A BIT DISCOURAGED WITH MY SLEEP RESTRICTION

[ma...]

Don't know what happened last nite. It was nite #5 and I had trouble getting to sleep, even tho I was really tired during the day. Maybe I was upset from things that happened that day. I couldn't tell if I'd been asleep or not so I got up for a while, then back to bed. Couldn't sleep so I got up again and read for 1/2 hr. till 1:40. Think I fell asleep by almost 2. Then alarm went off at 5:30. I was feeling pretty good about how this sleep restriction was going, until last nite. It was scary not falling asleep right away. I couldn't tell if I'd been asleep or not so I thought I needed to get out of bed. Maybe I didn't need to cuz I think it woke me up more.

The other scary thing is at a meeting, I couldn't remember 2 peoples names. I know them very well. It was scary because the names just woudn't come to me and I know them well and I am good with names. Then last nite my husband asked me who I was on the phone with, and I couldn't remember. I have never had anything like this. I think this lack of sleep for so long is affecting my brain.

I guess I won't get much done today. I think the cumulative effect of such a lack of sleep is really getting to me. It has been 2.5 years off the benzos and 2.5 years of crummy, crummy sleep. I keep relying on unisom when I am exhausted but the DR. says that creates worse sleep. I sure hope this works.

Me too, I've been at this for 3 weeks.  I've been restricting myself to 5 hours.  Every second day I sleep for 5 hours.  On the off days I'm lucky to get an hour.  How long before SRT kicks in?  Last night I didn't even feel tired.  Ugh. 

sleepless you are still new in recovery so give it some more time. I know we hate hearing that because we can't do a thing about having more time go by. For most people, their sleep does return fairly soon...or should I say improves.

I was feeling so positive about the sleep restriction(even tho I'm using 1/4 of a unisom. With only 3 hrs last nite, I'm very bummed out. How will I do with no unisom????? I just want to feel human and I don't with so little sleep. I knew this would be hard but I've just gone so long with so little sleep.

Hope we all sleep well tonite.

How have your last couple of nights gone?

I've read that SRT works for 98% of people.  Sure hope that I'm not part of the 2%.

I know that I'm still in recovery after coming off of meds, but even the meds didn't help me sleep.  I haven't had solid sleep since December when all of this started out of no where.  Wish that there were more answers and solutions.

Let me know how you're doing.

Hi Sleepless. I am doing fairly well according to the DR. I like her a lot. Her support really does help me. I've had sleep problems for so long, I think I really needed this....tho it is costing me a fortune. My sleep is worth it.

I too worry about being in the small percentage who are not helped but we have to be positive and expect we will be with the norm. My Dr. said the percentage helped was not as high as what you read. I think it's more like 90% and maybe a bit less.  But we will be in the larger group, the sleepers!

The last 2 nites have been better for me, tho I had 2 glasses of wine last nite and it made me REALLY SLEEPY. I really had to fight to stay awake till 11. Once I got in bed, of course I wasn't as sleepy but did go to sleep quickly and the alarm woke me at 5:30 and I was sleeping soundly. The thing that worries me most is the using 1/4 of a unisom. Scared about what will happen when I have to drop it. I know it is helping. I think the idea is, we get my sleep time and cycle more regular.....11 or 11:30 till 5:30 and then drop the unisom.

One this program, which is now one full week, I did quite well the first 3 nites, crummy the next 3 and good last nite. She said I'm averaging close to 5 hrs. When I can do that for a full week, she will probably have me drop the unisom, which is completely scary to me. Also, she is going to be in Europe till mid July. I don't see her till July 18 and that is when I will be without the unisom. I can't believe she will be gone when I probably will have the hardest time.

Guess I just have to have faith that this will work. I really never expected to do this while taking unisom. I know it will be like starting all over again once I drop the unisom. She said the idea is to gain confidence that I can sleep like I'm doing now so I will feel able to sleep on my own. Have to trust she knows what she is doing, but I never heard of doing sleep restriction and still using the drugs.

How are you doing now? Dr. said it takes about 3 weeks to normalize but since you are still new to recovery it may take a bit longer. I am dreading starting over without the unisom.

Glad to hear that you've had a few good nights!  I think with a few more nights you will have the confidence to drop the unisom.

I'm not doing well.  I've been close to 4 weeks now (just the last two weeks at 5 hours though). I'm not seeing any improvement.  Some nights I fall right asleep at 1, but usually wake up before my alarm at 6.  Other nights I'm not falling asleep for more than an hour.  I had one stretch of 2 nights in a row of good sleep.  My first 4 nights off of remeron was my only other good stretch.  I fear that I a getting worse.  The less I sleep, the more anxious I get and the less I sleep.  It's such a hard cycle to break.  Damn insomnia damn drugs.  So emotionally drained :(.

• 8 years later...