. I appreciate any input.  I also think I have reached tolerance with the gabapentin. I am scared.

I'm sorry to hear this, benzos-R. This must be a scary situation for you. Do try to remind yourself that part of this is chemical fear, not based on how bad the situation is rather based on how wobbly your brain chemistry is. Reminding myself of that didn't get rid of it but it did help to keep me from spiraling out of control.

I'm not sure why you need 6 doses/day. I would think 3 or 4 doses would be enough. G is cleared through the kidneys. For people with normal kidney function, I would think the clearance rate would not be so variable as drugs metabolized in the liver. But I'm not sure. I mostly know about liver differences. If it helps you though, it helps you.

I have heard about magnesium affecting some people. Maybe you just have too many things going on for your brain to cope.

I will repeat what my doctor told me, "The brain likes predictability. Take the same amount of the same drug at the same time every day until you stabilize." That's what I did. And I hung out in the Long Hold group for many months. It did eventually work.

One thing about G, the higher doses are absorbed very poorly. So when you do decide to taper, you may find you can taper quickly down to a lower dose. I found that to be true myself. I was able to go very quickly until I hit 100mg G 3x/day. Then it got rough. I'm stopped there for now. I've stopped all my tapering for now. I will pick up again after my move. Sometimes the time is just not right to taper. It's a marathon for sure. But a marathon that we will win.

I like your plan of keeping your taper under your own control rather than asking a doctor for hep. If you've kept your gabapentin in a cool dry place, it will likely be good for several years past its expiration date.

If the 6 times is very burdensome to you and causing extra stress, I would suggest pick a dosing schedule that works for your schedule. Maybe 4 times/day? I personally wouldn't go less than 3 times/day. Once you decide, don't add or change anything. Determine to stick with it until you stabilize. Know it could take several months. Hang out on Long Hold if need be. When I was there, they were a great help.

I have a bit of info on tapering G on my p-log, but don't plan for it now. Plan for stabilizing!

One more thing, let's be careful about repeating stories about ER visits and suicidal ideation. We don't want to trigger vulnerable people.

You can do this! :smitten:

P.S. I pitched out my old benzo. You probably should, too!

wow what a great reply. thank you so much.

You're very welcome. I'm sure you actually knew most of that stuff. Sometimes we just need reassurance. (Been there, done that ;).)

Started cutting my 300mg gab doses beginning early July because I couldn't get another script after ditching my hack psych doc for this benzo debacle months ago.

Anyway, started initially by cutting 30mg every 2 weeks (removing powder by weight on a scale). It's been going alright until now, as I'm nearing 115mg right now and finally starting to feel it. I'll probably slow down a little since I have a modest stockpile of powder collected from the reductions in a bottle.

Started cutting my 300mg gab doses beginning early July because I couldn't get another script after ditching my hack psych doc for this benzo debacle months ago.

Anyway, started initially by cutting 30mg every 2 weeks (removing powder by weight on a scale). It's been going alright until now, as I'm nearing 115mg right now and finally starting to feel it. I'll probably slow down a little since I have a modest stockpile of powder collected from the reductions in a bottle.

If you have a stash, slowing down sounds like a good plan to me. :thumbsup:

I haven't yet stabilized, but I'm certain it's the Gabapentin and not Klonopin. I'm still in somewhat disbelief as I never took the drug 3 days in a row. It seems like my adaptation happened super quickly. Like in a few weeks quickly. Is that because of the recent K taper?

Also what was the other website that talks about Gabapentin tapers?

I haven't yet stabilized, but I'm certain it's the Gabapentin and not Klonopin. I'm still in somewhat disbelief as I never took the drug 3 days in a row. It seems like my adaptation happened super quickly. Like in a few weeks quickly. Is that because of the recent K taper?

Also what was the other website that talks about Gabapentin tapers?

It could be because you are not yet over the K. It's hard to know when doing 2 tapers close together.

survivingantidepressants.org deals with many psych meds, has a private benzo thread that you can't see until you've joined, and deals with poly-drugging.

Gardener I see you're holding at 300 mgs. I might face gabapentin taper one day if I ever come off the frikking val. Down to 1.60 as per last cut six days ago but I'm going extremely slow so it might take two years. I was hoping if I ever get off the V that the gabapentin wouldn't be as awful but who knows. May I ask what sxs you have that have made you stop tapering the gaba? Same old anxiety, fear etc? Or different from benzos? Wishing you great success with your goals in life and with the damn taper in particular.

valiumno, I'm not gardener, but I thought I'd chime in here with some encouragement. I tapered down from 2300 to 900 mgs in large reductions with no trouble. Then I began a more "systematic" taper. I broke open 100 mg capsules and tried to reduce by 50 mgs a week. Not very scientific. Duh, I didn't know gaba is water soluble.

Anyhow, my point is that my gaba taper was nowhere near as bad as my benzo taper. The last 100 mgs of gaba was a bit dicey. But as I recall my chief s/x were dizziness, a bit of nausea, and headaches. It was all quite tolerable. And then I got to zero . . . and done!

Hope this is helpful to you.

Best,

Katz

Thanks Katz. Very helpful indeed. I'll keep that in mind. How long were you on the gaba? I've been on it two years so far. By the time I finish the val taper it'll be four or five years because I want to be fully functional in life.

VNM, I agree with Katz. The gabapentin taper was not as bad as the benzo taper. It was similar symptoms but much, much milder. I decided to stop when I was at even capsules so I wouldn't have to dissolve for awhile. My daughter was getting married and I was getting ready to move (or so I thought) and I wanted to be at even capsules when those things happened. Then I decided getting lower on the Seroquel was more important to me than finishing the G taper, so I switched to tapering Q. It was more of a timing thing rather than G being so awful.

VNM, I agree with Katz. The gabapentin taper was not as bad as the benzo taper. It was similar symptoms but much, much milder. I decided to stop when I was at even capsules so I wouldn't have to dissolve for awhile. My daughter was getting married and I was getting ready to move (or so I thought) and I wanted to be at even capsules when those things happened. Then I decided getting lower on the Seroquel was more important to me than finishing the G taper, so I switched to tapering Q. It was more of a timing thing rather than G being so awful.

Thanks Gardener. I also think gabapentin might be helping me sleep at niight, which would be a reason not to rush the night dose taper for those of us with sleeping problems.