SSRI hindering recovery sleep?

[cr...]

I am desperate to get some good sleep.  I have taken Seroquel in the past on a very PRN basis to help me sleep.  For a few weeks in October I think I took it regularly.  It helps me sleep, but I sleep too long and I still don't feel rested.  I don't want to become dependent on it either to sleep.  Since my second day at the hospital and since I have been back home (9 days total) I have not been able to sleep except if I take the Seroquel.  If I am sleeping it is so light I don't even know I am doing it.  It seems like I am lying in bed all night tossing and turning.  Going on this many days with no relief in site I am wondering when this will go away and if my newly perscribed SSRI is aggravating it.  Historically since trying to get back on an SSRI, insomnia is usually always a side effect for me.

When I first tried to step down all the way off Klonopin I had trouble sleeping, but I did get sleep, with horrible nightmares/ very vivid dreams.  Ashton says that although uncomfortable this is a sign that the brain is healing. 

Since I went to the hospital and got switched over to Valium and was prescribed Fluvoxamine (now already up to 150mg a day) I haven't been able to sleep.

I believe that SSRI's also cause a disturbance in REM sleep.  Yes?  Could taking this actually be hindering my recovery?

cc,

I think all of the above is disrupting your sleep. I do tend to think the AD aggravates sleep, especially when starting. You have recently gone rapidly down in benzo, so this too is causing it.

I was seroquel and it worked great. I took it regularly and later prn. I actually took some again last week due to a bad cold and cough that wouldn't allow me to sleep. I originally took 100mg, but since have only take a 1/4 of that, with just as good results. I personally think it is ok to use it occasionally if you have it and need it. In small doses.

smaller doses actually work better sometimes.

I believe that SSRI's also cause a disturbance in REM sleep.  Yes?  Could taking this actually be hindering my recovery?

Yes, it could be. We really try to avoid advising on AD's, as this is a benzo site. We generally don't like to recommend them, unless of course one is suicidally depressed. But this is something between your doc and you. SSRI's eventually lose the insomnia factor, and may actually help you sleep. But it can also effect your taper in other ways, good and bad. My personal choice would be not to take one. I think the more psych meds in the mix, the harder it is to distinguish what is causing what. Keep it simple. But since you do have a history of AD use, this complicates things a bit. This is a decision you have to make for yourself. If you would like to give it a couple of more weeks to see if you improve, make sure you taper it if you decide to go off at that time. you also might want to ask your doc if you can reduce your dosage a this time, and see if your sleep improves.

TC :)     

Yes, SSRI's can definitely interfere with sleep, causing insomnia at first!  My pdoc just put me on 12.5mg. of zoloft and it says to take in the morning on the bottle.  After the initial breaking in period when the drug starts "working", they are said to sometimes help with sleep.  But I have read about zoloft withdrawal on google and I am going to see my pdoc tomorrow and tell her no way am I getting iatrogenically "hooked" on another drug!  One is enough and I will stop the zoloft now while I can easily (only been on it for four days). 

Best of luck with your insomnia.  I have it also and stay up until 1-2am because I cannot sleep earlier.  I may be tolerance withdrawal to the xanax but I am planning to start a taper anyway.

Have you tried a bit of magnesium to help with the insomnia?  It sometimes helps me.  Also chamomile tea really does work for me. 

Maureen

I take a tricyclic for sleep and it has worked very well despite being n an SSRI. The dosage of the tricyclic is smaller than that recommended for an anti depressant effect. 

Thank you everyone for your responses, input, and suggestions.  :)  I actually fell back asleep this morning/afternoon after taking my dog to the groomer.  This may be because I still had Seroquel running through my system though as I took it quite late, but I am hoping it wasn't and that I may be able to sleep tonight without it.

-michelle

• 2 weeks later...

I am suicidally depressed and have been for some time.  I have struggled with the thoughts of resorting to that option for years, but it was very rare.  Only this past October did the  thoughts become a daily companion. 

I personally think it became worse due to the depletion of my serotonin from the long term use of Klonopin. In other words I think using the benzo long term exacerbated my already existent and pretty severe depression.

I am taking Lexapro now and have promised myself to stick with it.  No more changing around.

I am going to start a blog about my recovery in the blog section.  :)

In other words I think using the benzo long term exacerbated my already existent and pretty severe depression.

CC, even short term benzo use can cause or exacerbate very severe depression. Then throw wd into that, and you've got a real volitile mix. I think in your case it's a very good idea to stick with the lexapro. You hang in there. I honestly think once this is all done, your depression will lift. Maybe even without the lexapro at some point.

Just because you have had a history of depression does not mean you will have it forever. Brain chemistry is in constant flux, and has to do with hormone levels and such. As we age, all these levels shift, and you very well may find that you don't have depression anymore. What is going on now is due to your benzo use and taper. 

TC!