Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group

[Is...]

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone give me advice. I am on 3600 gabapentin. (900 x 4 a day) I feel like crap, I feel stoned. One day I skipped a 900 mg dose and it bit me in the butt. How do I taper?

Thanks

During my initial withdrawal from benzo, lithium, lamotrigine, and everything else, I took some separate time to lower my 1200 mg gabapentin to 800 mg. There's 3 separate recommendations I came across.

1. lower by 300 mgs every 3 days to 1 week

2. lower by 100 mgs every week

3. reduce by 300 every 3 days, to a minimum of 300 mg, then return to max dose and decrease from there.

Option 3 had the most sound argument from a professional, so I chose option 3 back in January.

This is what it looked like:

Week 1: 1200 mg--> 900 mg (3 days) 600 mg (3 days) 300 mg (3 days) = 9 days

Week 2.5: 1200 mg (3 days) 900 mg (2 days), then I stayed at 800 mg

I stopped at 800 mg because I was withdrawing from too much and struggling.

Here in April, I am finally continuing with the process.

I jumped from 800 to 400. The recommended is by 300mgs or for sensitive people, 100 mgs a week. I was surprised that my doctor was willing to be on board. She prescribed my the 100mgs without even a doctor's visit. Another post I read for the extremely sensitive is a reduction by 50 mg a week.

I will stay on the 400mg for a couple weeks. Immediately, I began dealing with insomnia (6.5 hours of sleep). I did not experience that from the Ativan. I also had a return of the tingling sensations all over my body and cog fog. I think the drop either brought on a benzo wave or is withdrawal of it's own. Next, I will drop 100 mgs every other week or so depending on my symptoms. I hope to be off it completely in 4 months time.

I read of some concern about the gabapentin binding to the gaba receptors and delaying recovery because the body needs to make it's own gaba. the gabapentin prevents our bodies from doing that. My therapist recommended looking into alternatives, like vitamins, to ease the process. I am taking a half multivitamin and 5 htp. 5 htp helped a lot during the taper process. It's boosts serotonin so it can't really be taken more than 2 weeks or else people experience serotonin fatigue. Now I take it as needed, if I'm having a stressful day. I know there's mixed feelings about a multivitamin because certain vitamins may hinder the process. But I listen to my body, and for me, a half a vitamin has helped more than it's hurt.

I recommend tapering with caution. Good luck!

Lotus,

I don't know if you will see this but I really don't understand option 3 and what sound advice you got from a professional.

Can you explain?

Has anyone here found gabapentin useful for benzo wd?  I was on it for a few months after quitting clonazepam 10 months ago.  Didn't find it very helpful at that time and I also didn't find it difficult to get off of.  I'm experience some severe symptoms and I'm hoping it will at least help my mental anxiety but I'm very scared to try it again as I don't want it to backfire. 

My psychiatrist And I just spoke today and he said there is a lot of new studies going on about gabapentin to help with benzo withdrawals. He uses it with his patients and has had good success.

I'm trying to find data on it. Will ask him for it too. I just started my taper from .5 Klonopin and I'm having a very hard time. With just a 5% cut.

Has anyone here found gabapentin useful for benzo wd?  I was on it for a few months after quitting clonazepam 10 months ago.  Didn't find it very helpful at that time and I also didn't find it difficult to get off of.  I'm experience some severe symptoms and I'm hoping it will at least help my mental anxiety but I'm very scared to try it again as I don't want it to backfire.

I'm still on it, only 600 mg/day. I guess the go to drugs for benzo withdrawal are gabapentin and remeron. I have no clue whether it helps or not as I have nothing to compare it to. I refused the remeron when it was offered and I also haven't upped my dosage of gabapentin when suggested. Maybe it helps, maybe without it the withdrawal would be worse? Noway of knowing. I have a psych appt.today and I want to taper the gabapentin.

It would just be nice to know if this drug is known to prolong existing issues.  That's the scary part.  I have Hypnic jerks from hell and I need them to tone down a notch so I can sleep; however, I don't want to add more months of agony.  Basically, I'm down to deciding between 0-2 hours of sleep or take a chance on a pill and maybe get more sleep.  I hate this!!!!

I too have been on a long taper journey with gabapentin. I held in April after doing a two month taper of 25mg a week for eight weeks. Got down to 1100mg!  I wanted to hold so thaT I could enjoy my sons college graduation in May.  Just when I was ready to begin again, I went on a long trip to California helping my brother get through a difficult divorce. I had to hold my taper during that time. My doctor advised it. Now I have just recently started my taper again. I have discussed it with my doctor and I began a 5 mg per day reduction plan. I feel every cut! It's horrible. The worst symptoms for me are the muscle pains, really bad, feels like the fascia tissues are being stretched :'( followed by joint and bone aches. Insomnia, bubble guts, nausea and some headaches. Anxiety and depression are there too but not as bad, I have noticed, with these smaller cuts. My doctor gave me inositol. It was amazing for a few days, then the symptoms came back. she had me double the dose.  Again I felt great for about 4 days, good sleep,  no joint pain, no bubble guts, was amazing!! Then wham, again symptoms return, mostly the muscle fascia pain, other symptoms are minimal. All the while I have been tapering 5mg per day.  Is the taper leaping ahead of the supplement now? Do I keep going up on the inositol? Does anyone have any info they can share on it? I read online that larger doses help with anxiety, but these people are not withdrawing. :-\

Honestly, if I had it to do over again, I would say NO WAY NO HOW to gabapentin. 

Withdrawing from a drug is going to be hard.  It is withdrawal.  But if you go very slow, don't hurry and just take it easy, you won't need another drug that is just as bad to help you.  Work on the fear before you start and the rest will go much easier.  Mindfulness meditation, walks, rest and counseling are all things that can really help in a very beneficial way.  I'd think twice about it.  Others may have had a better time than I did. I was NOT a drug sensitive at all before taking benzos and gab.  After both, I'm so sensitive to meds I refuse to take anything except tums.  LOL

Best wishes to all.

Ever...

Everhopeful,

Great advice. I was prescribed gabapentin while I was in the grip of a Ativan and I was desperate for help not realizing that gabapentin is every bit as evil of a drug.

Butterfly,

I have been tapering gabapentin for a couple of years now. I think you are tapering way too much and too fast. I tried cutting 1 mg a day and realized if I didn't slow down I would end up in the ER. I found some great advice on the surviving antidepressants.org forum that has helped me tremendously.  Here is a link to one of their pages that includes all the information you need to know on tapering.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/300-important-topics-in-the-tapering-forum-and-faq/

I've learned that listening to my body and not making any cuts until the symptoms have settled down is the only way I'm going to get off this drug in one piece.This method worked for me while tapering benzos and it is helping me find my way off gabapentin.

[f5...]

Everhopeful,

Great advice. I was prescribed gabapentin while I was in the grip of a Ativan and I was desperate for help not realizing that gabapentin is every bit as evil of a drug.

Butterfly,

I have been tapering gabapentin for a couple of years now. I think you are tapering way too much and too fast. I tried cutting 1 mg a day and realized if I didn't slow down I would end up in the ER. I found some great advice on the surviving antidepressants.org forum that has helped me tremendously.  Here is a link to one of their pages that includes all the information you need to know on tapering.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/300-important-topics-in-the-tapering-forum-and-faq/

I've learned that listening to my body and not making any cuts until the symptoms have settled down is the only way I'm going to get off this drug in one piece.This method worked for me while tapering benzos and it is helping me find my way off gabapentin.

how did you manage to cut gabapentin by 1mg a day?

What are you using to liquify it?

thanks

EverHopeful and Legos,

Thank you both for your wonderful advice. Congratulations everhopeful on your successful taper!! :thumbsup:I hope things are still going well for weeks out from your last gabapentin dose!

If I had to do it over again, I too would say no way to gabapentin and Klonopin!! I would've never imagined that I would have had such a hard time coming off of .25 mg of Klonopin! I too was desperate for help like you Legos. Then to have doctors put me on such high doses of gabapentin. It is just as evil a drug as benzodiazepines if not worse!  I feel victimized by the insurance and Dr. situation. Only now do I have an advocate! My current psych doctor recognizes the mistakes made. Now she is trying to undo what has happened.

My first experience with my first taper (400 mg by a nut Doctor) was horrible and nearly devastating. I did not know that what I was experiencing physically and mentally was from gabapentin withdrawal. It took a lot of research on sites like this one to realize what these symptoms really were. I now have a great Doctor Who understands and encourages a slow taper. It has just been a process trying to figure out how best and how fast to come down. I learned on survivingantidepressants.org that no more than 10% per month is best. So my first experience was cutting out a 100 milligram pill all at once then holding for the rest of the month. It took about six weeks to settle down after that instead of one month. I did this again with the same results. We then thought maybe 25 mg a week (using liquid gabapentin) instead of one whole pill at once might be better. I was more functional and not bed ridden. This allowed me to do two months straight in a row. But then I had to stop as the symptoms got too difficult. Also life got in the way. With each hold comes four weeks of recovery so to speak.  I discovered very soon that I no longer needed to be afraid of the withdrawals. They come, (and they are bad) and then they settle down as the body adjusts to the new level. So Long as I don't taper too fast I do not fear it.

I am now in a place where I am trying to find The right TOLERABLE taper plan where I could perhaps continue without having to stop in between. So we are trying 5mg a day altered of each dose. The need for continuing the taper and not stopping for 4-6 weeks is important as gabapentin is causing some serious weight gain, despite help with a dietitian. My cholesterol has gone up quite a bit too. I walk every day with a walking partner as well. Some days are very difficult and I cannot go as far or as fast as I would like, as the withdrawal symptoms slow me down. I am working in tandem with a functional medicine doctor as well as my psych doctor. I am pretty much against using any other drugs at this time through this process. However,  I have been open to some supplements. As I've been tested and many of my levels, such as B and vitamin D are pretty low. We have started with the inositol as I mentioned above. It has helped some with a few of the withdrawal symptoms, my sleeping is a little bit better, my mood is a little bit better and the bubble guts is almost nonexistent. Maybe some of the muscle pains I was experiencing were an adjustment to the inositol?  The last few days have been a bit better...will keep you posted. Trying to establish a baseline after the introduction of this supplement...

With the use of this supplement it's not perfect, but I'm just trying to find that steady tolerable pace of moving forward with tapering. I know tapering is different for everyone. We have to experiment with how much and how fast so that we are still functional. I am so grateful for this forum and open to ideas that I can discuss with my doctors. For those of you struggling..keep reading this forum!! There is alot of helpful information here and inspiring outcomes!! :smitten:

Butterfly

[f5...]

I am titrating gabapentin using water, the same method that I used while tapering valium.

Gabapentin is lipid soluble you dissolve it in milk and get much more accurate dosing.

Hi Butterfly,

Looks like you & I are right about at the same place with our tapering. I too am micro tapering liquid at 5 mgs a day. As of today I'm down to 930 mgs, from 1200. The only symptom I really have thus far is this strange boaty/vertigo feeling when I'm sitting or standing still. I hate it but it could be worse.

I'm trying to workout & get a lot of exercise in the hope that it will help with any other symptoms that may arise. I cut everyday, but I did hold for a couple of weeks because I tapered down on remeron at the same time. Hoping this goes wel for both of us. I'll keep checking in to see how you're doing.

I wish you well!

Hugs,

Laelani

Suta,

Based on a 1200mg taper, it looks something like this:

Monday to Wednesday 900 mg

Thursday to Saturday 600mg

Sunday to Tuesday 300mg

Wednesday to Friday 1200mg

Saturday to Monday 900mg

Tuesday to Thursday 600mg

Friday to Sunday 300mg

Monday to Wednesday 900MG

This helped my body get used to the idea of it not being there. But the later increase would replenish and ease withdrawal sx. I did it for  little while. At 900mg though I got my doc to give me some 100mgs to taper by 100mg bi or tri weekly depending on my body. When I got to 100MG I bought a $15 milligram scale to taper by 10s. My best advice is to pay attention to your body with any taper you decide. At different points it may need different tweaks.

Started taper from 300mg Gabapentin.  Dropped 100mg about 7 days ago.  Suffering from dizziness, insomnia, muscle aches and bone pain.  Hope it ends before I want to start tapering again.

This is really a long road!

Popcornlady11, if you are feeling too sensitive to withdrawal at that pace, you can move slower and reduce smaller.  Instead of 100 mgs all at once, you can reduce smaller amounts, hold a day or two or tree, reduce a little more and then a little more until a week or more has gone by.  I reduced 33 mgs approximately each week and that pace was fairly tolerable.  I still had muscle and bone pain and it was a little tough to sleep but I would meditate all night long if I was awake.  That way my body was rested at least.

Hang in there.  :)

Ever...

Popcornlady11, if you are feeling too sensitive to withdrawal at that pace, you can move slower and reduce smaller.  Instead of 100 mgs all at once, you can reduce smaller amounts, hold a day or two or tree, reduce a little more and then a little more until a week or more has gone by.  I reduced 33 mgs approximately each week and that pace was fairly tolerable.  I still had muscle and bone pain and it was a little tough to sleep but I would meditate all night long if I was awake.  That way my body was rested at least.

Ever...

Thanks for the info.  Right now I am continuing to hold at 200mg for awhile.  Husband has to have cataract surgery in both eyes.  Don't want any more anxiety than I already have.  Because I have been off for a number of days I will try to hold here.

I take capsule form so would have to taper with water.  I have all the equipment because I had started Lorazepam taper and quit.

Ever...

Thanks for the info.  Right now I am continuing to hold at 200mg for awhile.  Husband has to have cataract surgery in both eyes.  Don't want any more anxiety than I already have.  Because I have been off for a number of days I will try to hold here.

I take capsule form so would have to taper with water.  I have all the equipment because I had started Lorazepam taper and quit.

I understand.  I tappered with 100 mg capsules.  I opened up each capsule, eyeballed the amount of 1/3 reduction and dumped what I didn't need out in my hand.  Once I was sure that looked right, I put the top back on and consumed the capsule and tossed the rest that I did not need.  I never had a problem and did not need to do a water titration.  Everyone should do what works best, I just meant to point out there are other ways. :)  Even moving slowly, you could open the capsule, dump out a little and then a little more than that each day until there was nothing left in the capsule.  If you're concerned about waste, then water titration might be better. 

I didn't find my anxiety growing as I reduced gabapentin but I did notice a few times within then first 3 weeks off the medication that a very deep and dark depression would hit.  I knew exactly what it was so didn't get excited.  Two times this occurred and neither time lasted more than 20 minutes.  I'd have to say that was the absolute worst withdrawal symptom.  So, going slow is a very beautiful thing. :)

Hang in there. :)

Ever...

Laelani,

Hi yes it does look like we are close to our close to the same levels on tapering ! Looking forward to  check-in's from you. I appreciate the support. This forum is awesome for that !! Vertigo is something that I have not had as one of my withdrawal symptoms yet. So sorry you have to go through that. I have tried working out in the gym only to have a rebound effect during my taper. The only exercise I can do is walking. I did try seeing a chiropractor for a while for my muscles. But each week I would do well for a few days and then have a rebound effect. It would take me a week to kind of recover and then back to the chiropractor. It was like a weird cycle. I very much would like to do more specially for my muscles. I found when I stopped going that I recovered faster during my holds. I read were a lot other people had trouble exercising while they were in the middle of their tapers. I will check to see how that's working for you. I am down to 950 mg as of today!!

Butterfly

I so messed up frome disease i cant taper anything i was trying  to taper off the gaba i made one cut .030 from weight and held two weeks and list my mind in akathisia psychosis im trapped i dont know whats from lyme or meds but the lyme is late stage its not like they say docs say take antibiotics for 3 weeks and its gone.......i cant handle the treatment i dont understand how sometimes  if i raise methadone  it makes everything  seem completely different and bearable for a few days then the worldturns on me i am in so much pain i just scream cry in agony and theres something  on my chest cant breathe worst ocd man has ever known  i spend all night tearing bed apart and remaking it so hot all i can do is gtunt and pray i cant breathe dementia psychotic  terror lymphnodes so swollen

I'm so sorry.  This is just a terrible state.  I wish I knew what to tell you. :(  I just hope and pray that you get some relief soon.  Please try to hang in there.

Ever...

Hi Butterfly,

Looks like you & I are right about at the same place with our tapering. I too am micro tapering liquid at 5 mgs a day. As of today I'm down to 930 mgs, from 1200. The only symptom I really have thus far is this strange boaty/vertigo feeling when I'm sitting or standing still. I hate it but it could be worse.

I'm trying to workout & get a lot of exercise in the hope that it will help with any other symptoms that may arise. I cut everyday, but I did hold for a couple of weeks because I tapered down on remeron at the same time. Hoping this goes wel for both of us. I'll keep checking in to see how you're doing.

I wish you well!

Hugs,

Laelani

I am so happy to read that your tapering is going pretty well. :smitten: You are doing amazing!  :smitten:

Ever...

I understand.  I tappered with 100 mg capsules.  I opened up each capsule, eyeballed the amount of 1/3 reduction and dumped what I didn't need out in my hand.  Once I was sure that looked right, I put the top back on and consumed the capsule and tossed the rest that I did not need.  I never had a problem and did not need to do a water titration.  Everyone should do what works best, I just meant to point out there are other ways. :)  Even moving slowly, you could open the capsule, dump out a little and then a little more than that each day until there was nothing left in the capsule.  If you're concerned about waste, then water titration might be better. 

I didn't find my anxiety growing as I reduced gabapentin but I did notice a few times within then first 3 weeks off the medication that a very deep and dark depression would hit.  I knew exactly what it was so didn't get excited.  Two times this occurred and neither time lasted more than 20 minutes.  I'd have to say that was the absolute worst withdrawal symptom.  So, going slow is a very beautiful thing. :)

Hang in there. :)

Ever...

Thank you for the tapering information.  I think I will try your "dump" method.  I have a 3 months prescription, and doctor will extend if necessary.  After everything with the c/t from Lorazepam, and tapering Phenobarbital (rough) I would appreciate a slow taper.  I like your "a beautiful thing"

Patti