Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group

[Is...]

Hi everyone,

I have been off of benzos for 6 years and started experiencing waves that have bene really harsh lately. I have been taking gabapentin for 3 years now 300mg x 3 times a day and am wondering if it is possible that it could be the gaba? I know there is w/d if I reduce but I have not reduced. What advise if anything I can get would be deeply appreciated. I am thinking of going to 1200 a day. Any experience would be appreciated.

Henry

Hi Henry,

I believe that there is tolerance with gabapentin. It's only my own experience that I can say that. I was on gp for 4 years on a very high dose. Had no trouble coming off of it ---- the first time. The second time was very bad. I was only on 100mg 2xday for 10 days when I started to have tolerance withdrawals. Very bad. I couldn't continue and I couldn't stop taking it because I couldn't tolerate the withdrawals. I refused to go up on it. I had to go into the VA hospital to stop because I couldn't handle the withdrawals. They tapered me down a week using liquid gp then I jumped. The first three  weeks were the worst. I had so many sx just like people going ct from benzos. But in my case the time period was much shorter than ct from benzos. The anxiety did last for months but it did get better every week. The psychological effects took more time and they were rough.

It is possible to come off this terrible drug. I did it about a year ago this month. It is possible.  When I had to come off this drug my doctor asked me why did I want to come off of it if it was so bad coming off of. Dipsxxx. It was horrible being on.

I am currently tapering v. Although it's a really rough road. So far benzos have been easier to taper. I don't know why. On other groups I ask people which is the worst that they came off of.  about a third say that gp is worse. But it's not a scientific study or anything.

What I'm saying that it was very hard for me. But I think I was in the very very unlucky group that it was horrific for. I don't believe it will be as bad for most other people. You can do it. For me most of the worst sx coming of off were gone in about three weeks. And they were bad. Once I got through  the first three weeks it got a lot easier. Not easy but easier. It took about 6 months to recover fully. But bear in mind I was on a really low dose when I jumped. So personally I would never jump at a high dose, IMO. Also the first time I came off of i had no problem whatsoever.

No more GABA drugs for me, ever.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am wondering if gabapentin can cause severe dry mouth out of nowhere. Iv3 been on it for a year. Last couple of months my mouth started burning and now is so dry. Maybe it's the benzo idk. Never had before and know my thyroid went off. They want me to see an ent. This is getting ridiculous. Does anyone get this sx.?

Hi,

I am wondering if gabapentin can cause severe dry mouth out of nowhere. Iv3 been on it for a year. Last couple of months my mouth started burning and now is so dry. Maybe it's the benzo idk. Never had before and know my thyroid went off. They want me to see an ent. This is getting ridiculous. Does anyone get this sx.?

DD, I have been reading a benzo belly thread, and someone on there was taking a ppi for acid and stomach pain and they were having a burning mouth.  Do you take anything like that?

Hey mm! I started taking one about a week ago and stopped.  It started about 2 mos ago. Around the time of the covid lockdown. It's so strange. I cant figure it out. Maybe it is benzo belly. It hurts so bad.

Hey mm! I started taking one about a week ago and stopped.  It started about 2 mos ago. Around the time of the covid lockdown. It's so strange. I cant figure it out. Maybe it is benzo belly. It hurts so bad.

My tummy is all over the place, it's back to killing my sides.  But I have been reading all the benzo belly threads and I swear, others have had symptoms just like mine.  It just moves around and hurts.

:(. Hope yours eases off girlfriend.  LY, MM.  🌺💕🌷

Mine was hurting too. It ditends sometimes, it's so sensitive tive. Now,  mine is acidly again. I will read more about benzo belly. I know I've had it for a while. Ugh. Sorry you are feeling pain. ❤😥

• 1 month later...

I am nearly off Valium - down to .1 mg but going slow with a daily micro-taper.

As you can see from my signature I am also on Gabapentin.

Any idea how long after my last Valium I should wait  to start the Gabapentin taper?

Could the Gabapentin have made it harder to taper off the Valium?  This last bit has been extra painful physically.

I am nearly off Valium - down to .1 mg but going slow with a daily micro-taper.

As you can see from my signature I am also on Gabapentin.

Any idea how long after my last Valium I should wait  to start the Gabapentin taper?

Could the Gabapentin have made it harder to taper off the Valium?  This last bit has been extra painful physically.

I don't think the gabapentin made my taper harder except when I tried to dose it only 2x/day. My symptoms improved when I switched to dosing the gabapentin 3x/day. Then I was able to taper the Librium more easily.

You will know when you feel mostly healed and ready to go on to the next taper. Could be in a few months or it could be a year or more. My suggestion would be not to start it too soon unless you have some compelling reason to.

Hi all,

I would really appreciate your advice.

I c/t clonazepam almost 7 months ago with a flumazenil detox after several failed attempts at tapering. I believe I got kindled multiple times. I have had a really hard time with an endless list of withdrawal symptoms and I am now still dealing with severe DR, brain fog and almost constant dizziness. I was started on gabapentin to help my neuropathic pain a year ago (I suffer from small fibre neuropathy). It hasn't helped much and I believe it probably contributes to my brain fog and dizziness. My neurologist suggested I should start tapering the gabapentin reducing by 100mg every 3-4 weeks (I am on 300mg three times a day).

I really don't know what to do. I read that gabapentin withdrawal can be as bad as benzos and I am terrified by the possibility that tapering will make my symptoms worse. On the other hand I am taking a drug that doesn't help me and I think I want to be off it. I don't know if this is a good time to put myself through a taper or whether I should wait until I recover a bit more?

I know we are all different but did anyone taper gabapentin after being on benzos? How was your experience? Did it make your withdrawal worse? Do you think reducing by 100mg a month is a reasonable plan?

Thank you so much for your help.

Phoenix

Hi,

If it were me I would wait till you stabilize some more. It seems like you body needs a break. I tried to taper some of my gabape tin and I'm still in wd from k. It was not a good idea. That's just my opinion. If you dont feel ready as much as you want off I would wait. Believe me I understand.

I agree. I think if you wait until you feel better, the gabapentin taper won't be so bad. I tapered part of my gabapentin. It was like a mild form of benzo withdrawal. I think some people rush tapers and that's why they are so bad. If you are experiencing direct symptoms from the gabapentin that are bothersome, maybe you could just taper part of it now. You might feel better on a lower dose. Dropping 100mg at a time could be harsh, though. Gabapentin is water soluble so you could do a liquid taper with it pretty easily. That would enable you to make smaller cuts. I have capsules, so that's what I did.

Hi Phoenix, all the symptoms you have are classic benzo withdrawal symptoms. I would definitely not make your life worse by tapering the gabapentin now. I'd wait for as long as it takes until your benzo withdrawals have gone, and then consider tapering the gabapentin. FWIW as I'm still on benzos but I think it's no use to throw one's life out the window just so you can be off drugs. Did the flumazenil help? Did it make it easier than the other taper attempts?

It's been so long since I've been on BB I'm not sure how to make a general post on this thread. Since I'm down to 1 mg Valium, I'm looking to taper Gabapentin. Should I wait until I'm finished? I've been on 1200 mg Gaba for about 8 years and it scares the hell out of me when I think of tapering.What does Gaba do to your brain/body?

It's been so long since I've been on BB I'm not sure how to make a general post on this thread. Since I'm down to 1 mg Valium, I'm looking to taper Gabapentin. Should I wait until I'm finished? I've been on 1200 mg Gaba for about 8 years and it scares the hell out of me when I think of tapering.What does Gaba do to your brain/body?

I would suggest you taper one med at a time. Personally, I think the benzo is the most dangerous to take long term, so I would finish the benzo taper, wait until I felt healed, and then start the gabapentin. I think people who are well healed from their benzo taper find the gabapentin taper to be less harsh.

Wow, down to 1mg Valium. I would definitely not risk the final stretch of that Valium taper by starting a gabapentin taper.

Yes I'll probably wait till my Valium taper is done before I tackle the Gaba. Do you know how G works and what the long term effects are? Sorry I'm too brain dead to read this entire thread

Yes I'll probably wait till my Valium taper is done before I tackle the Gaba. Do you know how G works and what the long term effects are? Sorry I'm too brain dead to read this entire thread

Jwl I do not know, but I believe if some people on BBs have been able to come off benzos after thirty years of use, you'll be able to taper the Gabapentin when the time comes. I would try not to obsess about gabapentin now and just focus on being slow at the end of your Valium taper so you can succeed with that one which is a real beast. Then rest a few months and then start a slow gabapentin taper and you'll succeed like many in this group have. And, they'll help you with their experience.

Thank you so much for your replies. I think I will give myself more time and start tapering gabapentin once I have recovered.

Valiumnomore - my flumazenil detox was horrific. It threw me into acute withdrawal which was way worse than any previous attempts at tapering. It's not something I would recommend - I am happy though to be off benzos. I was in such a bad state after being all that time in tolerance withdrawal that I know I wouldn't have had the strength to put myself through a long taper.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for your replies. I think I will give myself more time and start tapering gabapentin once I have recovered.

Valiumnomore - my flumazenil detox was horrific. It threw me into acute withdrawal which was way worse than any previous attempts at tapering. It's not something I would recommend - I am happy though to be off benzos. I was in such a bad state after being all that time in tolerance withdrawal that I know I wouldn't have had the strength to put myself through a long taper.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, I'm sorry the flumazenil didn't cushion the acute phase like it's claimed to do. I guess it doesn't work. How long were you in that acute wd state if you don't mind me asking? Maybe the flumazenil made it last less? Yes, definitely wait till you feel normal before tapering another med. You'll do great when the time comes.

Gabapentin acts like GABA but directly on the nervous system without needing to bind to the GABA receptors. Your body may think it has plenty of GABA and produce less of because of that. The main thing I experienced with a high dose of gabapentin was word retrieval problems. I don't seem to have that on my lower dose, so I think it is reversible.

Thanks for that Gardner. So if it doesn't work on the receptors, does it mean they won't down-regulate like they do on benzos? Will they cause your body to produce less gaba?

Oh wait, you already said it causes the body to produce less GABA. Funny you mentioned word retrieval problems, I have that all the time. Can't find the word I'm looking for. I worry a lot that I'm having pre-dementia.

Oh wait, you already said it causes the body to produce less GABA. Funny you mentioned word retrieval problems, I have that all the time. Can't find the word I'm looking for. I worry a lot that I'm having pre-dementia.

It could cause the body to produce less GABA. I think that's what happens when the med seems to no longer work. I see gabapentin as something that may work in the short term, but in the long term, you're likely to habituate to it.

I told my doctor I was worried about dementia. She said it was more likely the benzo and the gabapentin and to wait until I got off before we considered it could be a disease process. I am so much better off the benzo and lower on the gabapentin that I know it was the drugs. I think you will be amazed how much better your brain works once you're off these drugs.

I see you're very low on Valium. You might find this group helpful: 3, 2, 1 Valium Support Group

Thanks for that Gardner. So if it doesn't work on the receptors, does it mean they won't down-regulate like they do on benzos?

I believe that is correct.

It could cause the body to produce less GABA. I think that's what happens when the med seems to no longer work. I see gabapentin as something that may work in the short term, but in the long term, you're likely to habituate to it.

I told my doctor I was worried about dementia. She said it was more likely the benzo and the gabapentin and to wait until I got off before we considered it could be a disease process. I am so much better off the benzo and lower on the gabapentin that I know it was the drugs. I think you will be amazed how much better your brain works once you're off these drugs.

I see you're very low on Valium. You might find this group helpful: 3, 2, 1 Valium Support Group

I've been on gabapentin for over 8 years so kinda worried about getting off. Sign, one step at a time. Thanks for recommending me to the support group