Author Topic: Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group  (Read 185955 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group
« Reply #2940 on: March 31, 2022, 01:26:05 pm »
[...]:  when you were on gabapentine did it help with your benzo withdrawals?  Iím still on it 500mg and afraid to come off Iím still experiencing a lot of benzo withdrawals so I want to wait to taper it off
Happy that you are coming off
Tulip
Hi Tulip,
I withdrew from benzos six years ago and did not use gabapentin for the WD.
I was put on gabapentin last October for something else. And it was the same story of me not asking the doctor  if it causes dependence.
Anyway the benzo withdrawal took 19 months and it was a pretty horrific 19 months. When it was over I had another year of recovery Ė Ė I just could not see going through all that for being on gabapentin for four months. Some people withdrawal longer than the time they were on the drug and I just could not see that. So I took a chance and tapered quickly.
The bioavailability of gabapentin is not consistent so I could not understand how a slow taper would work like it did with the Klonopin. I crossed over to [...] when I tapered off the Klonopin. It  was an even step down and gabapentin is not because as you go down the Bio availability becomes greater. Anyway Iím done! Now itís just dealing with the post withdrawal symptoms and so far they are tolerable. The first night I only slept three hours and last night Ė day 6-  I slept seven hours. Insomnia was one of the worst symptoms so as long as I can sleep I can manage the daytime crap
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2941 on: March 31, 2022, 01:40:36 pm »
Iím happy that you came off the gabapentine and doing well with your sleep.
Iím on gabapentine to help with my WD. Iím just afraid it will delay my [...]. But Iíve spoke. To others that said they were ok and were [...] even being on the gabapentine.
Iím suffering every second day with severe inner restlessness torture. It a very painful feeling. My body cannot rest and I feel like Iím going[...].
Iím 5 months off. [...] I see more improvements.
Tulip
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2942 on: April 19, 2022, 01:54:30 pm »
It has been 26 days since I took the last dose of gp. I rapid tapered off in 11 days.
It has been wave after wave after wave, insomnia, anxiety, muscle pain. My usually low cholesterol was up over 200. My blood pressure was high enough to require medication. My heart rate was irregular and would shoot up.
Then yesterday, like magic, I felt like my old self. Not one symptom all day. Last night I slept eight hours. I woke up this morning still feeling fine. Is it over? Do I have more waves to go through?
Well, if the waves come back then I have [...] there will be breaks like I got yesterday.
On a side note last Wed I tried to drink some beer in hopes the alcohol would damp down the anxiety. What happened was that I could not stand the taste ( I have always loved the taste of beer). Something has happened to my ability to taste and drink alcohol. This is not a bad thing itís just interesting.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 03:12:48 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #2943 on: April 19, 2022, 05:49:15 pm »
Hey, ego, I'm glad to hear you are feeling better! I [...] it is a sign of more good things to come!

[Buddie]

« Reply #2944 on: April 19, 2022, 11:07:50 pm »
Is it over? Do I have more waves to go through?

It might be over, ego. I tapered gradually to zero over 6 months and just felt medium cruddy afterwards -- headaches, dizziness. You were certainly braver than I was.

If you remain s/x -- free that will be interesting. Maybe others can follow where you led! Maybe ppl don't necessarily [...] a long taper! Ego, how long were you on gaba?

Best to you.

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #2945 on: May 27, 2022, 07:22:51 am »
I have been in a horrendous wave for over seven months now and have landed myself back in hospital and extremely misunderstood. I donít know if Iím experiencing inter-dose withdrawal or am in tolerance on Gabapentin now or what, but am beyond sick. I havenít been able to eat anything without reacting to it and am too sick to budge on tapering Gabapentin, but there are times where I donít react well to it, yet my body calls for it. Itís really messed up. I am curious to know  if anyone has had ECT being in a similar situation? I donít suffer from depression; just depression due to withdrawal. I donít tolerate other medications well at all due to extreme sensitivities, so am at a loss as to what to do and am grasping at straws here. I am not sure what to do about Gabapentin as it seems to be a nightmare for me as I donít get any relief and have the feeling of electricity running through my body.  I am wondering if having ECT would maybe reset things for me? I know they have to give meds to put me under, and that will set me off Iím sure. I just donít know what else to do and not sure if Iím posting this in the right place, so I apologize to have cross posted. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2946 on: May 27, 2022, 01:31:39 pm »
I have been in a horrendous wave for over seven months now and have landed myself back in hospital and extremely misunderstood. I donít know if Iím experiencing inter-dose withdrawal or am in tolerance on Gabapentin now or what, but am beyond sick. I havenít been able to eat anything without reacting to it and am too sick to budge on tapering Gabapentin, but there are times where I donít react well to it, yet my body calls for it. Itís really messed up. I am curious to know  if anyone has had ECT being in a similar situation? I donít suffer from depression; just depression due to withdrawal. I donít tolerate other medications well at all due to extreme sensitivities, so am at a loss as to what to do and am grasping at straws here. I am not sure what to do about Gabapentin as it seems to be a nightmare for me as I donít get any relief and have the feeling of electricity running through my body.  I am wondering if having ECT would maybe reset things for me? I know they have to give meds to put me under, and that will set me off Iím sure. I just donít know what else to do and not sure if Iím posting this in the right place, so I apologize to have cross posted. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I suggest you try the site Surviving Antidepressants. They deal with polydrugging. They might have insights into this.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2947 on: May 28, 2022, 03:19:05 am »
I personally would never get ECT.  I think it's barbaric and harmful.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2948 on: May 30, 2022, 10:54:48 pm »
Iím at a total loss as to what to do. Iím in the worst wave of my [...] which was worse than acute for me after tapering from a benzo. I feel as though I am in severe withdrawal. I am kindled and itís to the point I canít eat anything without having a reaction and have been unable to shower. I was in the hospital back in December and am back here again and am only worse. In some ways when I take my Gabapentin dose, it helps some symptoms and in other ways, it makes me feel horrible. I cannot get stable to taper Gabapentin. I really am at a loss as to what to do. They donít understand here and recommended a few options for me with them being ECT, TMS, IV Ketamine and the medication that was recommended was Ritalin and Vyvanse as my levels of dopamine are low along with serotonin and norepinephrine. I had gene testing done and that was determined along with the MTHFR gene mutation, so l-methylfolate was recommended. I canít take anything without my system overreacting. I am kindled a few times now and my dosing schedule for Gabapentin has been all over the place because I feel I reached tolerance and some days I end up taking more than I normally do. I wish I could just be placed into a medically induced coma and taken off my meds because I donít know how Iím going to get through this being in this condition. I want to get off of this med, but have no idea how to do so at this point anymore. I was titrating in water and reducing that way, but I am totally stalled out as Iím not functioning. Things are totally unbearable and beyond uncomfortable. Iím losing [...] every passing day. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

[Buddie]

« Reply #2949 on: May 31, 2022, 12:48:52 am »
Iím at a total loss as to what to do. Iím in the worst wave of my [...] which was worse than acute for me after tapering from a benzo. I feel as though I am in severe withdrawal. I am kindled and itís to the point I canít eat anything without having a reaction and have been unable to shower. I was in the hospital back in December and am back here again and am only worse. In some ways when I take my Gabapentin dose, it helps some symptoms and in other ways, it makes me feel horrible. I cannot get stable to taper Gabapentin. I really am at a loss as to what to do. They donít understand here and recommended a few options for me with them being ECT, TMS, IV Ketamine and the medication that was recommended was Ritalin and Vyvanse as my levels of dopamine are low along with serotonin and norepinephrine. I had gene testing done and that was determined along with the MTHFR gene mutation, so l-methylfolate was recommended. I canít take anything without my system overreacting. I am kindled a few times now and my dosing schedule for Gabapentin has been all over the place because I feel I reached tolerance and some days I end up taking more than I normally do. I wish I could just be placed into a medically induced coma and taken off my meds because I donít know how Iím going to get through this being in this condition. I want to get off of this med, but have no idea how to do so at this point anymore. I was titrating in water and reducing that way, but I am totally stalled out as Iím not functioning. Things are totally unbearable and beyond uncomfortable. Iím losing [...] every passing day. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I'm sorry, I've already given you the best idea I have. You are being poly-drugged, and you have questions about many drugs and treatments. The site Surviving Antidepressants is the best place I know for help with poly-druging. (The name is a misnomer. It's not just about antidepressants.)