Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group

[Is...]

Oh wait, you already said it causes the body to produce less GABA. Funny you mentioned word retrieval problems, I have that all the time. Can't find the word I'm looking for. I worry a lot that I'm having pre-dementia.

It could cause the body to produce less GABA. I think that's what happens when the med seems to no longer work. I see gabapentin as something that may work in the short term, but in the long term, you're likely to habituate to it.

I told my doctor I was worried about dementia. She said it was more likely the benzo and the gabapentin and to wait until I got off before we considered it could be a disease process. I am so much better off the benzo and lower on the gabapentin that I know it was the drugs. I think you will be amazed how much better your brain works once you're off these drugs.

I see you're very low on Valium. You might find this group helpful: 3, 2, 1 Valium Support Group

I've been on gabapentin for over 8 years so kinda worried about getting off. Sign, one step at a time. Thanks for recommending me to the support group

I've been on it for years, too, but really, it was much easier to reduce than the benzo. I was sure I was feeling good before I tried to reduce it. I think that's the key. You are right, one step at a time. :thumbsup:

I would very much like to hear how you tapered, after I'm done with diazepam of course

I have capsules. Gabapentin is water soluble, so I dumped capsules into water to made a liquid to taper. Then I did a daily micro taper. When you get there, a good person to ask about using a liquid is Bob7. I've seen him help people with the math of converting to liquid. He is often in the Daily Microtaper Support group. I'm not tapering gabapentin now. I'm pill splitting my Seroquel. My plan is to get rid of as much Seroquel as I can and then go back to the gabapentin taper.

Thank you so much for your replies. I think I will give myself more time and start tapering gabapentin once I have recovered.

Valiumnomore - my flumazenil detox was horrific. It threw me into acute withdrawal which was way worse than any previous attempts at tapering. It's not something I would recommend - I am happy though to be off benzos. I was in such a bad state after being all that time in tolerance withdrawal that I know I wouldn't have had the strength to put myself through a long taper.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, I'm sorry the flumazenil didn't cushion the acute phase like it's claimed to do. I guess it doesn't work. How long were you in that acute wd state if you don't mind me asking? Maybe the flumazenil made it last less? Yes, definitely wait till you feel normal before tapering another med. You'll do great when the time comes.

Thank you valiumnomore. I'm not exactly sure how long my acute withdrawal lasted. During the first four weeks I mostly had physical symptoms. Afterwards these got a little better but at the same time I started with insane anxiety and depression. Overall the first four months were horrific - it's only recently that I have been a little better

• 3 weeks later...

PHoenix, I'm glad you made it through and that you're free now. It must be great not to take that pill every day.

I'm reading you guys and now I'm worried about dementia. I've been on gabapentin for one year and my psyck dr doesn't want me off that until I'm done with the valium, and that's going to take years so I don't know...

PHoenix, I'm glad you made it through and that you're free now. It must be great not to take that pill every day.

I'm reading you guys and now I'm worried about dementia. I've been on gabapentin for one year and my psyck dr doesn't want me off that until I'm done with the valium, and that's going to take years so I don't know...

Hey V, I don't think Gardener was saying it leads to dementia but that it has some dementia-like symptoms. I read that one on the side effects is memory loss. I wouldn't worry about it if you've only been on it for a year. I hate my idiot doc who put me on such a high dose, along with hydocodone, valium, and SSRIs

Hey V, I don't think Gardener was saying it leads to dementia but that it has some dementia-like symptoms. I read that one on the side effects is memory loss. I wouldn't worry about it if you've only been on it for a year. I hate my idiot doc who put me on such a high dose, along with hydocodone, valium, and SSRIs

Correct.  :thumbsup: 

Benzos do the same. IMHO, the benzo is more dangerous than the gabapentin.

• 4 weeks later...

Help!

I just got of the phone with my psych. She doesnt know I'm tapering. I cant go the bathroom. I asked her if effexor or gabapentin could be the problem. I never went much anyway but this is ridiculous. She lowered my gabapentin by 300. I'm just starti g to stabilize. I didnt tell her because she doesnt believe me about benzos. She just scream at me. She always asks if someone else is prescribing me meds. It's weird. Anyway will I be ok. I'm scared. I really cant wait till I never have to go back there again. My therapist is useless as well. Sorry.

Help!

I just got of the phone with my psych. She doesnt know I'm tapering. I cant go the bathroom. I asked her if effexor or gabapentin could be the problem. I never went much anyway but this is ridiculous. She lowered my gabapentin by 300. I'm just starti g to stabilize. I didnt tell her because she doesnt believe me about benzos. She just scream at me. She always asks if someone else is prescribing me meds. It's weird. Anyway will I be ok. I'm scared. I really cant wait till I never have to go back there again. My therapist is useless as well. Sorry.

That's a big cut. But give it time. You will stabilize.

It sure will be great when we never have to go back to a bad doc again! Lucky for me, mine moved away and my new doc seems much more kind.

It helps to remember that sometimes a doctor is just ornery because of something else that has nothing to do with me. It's not an excuse, though. They should not yell at people ever.

Thank you gardener! This is truly a horrible way to live. I am so glad you have a nice dr.  Mine scares me. I just stay because she prescribes. Ugh. Thx i wont let her get to me

She has set me back many times. Hope you are feeling ok! Im doing pretty good today. The weekend i thought i was dying. This is crazy! 🤣😂

Hi Suzy! So she made you cut from 900 to 600?  I'm so sorry. I hope it turns out not to be too bad. Are you feeling sxs already? The doctor really sounds like a pain in the neck. I hate that you have to deal with her.

Hi v!

I know she is scary! I haven't felt anything yet! I was so nervous. Maybe it's too soon. I feel like all the meds are making me tired. But that could be the benzo. I hope your sx are letting up! Ugh

Hi v!

I know she is scary! I haven't felt anything yet! I was so nervous. Maybe it's too soon. I feel like all the meds are making me tired. But that could be the benzo. I hope your sx are letting up! Ugh

I found gabapentin to be easier to taper than a benzo. Maybe it won't hit you. But even if it does, you will still recover. :thumbsup:

Oh that is good news gardener! I'm glad you aren't having as hard of a time with the gabapentin.  Omg, I cant imagine it being like a benzo. 🤯 So far so good! Thank you! 👍🙂

I'm here rooting for you DD. Stay close to Gardener, she's the best guide. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for mild sxs 🙏🙏🤞🤞🤞🤞

DD, I think I know several people that came down off gabbby pretty quickly and did okay.  Not that I am recommending you go too fast .  ;).  LY. 🙋🏼🙋🏼😘😘😷😷🙏🙏

Thanks v and mm!

I feel the same so far. Hopefully, tomorrow will be ok. Keeping my fingers crossed too! I'll keep you posted. Ugh ly guys

Thanks v and mm!

I feel the same so far. Hopefully, tomorrow will be ok. Keeping my fingers crossed too! I'll keep you posted. Ugh ly guys

LY 2 girlfriend!!  🙋🏼🙋🏼🙋🏼

Hey Gardener, have you known anyone who's been on as high a dose as I am? I feel like it's making me stupid. I hate my effing doc who put me on such a dose. He was passing out meds like candy and lost his license. Cut me off of Vicodin and I had to CT. Anyway I"m kind of scared to start tapering until I'm done with my Valium

Hey Gardener, have you known anyone who's been on as high a dose as I am? I feel like it's making me stupid. I hate my effing doc who put me on such a dose. He was passing out meds like candy and lost his license. Cut me off of Vicodin and I had to CT. Anyway I"m kind of scared to start tapering until I'm done with my Valium

Im not Gardie.. But 2400mg for the first couple of years.. I never noticed a problem coming off (unlike lyrica), but then went to “as needed” for accident related nerve damage.. Its once or twice a year now but the doses for that day can range from 600mg to very high..

Once valium was in the mix I started to notice the scrambled brain and coordination effects...

It stops my guts working too, -relaxes it too much...

My understanding is that a dose has less effect in proportion the higher the dose, so in theory at least, the higher doses may be easier to taper if one is lucky..??

...if thats of any help..

:)

Hey everyone,

Hope you are all ok. Today is day 3 of the drop. I feel different. More relaxed and clear. It could be in my head. Maybe it's just a window. Still Tingling like crazy but not super revved up like I am 24r hrs a day.

Im not Gardie.. But 2400mg for the first couple of years.. I never noticed a problem coming off (unlike lyrica), but then went to “as needed” for accident related nerve damage.. Its once or twice a year now but the doses for that day can range from 600mg to very high..

Once valium was in the mix I started to notice the scrambled brain and coordination effects...

It stops my guts working too, -relaxes it too much...

My understanding is that a dose has less effect in proportion the higher the dose, so in theory at least, the higher doses may be easier to taper if one is lucky..??

...if thats of any help..

:)

Thanks. Yeah I'm kinda worried as I've been on it for 10 years

Cant are you saying you were on both gabapentin and lyrica?  And no prob dropping gabapentin but a prob with lyrica?

I think lyrica is newer and supposed to be more targeted.

Thx if you know...

Cant are you saying you were on both gabapentin and lyrica?  And no prob dropping gabapentin but a prob with lyrica?

I think lyrica is newer and supposed to be more targeted.

Thx if you know...

well the lyrica didnt work for the nerve pain so well in the early days, and a change in hospitals ended me back on gabapentin again anyway, but more the point, lyrica “helped” me better as a rescue type thing to get to Drs, etc.. I then later used it as a valium taper aid but the tolerance went up much faster than any V got reduced.. I also found it addictive and stimulating.. at that point I was hunting for energy any way I could get it..

Its all a bit messy with multiple meds and due