Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group

[Is...]

I have a question for the members here. I have been tapering for 11 months off of 2.5 mgs of xanax and am down to .5 per day. It's been tough but gabapentin has helped me a lot. I only take 100 mgs a day and my doc says it's only placebo at such a low dose which I don't agree with but he told me to keep taking it. I have gained 40 pounds and I keep wondering if gabapentin is part of the cause. I also have swelling in my legs but the docs don't seem to think anything of it. It's mild.

Anyway, I thought I'd experiment with dumping out half of my gabapentin capsule, trying to make a 50 mg dose. I take it before bed. It was a disaster. I couldn't get to sleep and my brain went nuts. My ocd is bad already but my tiks got worse and I ended up having to go take more gabapentin so I could get back to sleep.

So, I'm clearly dependant on it now. That's a bummer but at the same time, I think I should probably finish my xanax taper before I attempt to stop the gabapentin again. Any thoughts about that? Anyone else get dependant at such a low dose? Could such a low dose cause so much weight gain?

Thanks!

I have a question for the members here. I have been tapering for 11 months off of 2.5 mgs of xanax and am down to .5 per day. It's been tough but gabapentin has helped me a lot. I only take 100 mgs a day and my doc says it's only placebo at such a low dose which I don't agree with but he told me to keep taking it. I have gained 40 pounds and I keep wondering if gabapentin is part of the cause. I also have swelling in my legs but the docs don't seem to think anything of it. It's mild.

Anyway, I thought I'd experiment with dumping out half of my gabapentin capsule, trying to make a 50 mg dose. I take it before bed. It was a disaster. I couldn't get to sleep and my brain went nuts. My ocd is bad already but my tiks got worse and I ended up having to go take more gabapentin so I could get back to sleep.

So, I'm clearly dependant on it now. That's a bummer but at the same time, I think I should probably finish my xanax taper before I attempt to stop the gabapentin again. Any thoughts about that? Anyone else get dependant at such a low dose? Could such a low dose cause so much weight gain?

Thanks!

If you were able to jump off the gabapentin easily, it might be worth it to just get rid of it. But it seems not. I suggest you finish the benzo taper, wait until you're feeling very stable, and then take up the gabapentin taper. I am down to 100mg of G myself and having significant sleep problems from my last cut. It's not a placebo. Some doctors say the craziest things. ::)

As for weight gain and swelling, I personally never had those problems even though I was on a much higher dose than you. Maybe someone else will know about that.

BTW, gabapentin is water soluble. I taper mine by dumping the capsule in water and shaking it up. You get a more accurate measurement measuring the liquid than you would from eyeballing a capsule.

Thanks!

If you were able to jump off the gabapentin easily, it might be worth it to just get rid of it. But it seems not. I suggest you finish the benzo taper, wait until you're feeling very stable, and then take up the gabapentin taper. I am down to 100mg of G myself and having significant sleep problems from my last cut. It's not a placebo. Some doctors say the craziest things. ::)

As for weight gain and swelling, I personally never had those problems even though I was on a much higher dose than you. Maybe someone else will know about that.

BTW, gabapentin is water soluble. I taper mine by dumping the capsule in water and shaking it up. You get a more accurate measurement measuring the liquid than you would from eyeballing a capsule.

Thanks for your reply, that is all very helpful. I'm definitely going to stay on it until I finish my Xanax taper.  :)

• 4 weeks later...

was able to get off benzodiazepines.

However the psychiatrist used gabapentin to help.

I was up to 2200 mg a day.  I slowly weaned off to 1200 mg a day but then stopped weaning and now I am having similar issues that I had before I slowly weaned off benzos.

I’m not sure if it makes sense to updose til I’m stable before weaning again.

I’m having issues with the new psychiatrist and switching antidepressants.

Any ideas or experiences that could help please.

Thank you

I was up to 2200 mg a day.  I slowly weaned off to 1200 mg a day but then stopped weaning and now I am having similar issues that I had before I slowly weaned off benzos.

Thank you

Similar to my experience. I updosed and am holding, slowly getting my feet back under me. Updosing sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I waited 3 months to decided I had cut too much which was probably pushing the edges of waiting too long. If you can tolerate your current symptoms, just holding may be enough and may work better. If you've switched antidepressants, that may be the problem. You might want to try the site survivingantidepressants.org. They do a lot with polydrugging. Don't lose heart. It can be along journey but it will be worth it in the end.

Ok well I appreciate your response

It’s so disappointing to go through the hard work of getting off a benzo, to yet again feel this terrible

quote author=gardener99 link=topic=84267.msg3175844#msg3175844 date=1608069450]

[

quote author=Brooklyn1998 link=topic=84267.msg3175841#msg3175841 date=1608069078]

Thank you

Similar to my experience. I updosed and am holding, slowly getting my feet back under me. Updosing sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I waited 3 months to decided I had cut too much which was probably pushing the edges of waiting too long. If you can tolerate your current symptoms, just holding may be enough and may work better. If you've switched antidepressants, that may be the problem. You might want to try the site survivingantidepressants.org. They do a lot with polydrugging. Don't lose heart. It can be along journey but it will be worth it in the end.

It’s so disappointing to go through the hard work of getting off a benzo, to yet again feel this terrible

I understand. I was so disappointed, too. We have gotten off the worst drug, IMHO. So we have done well.

I understand. I was so disappointed, too. We have gotten off the worst drug, IMHO. So we have done well.

So I’m just starting cymbalta after stopping Prozac.

My last dose of Benzo was March 2019, and basically every four/five months since then I have these waves of what feels like intolerance during benzo w/d.

I thought it was my prozac but just powered through, til now trying a new Antidepressant.

Now I’m wondering is it the gabapentin.

My psychiatrist keeps bringing up the gabapentin and why am I on so much.  It was his colleague who prescribed.  Anyway if I try to see a neurologist to slowly liquid taper off gabapentin what do I say to get the appointment?

Any thoughts?

I’m really struggling to even out but I do deep breathing and I hope it evens out soon.

So I’m just starting cymbalta after stopping Prozac.

My last dose of Benzo was March 2019, and basically every four/five months since then I have these waves of what feels like intolerance during benzo w/d.

I thought it was my prozac but just powered through, til now trying a new Antidepressant.

Now I’m wondering is it the gabapentin.

My psychiatrist keeps bringing up the gabapentin and why am I on so much.  It was his colleague who prescribed.  Anyway if I try to see a neurologist to slowly liquid taper off gabapentin what do I say to get the appointment?

Any thoughts?

I’m really struggling to even out but I do deep breathing and I hope it evens out soon.

I have done most of my tapering without helps from doctors. I found they pushed me to taper too fast so I stopped asking them and did it on my own. If you were not put on the med for a neurological problem, I don't know why you would need a neurologist to get off of it.

You're on a lot of different meds, so I wouldn't hazard a guess about whether problems are caused by the gabapentin or not. I suggest you try survivingantidepressants.org. They deal with poly-drugging and have helpful information about gabapentin.:thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
Hi all. I'm only taking 100 mgs of gabapentin a day. I want to stop it though because of dizziness and eye issues. I see an eye doc at the end of Feb but I just don't want to stay on it. My vision has been blurry and it seems to cause other side effects as well. My doc says to just stop it without tapering because it's the lowest dose. I dumped out half a capsule thinking that it would be a kind of taper to take around 50 mgs for a few days. I feel pretty rough today. Migraine and stomach ache. Not sure if it's a coincidence or if it's withdrawal. Last night did the same, took about 50 mgs. I feel kind of mild withdrawal symptoms but might be good to just push through and try to get off of this. Just wondering if that seems reasonable to taper for a few more days and then stop?

Hi all. I'm only taking 100 mgs of gabapentin a day. I want to stop it though because of dizziness and eye issues. I see an eye doc at the end of Feb but I just don't want to stay on it. My vision has been blurry and it seems to cause other side effects as well. My doc says to just stop it without tapering because it's the lowest dose. I dumped out half a capsule thinking that it would be a kind of taper to take around 50 mgs for a few days. I feel pretty rough today. Migraine and stomach ache. Not sure if it's a coincidence or if it's withdrawal. Last night did the same, took about 50 mgs. I feel kind of mild withdrawal symptoms but might be good to just push through and try to get off of this. Just wondering if that seems reasonable to taper for a few more days and then stop?

I'm sorry about your symptoms. I sympathize with your desire to get off. I would love to get rid of this med. I'm having adverse effects from it, too.

Many people report symptoms from gabapentin tapering, especially at lower doses. I used to be on a higher dose that I tapered away with minimal symptoms, but when I got to the lower doses (100mg 3x/day) I got clobbered. Gabapentin is absorbed very poorly at higher doses, so probably that's why it was easier to taper the higher dose.

I did my gabapentin taper by dumping the capsule into water and shaking it up. It is water soluble, so it was easy to liquefy. I mixed up about a week's worth and kept in the refrigerator in a canning jar with a tight lid. Because I am a bit paranoid, I shook it up again before I pulled my dose using an oral syringe. Generally I reduced by 10% and then waited to feel better and then reduced by another 10%. Then I got impatient and started cutting even though I still felt bad (rather similar to benzo symptoms but not as severe), which turned out to be a mistake. I had to updose. I'm still waiting to stabilize from that.

I would urge some caution rather than pressing on. Maybe try liquefying so you can make a smaller cut. You may find it much easier to taper if you make smaller cuts.

Hi g99... I looked at your blog and saw your post about probiotics. Was wondering if you'd found a specific brand you liked/recommended?

Hi g99... I looked at your blog and saw your post about probiotics. Was wondering if you'd found a specific brand you liked/recommended?

Right now I'm using Vitacost's Probiotic 15-35. I look for a probiotic with billions of active cultures, many different strains, shelf stability, and protection from stomach acids.

Right now I'm using Vitacost's Probiotic 15-35. I look for a probiotic with billions of active cultures, many different strains, shelf stability, and protection from stomach acids.

Thanks very much! Been researching this for a while but I need to just bite the bullet already.

Thanks very much! Been researching this for a while but I need to just bite the bullet already.

I would suggest not buying a huge quantity until you try it out. Seems some strains work for some people better than others.

I've started taking 300mg of gaba every night. I wanted to keep it until reaching the end of my taper.

I might even up the dosage to 600mg if needed.

Do you think I will have problems coming off gaba after a couple of weeks on 300/600 mg?

I have been on Gabapentin for aproximately 18 days and only taking 300mg. I took 600mg for 3 times in between but went right back to 300mg. I only have the capsules. Can I just open them up and remove some and then a little more over a week or so.

I have been on Gabapentin for aproximately 18 days and only taking 300mg. I took 600mg for 3 times in between but went right back to 300mg. I only have the capsules. Can I just open them up and remove some and then a little more over a week or so.

Yes, -its also water soluble..

• 3 weeks later...

Been a long time since I have been in here....

I am 5 years off klonipin but only 5 months off gabapentin.  Felt healed from klonipin late 2017.

Took 300 mg a day for the kloninpin withdrawal.  Started to taper 2 years ago.

Unlike the benzo that I basically cold turkey.

Can someone give me some hope that this won't be as bad as the benzo?

It sure seems very similar.

How long until you felt better after jumping the gaba?

Can you compare it to the benzo withdrawal?

Looking for hope cause I have the following symptoms still:  Nausea, fast weight loss, adrenaline, panic, restless, irritability and awful fatigue

I am 5 years off klonipin but only 5 months off gabapentin.  Felt healed from klonipin late 2017.

Looking for hope cause I have the following symptoms still:  Nausea, fast weight loss, adrenaline, panic, restless, irritability and awful fatigue

I'm still alternating between tapering my gabapentin and my Seroquel. The gabapentin did feel similar to the benzo, but not as harsh. I was able to go faster than I ever could with the benzo. I am back to the Q taper and not near jumping, so can't tell you about that, sorry.

I only took gabapentin for 23 days. I jumped from 300mg per my doctors instructions. It’s been 5 months and it’s intense and feels EXACTLY like benzo withdrawal! I don’t know how long it can last. I’ve read a year to 3 years.  With the intensity of mine I’m thinking I’ve got three years of this crud. People who have done a very slow taper seem to not get as many withdrawals and they don’t last as long.

• 3 weeks later...

I only took gabapentin for 23 days. I jumped from 300mg per my doctors instructions. It’s been 5 months and it’s intense and feels EXACTLY like benzo withdrawal! I don’t know how long it can last. I’ve read a year to 3 years.  With the intensity of mine I’m thinking I’ve got three years of this crud. People who have done a very slow taper seem to not get as many withdrawals and they don’t last as long.

Are you sure it's not in fact still withdrawal from the benzo?

Are you sure it's not in fact still withdrawal from the benzo?

I also thought this might be a possibility.

• 2 months later...

So Yikes.  I am at the bottom end of a 3 year taper.  Getting off 2 benzos that I was on for 20+ years.

I ended up in Emerg last night with a severe stress reaction to a betrayal in my relationship.  Plus I hadn't been sleeping for several nights.  I felt at the end of my rope and unable to calm down.  Nothing worked.... not breathing or meditation or hot baths.... just panic and adrenalin loops and exhaustion.  My blood pressure was super high.    The ER doc looked at my withdrawal history, prescribed 50-100 mg of Gabapentin and sent me home.  I slept 5 miraculous hours after my blood pressure returned to below normal. 

So it worked, and I am trying to assess whether or not it is going to be the best option.  I am 95% off of benzos.  It has been an excruciating 3 year journey.  At the rate I'm tapering - I should jump at September's end.  If I don't start copping some sleep I'm not going to make it.  Its that simple.

I am hearing here that Gabapentin is costly to take, and withdraw off of.  That tolerance develops quickly.  I am hearing that even 100mgs/night can cause a hard w/d.  My doc told me that it was a tiny amount.

My vision is blurry today and I am cog-fogged more than normal.

I will take it for a few more nights to get caught up on sleep, but I would really like to hear from others here -  My hope was to take it to bridge the end of the taper and then post jump for a few months as a sleep aid before I begin tapering it.

Any thoughts?

I think gabapentin is OK for very short term or occasional use, just like benzos. I'm tapering off it now and it's hard. Not as bad as benzos, but still hard. A few months would be longer than very short term use. I was thinking more like a few weeks.