OCD Sufferers Help Me! Can I take an SSRI?

I am hoping someone with OCD can give me some advice. I was on Klonopin up to 6 mg/day for 10 years. I had OCD prior to benzos and it has returned with an utterly relentless vengeance during the eight long months of my withdrawal. In fact, subtract the OCD, and I think about 70 percent of my brain would be back.

I tried to start Anafranil at 50 mgs/day, but it seemed to set off a lot more agitation. Is it worth sticking out the side effects? Is there another SSRI with less intense side effects that works for OCD?

It's worth noting that the geniuses at the 5 day detox too me off Paxil when I came off the Klonopin. God knows how much that worsened matters.

Thanks for your assistance and thoughts!

:D

pt

Paul -

After my seven years with benzos, and much research on psych drugs, I have come to the conclusion that for me, I will never ever consider them again.

River

Anafranil was the first psych drug I ever took (it was for OCD). I don't think it's an SSRI. If I recall correctly, it's a tricyclic antidepressant. The side effects were bad for about 6 weeks, and I never quite lost the fatigue (although I welcomed the sedating effect, because I'm a hardcore insomniac), but it worked better than anything else I ever took for OCD.

It's been a *long* time ago, but I want to say that I started with 25mg and slowly worked my way up. Maybe 50mg is too high of a dose to start with? Especially while you're dealing with benzo withdrawal...?

I've taken a slew of psych meds over the years (mostly completely unnecessary ... hindsight). The only other antidepressant (an SSRI) that helped my OCD was Zoloft, which I was on for several years and started around the same time I started Klonopin. I weaned off of it 4 years ago and OCD hasn't been a problem since. I've had a few, inconsequential flare-ups here and there in withdrawal, but so far, I'm able to dismiss them easily. I know this may get worse as I get lower in dosage, but so far, anyway, it hasn't been a problem.

If I had it to do over again, I'd give behavioral therapy a chance before resorting to meds, as well as ensuring consistent, intense exercise. That said, I know OCD can be debilitating, and it's of course a personal decision. Best wishes, whatever you decide to do.

I tried SSRIs and they made things worse for me. I decided that it made no sense for me to try to substitute one drug for another, despite my desperation to get symptom relief. I believe that if there were an antidote for withdrawal symptoms it would be well known on this forum and we would all be doing it.

From what I've read SSRIs only help about 1/3 of the people who take them, and even those may be having a placebo effect. In addition they have bad side effects and withdrawal symptoms. If you take an SSRI you will gain weight and your libido will either disappear or you will get anorgasmia - a bad trade for something that doesn't work anyway!

[ce...]

I've take SSRI's off/on for OCD for a long time.  Like NoKlonoNo, I am taking Zoloft (small dose, past 5 years) and it has helped my OCD tremendously.  If you  have OCD you really should either be trying to pursue CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy as NoKlonoNo suggested) or SSRI's or both.  It's a very individual thing. 

I have come to firmly believe mine is genetic - after fighting taking or staying on SSRI meds forever.  SSRI's have literally saved me.  I am off Klonopin cold turkey and I believe being on the Zoloft eased that transition.  You are the only one who can decide what is right for you but if your OCD is in high gear, you should at the very least be getting some therapy.  Best of luck.

As for the awful side effects and that they don't work, most people I know who have taken SSRI's have not had any awful side effects.  In face the majority have been greatly helped.  As for anorgasmia, that passes as your body gets used to it.  I did have issues with that in the first few months but it waned and my libido was fine after that.  I did not gain weight on Zoloft.  There is no way to make blanket statements about these medications as each person's physiology is unique.  You have to decide what is best for you, that's all, in consult with a good, qualified therapist or doctor.  Best of luck.

Thank you all. My science was off. Anafranil is a TCA.

I've never taken Zoloft. I am familiar with CBT and using it has markedly reduced my panic attacks. However, my OCD has become completely debilitating, almost unbearable.

I did not add an important detail. Knowing Tramadol has a mild antidepressant effect, I was taking it for that reason before deciding whether to go back on Anafranil. A little research today revealed it's even being prescribed for relief of OCD.

Thus my symptoms have been going up and down, worst at night and in the morning, when I am not on Tramadol or far less than the rest of the day.

I assume that a constant "supply" of Anafranil or, perhaps, Zoloft would keep the OCD at a tolerable level without the ups and downs of my Tramadol self-treatment. My libido is in the ditch anyway, so I'm no too worried about.

Anyone know if Zoloft is somewhat lighter on the side effects than Anafranil?

Thanks all!

I had fewer side effects on Zoloft than on Anafranil. (Anorgasmia on both, but it went away after 6 very long weeks, lol.)

That said, I had increased anxiety on Zoloft that I didn't have at all on Anafranil. I'm not sure how long that side effect would have lasted, though, since that's when I started taking Klonopin, but I think increased anxiety would be especially difficult during benzo withdrawal.

If my OCD returns to intolerable levels that I can't manage without meds, my choice would be to go back on Anafranil. There are a couple of reasons for that, in addition to the anxiety issue. The main one is that it worked amazingly well for my rather horrendous insomnia problem. It's also an old drug and--rational or not--I trust it more. I had no withdrawal effects at all weaning off of it in a very short time (because of surgery), whereas with Zoloft, I had 4 months of brain zaps and other weirdness (nothing remotely close to benzo withdrawal, though).

Thanks, NoKlonoNo, that's just the kind of info I need. The absolute last thing I need is more anxiety and, as with you, fatigue is almost a good thing. There have been times I'll drop a couple Excederin PM's not to knock out but just slow down at least 1 MPH.

I tried to start on 100 mgs of Anafranil last week, not really thinking how much the Tramedol would add to the side effects, but I'm now convinced of the obvious. Kicking the Anafranil down to 50 mgs to start, at the same time I start tapering the Tramedol DOWN, should, I think, get me to a more stable point. And if all else fails, I'm back to where I started or can get a prescription for 25 mg/day of Anafranil next month and try for a third time.

In case anyone sees the above mentions of Tramedol and OCD treatment, please do not take my word for it. Tramedol by itself can cause seizures and all the more so if combined with a straight antidepressant. I only related the info above to paint a clearer picture of my situation. As to my experience, Tramadol does provide eight to ten hours of OCD relief, but it's not without its own side effects and some of them at times seemed significant to troubling a few months ago. I assume that's related to my benzo withdrawal, but I can't be positive. It also has negative effects on my heart rate and breathing (at times fast and heavy, respectively). I have modulated my Tramedol intake accordingly. Repeat, there is a real risk of seizures and serotonin syndrome.

A word to the wise: As is almost always the case, my psychiatrist of the moment knew virtually nothing about what he prescribed, much less my off-label and admitted use of Tramedol and any drug interactions it might pose. You know the score: Minus the prescription pad, if you've got head problems, you might as well see a dentist.

Please see this article for more info and, again, my experience with Tramadol suggests seeing a doctor first and considering whether its side effects will be worth any improvement when adding benzo withdrawal to the mix: http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/article.aspx?articleID=173397

pt

:idiot:

I have GAD but I also think I have a little undiagnosed OCD as well. I am currently taking Effexor, a pretty high dose too. I feel like it is DEFINITELY helping me tapering off of Klonopin. Effexor is indicated for OCD as well. Hope this is helpful.

I'm with River Wolf. I think most ADs - and ALL the SSRI's are just a way to make money for drug companies.

The LESS drugs I take, the better.

IMHO.

east

I'm definitely not pro-pharmcotherapy and I had planned to stay off them, but my OCD is off the freeeaking charts.  :-\  I feel almost forced to try it. I ended up in a house where, when I mentioned my problem, learned this person happened to be taking Klonopin and it was in the house. A few more weeks of this kind of OCD and I don't want to end up in a similar situation. The Tramadol helps, but it's an SSI and I'm really less comfortable taking that given the info I added to my previous post. But thanks for your input -- this is certainly not a settled issue and I shall see. I'll report back when a decision is in.

Thanks re: the Effexor post. So far, both Wellbutrin and Effexor jacked me up too much (these were the two "rehab" tried), but that was earlier in the game. If the Anafranil doesn't take, I'll have to reconsider all these options.

Hi Paul123,

I took paxil/klonopin for years and stopped the paxil four years ago and just went off the K (with the aid

of V which I'm still on) recently.

I came down with OCD after going off paxil. Really.

I fixed it, though, and this may sound weird, but here goes: I started taking Ashwagandha, but

what really fixed it was probiotics. (The probiotics we get in mother's milk are designed to soothe

a newborn and so on..) I never thought that would happen. Wonderful.

Let us know your progress.

I relate to your diatribe about doctors, by the way.

All my best,

Ig

I see what some of you are saying, but for some people, medication is needed. I am one of them. I have successfully tapered off Effexor three times, each time I have reverted back to horrible mental anguish way after I had stopped the drug. I do have a connective tissue disorder which inhibits synapsis from firing and connecting, among many other symptoms. So I NEED the drug in order to work and function and support my family. But I do agree they are over prescribed and a lot of people don't need them, but they do have their place for some people as well.

Hi Paul

If I were you, I would spend a LOT of time educating myself about the entire medical and psychological industry and culture. There are so many disturbing anomalies that will surface after even a modest research effort.

There are many other more effective alternatives to psych drugs.

NLP is one. Check it out. Some places to start would be to search within Youtube for OCD NLP  or  Faster EFT OCD  This is just a start. There are MANY.  If it were me, I would not seek talk therapy, but rapid change techniques like NLP.

OCD is relatively easy to resolve permanently and quickly.

River

Hi River,

what's NLP? I'll look into that on Youtube.

Do you practice EFT?

Best,

Ig

NLP = Neuro-linguistic programming.

I have no experience with NLP. which was popular in the 1970's. Today it is not popular because many researchers found it to be ineffective, and it stands somewhat discredited.

Proponents claimed it worked very rapidly with a single session often showing dramatic results. That "quick fix" claim makes it somewhat suspect for me. Life just doesn't work that way. Anybody here ever found a quick fix or a magic bullet?

[ce...]
Do I know of a quick fix for OCD?  No.  It doesn't exist.  If you have or have had it (I have it) or know someone who has OCD, you already know this. There is no quick and permanent cure for OCD and to suggest otherwise shows a lack of understanding of this disorder.  I agree with 2thdoc.

Hi everybody,

River Wolf, I looked into NLP and it looks interesting.

Jaxie, I understand that some people need med(s) and do well with it/them.

Congratulations for getting off Effexor. That's a triumph as that's a rough drug to stop.

My post-Paxil OCD (never had it before) was pretty fierce. I have found along the way

that probiotics have pretty much eliminated it. What an unexpected and welcome surprise.

I started Ashwagandha first and found it helped too.

I understand how creepy OCD is and I wish you the best, Paul. Let us all know how you are doing.

All my best,

Ig

I'm starting to think I'm better off taking the Tramadol, which I now suspect is doing as much for OCD as Anafranil will and with the side effects already known without waiting a month or more to see how Anafranil works. I'm sure my w/d OCD is like my w/d anxiety: There's no magic pill, though I refuse to quit looking! :o