Author Topic: Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group  (Read 189736 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group
« Reply #3020 on: July 06, 2022, 11:49:59 pm »
The term tolerance withdrawal means you have been staying at the same dose for an extended period, such that the body becomes tolerant to that dose, so you begin to experience withdrawals because the same dose doesnít do what it used to. Youíre right in that once you reach tolerance you either have to increase your dose (arguably a bad idea) or you have to start tapering until you finish.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #3021 on: July 07, 2022, 02:06:39 am »
I actually do get that. What I don't get is the seemingly endless perseverating about it . . . like the discussions of how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. What the heck difference does it make how you define/think of your tolerance . . . what name you give it? For heavens sake, just get on with things. If zero is your goal, work towards that.  :tickedoff:

[...]
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #3022 on: July 07, 2022, 09:03:23 am »
I actually do get that. What I don't get is the seemingly endless perseverating about it . . . like the discussions of how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. What the heck difference does it make how you define/think of your tolerance . . . what name you give it? For heavens sake, just get on with things. If zero is your goal, work towards that.  :tickedoff:

[...]

I was simply asking a question in hopes of hearing others who have felt better as they tapered down once reaching tolerance. I am currently tapering down and moving towards my goal of being off all meds, otherwise I wouldnít have found this site I am very grateful for. Iím struggling enough as it is, unsure as to how Iím going to be successful most days and to come to a site where others in similar situations should be more understanding than anyone, only to be attacked by another member is a bit upsetting. I come on here not only to hear others experiences, but to find [...] when Iím feeling pretty utterly hopeless.

[Buddie]

« Reply #3023 on: July 07, 2022, 09:32:17 am »
[...], I donít know whatís going on with [...] aggressive response but they clearly sound like an angry person with an ax to grind.  I [...] you get some advice that helps, and I as someone who is also having a horrible time in tolerance with both Diazepam and Gabapentin I can relate. So hereís some [...] toward your way.  :smitten: 

[Buddie]

« Reply #3024 on: July 07, 2022, 09:50:50 am »
[...], I donít know whatís going on with [...] aggressive response but they clearly sound like an angry person with an ax to grind.  I [...] you get some advice that helps, and I as someone who is also having a horrible time in tolerance with both Diazepam and Gabapentin I can relate. So hereís some [...] toward your way.  :smitten:

I am so sorry to hear that you suffering and are in tolerance to both Gabapentin and Diazepam. One way or another, we will be off of this poison and heal from this madness. Maybe due to a lack of sleep and yet another sleepless night, I take things a little more to heart. Thank you for your kind response.  :smitten:

[Buddie]

« Reply #3025 on: July 07, 2022, 03:09:36 pm »

[...]

I was simply asking a question in hopes of hearing others who have felt better as they tapered down once reaching tolerance. I am currently tapering down and moving towards my goal of being off all meds, otherwise I wouldnít have found this site I am very grateful for. Iím struggling enough as it is, unsure as to how Iím going to be successful most days and to come to a site where others in similar situations should be more understanding than anyone, only to be attacked by another member is a bit upsetting. I come on here not only to hear others experiences, but to find [...] when Iím feeling pretty utterly hopeless.

FWIW, I don't think [...] was addressing you with her post. "You" can mean you or it can mean "people/person." I really think she meant people/person.

Those of us who have been here a long time (look at the number of posts a person has made to give you an idea of how long they have been here on [...]) have read endless arguments about what tolerance is or isn't and if it even exists. I'd be willing to bet her angry emoji was about that.

I would like to add that this is not a very active thread, so, sadly, you may not find someone here who can answer your question.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 10:08:09 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #3026 on: July 13, 2022, 07:52:58 pm »
So....does gabapentin help or hinder with tapering? I'm already on it for fibro. I'm supposed to take 900mg, but I'm only taking 600mg at night.  I've heard good/bad things about this med. It does help with my fibro though. I don't know if I should stay on it or ditch it. I didn't know there is withdrawal effects from it.

[Buddie]

« Reply #3027 on: July 13, 2022, 08:05:54 pm »
It absolutely can cause dependency and withdrawal symptoms. I was on 1500 for 2 yearsÖ over the past 6 months iíve tapered down to below 500mg.  The withdrawals (burning nerves) from tapering down even 10mg at a time are so bad I donít know what iím gonna do. Worse than any benzo withdrawals iíve had. Iím switching between tapering [...] too. Im a really bad case though, I donít think iím typical.

[Buddie]

« Reply #3028 on: July 14, 2022, 12:54:41 am »
So....does gabapentin help or hinder with tapering? I'm already on it for fibro. I'm supposed to take 900mg, but I'm only taking 600mg at night.  I've heard good/bad things about this med. It does help with my fibro though. I don't know if I should stay on it or ditch it. I didn't know there is withdrawal effects from it.

I think typically gabapentin withdrawal is similar to benzo withdrawal but not as difficult.

Gabapentin may help with benzo withdrawal very temporarily, but you will almost certainly habituate to it, and it will not work any more (per my neurologist).

I have not seen evidence that it hinders benzo withdrawal.

I was taking G for neuropathy during my benzo withdrawal. I just stayed on it until I was finished with my benzo. Then I tapered it to a lower dose. Then I decided to stop that and taper my Q instead. That's what I'm doing now.

[Buddie]

« Reply #3029 on: July 14, 2022, 02:02:05 am »
I was on it for neuropathy at a pretty high dose, corgi (2300 mgs). My condition improved and I tapered off it. Yeah, I had some w/ds but they were not as bad as benzos.

If it helps your fibro, if it were me, I'd stay on it. If/when you do want to taper it off, just be aware that it is likely to produce w/ds.

Best,

[...]