Summary of ideas users have tried

[cr...]

I read through all the posts in the thread on "What works" and I just wanted to verify that I got it all.  Users here have tried...

Abdominal Breathing

Exercise

Relaxation CD's

Other audio CD's

book "Say Goodnight to Insomnia" using Harvard method

book by Claire Weeks ? Did I remember that name right?

Melatonin

Calms Forte

Chamomile Tea

Tart Cherry extract or pills... don't remember which

Inderal (propranolol)

Remeron

Phenegran

Check Adrenal Stress Index and Hormone levels

Peaches ideas :)

Any more?  :thumbsup:

I read through all the posts in the thread on "What works" and I just wanted to verify that I got it all.  Users here have tried...

Abdominal Breathing

Exercise

Relaxation CD's

Other audio CD's

Melatonin

Calms Forte

Chamomile Tea

Inderal (propranolol)

Remeron

Phenegran

You want a job?  :laugh:

Only other thing I can think of is Valerian root.  I occasionally take a 450mg capsule and it seems to help as much as the Calms Forte.

Magnesium.  Start with a small amount.  Preferably magnesium taurate or magnesium glyconate.  This may not work for everyone but it has helped some to relax a bit while in withdrawal.

Google "magnesium and depression". The first site that comes up should be: "Rapid Recovery From Depression Using Magnesium Treatment". Lots more info is there as to which forms of Magnesium are best and which worst, etc.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tony

Thanks for adding to my thread guys.  :) 

I am having the biggest problem right now with tinnitus, trouble sleeping, and a very deep depression/feelings of depersonilzation.  The twitching and tremors seem to be letting up.

Hope things look up soon.  Been off Klonopin for two weeks today.  Off of Valium since I took my last dose Sunday night, so four days there.

-michelle

What a great assessment of techniques and aids for sleep.  Thanks muchly.

How about simple meditation?

About a month ago I finally broke down and googled "vipasana meditation instruction" and up popped a ton of links giving basic, easy to follow directions.  I've been practicing twice a day ever since and, knock on wood, my klonopin taper became much much easier and my ability to fall asleep and stay asleep changed drastically.  Took a week or so to really take affect but I can't believe the difference.

No religion, no cults, no donations, just simple techniques to calm, focus and relieve the mind and therefore the nervous system. 

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't know Omega 3 helped with insomnia.  Has it helped yours?

I know there is hope that it helps with depression and to improve mental clarity, lessen irritability, and that it is beneficial to the cardiovascular system.  Of course anything that helps with depression may help with sleep.

I have tried to get on it myself.  I found a nice once a day supplement.  The only problem is remembering to take it.  I either forget to take it or I am too depressed and sleep through my dosing time.  They say it takes about 3 months of daily dosing to start to see a benefit.  I haven't ever made it that long without missing a pill.

The supplement I found doesn't have the daily recommended amount in it though, so I supplement it with soymilk and fruit juice that I found that also have Omega 3 in them to cover the whole daily amount.  I also of course try to eat natural sources of it as well.

How do you feel about those lovely fishy burps.  I hate those!

How do you feel about those lovely fishy burps.  I hate those!

I have to take it immediately after I eat to avoid those!

• 2 weeks later...

This might sound a bit silly but I read in a magazine that it helps to turn the alarm clock face away from your sight when going to bed because it avoids having any light from the clock face interfering with sleep and it keeps you from becoming anxious over how much you are waking up and/or how much sleep you are or not getting.  I've found this technique to be very helpful.  I set the alarm, turn it away from me, and don't look at the clock until I'm ready to get up. 

Also, especially if using Melatonin, the room should be completely dark.  Back in the day, before my benzo protracted withdrawal syndrome insomnia, I used to leave a night light on in the room. No more.

Abdominal Breathing

Exercise

Relaxation CD's

Other audio CD's

Melatonin

Calms Forte

Chamomile Tea

Inderal (propranolol)

Remeron

Phenegran

You want a job?   :laugh:

This might sound a bit silly but I read in a magazine that it helps to turn the alarm clock face away from your sight when going to bed because it avoids having any light from the clock face interfering with sleep and it keeps you from becoming anxious over how much you are waking up and/or how much sleep you are or not getting.  I've found this technique to be very helpful.  I set the alarm, turn it away from me, and don't look at the clock until I'm ready to get up. 

Also, especially if using Melatonin, the room should be completely dark.  Back in the day, before my benzo protracted withdrawal syndrome insomnia, I used to leave a night light on in the room. No more.

This might sound a bit silly but I read in a magazine that it helps to turn the alarm clock face away from your sight when going to bed because it avoids having any light from the clock face interfering with sleep and it keeps you from becoming anxious over how much you are waking up and/or how much sleep you are or not getting.   I've found this technique to be very helpful.  I set the alarm, turn it away from me, and don't look at the clock until I'm ready to get up. 

Hi, Mantis. 

Thanks for the helpful post.  I can't stand any light when I sleep and even use a sleep mask in the morning.  When I had a digital alarm clock I did use to face it away from me because the light bothered me.  Interesting to learn that it's actual helpful for sleep.

How are you doing?

This might sound a bit silly but I read in a magazine that it helps to turn the alarm clock face away from your sight when going to bed because it avoids having any light from the clock face interfering with sleep and it keeps you from becoming anxious over how much you are waking up and/or how much sleep you are or not getting.   I've found this technique to be very helpful.  I set the alarm, turn it away from me, and don't look at the clock until I'm ready to get up. 

Or you can put it face down, and then it quiets the ticking too! That's what I do  :)

OR put it across the room so it's not so tempting to look at.

Hi there.  I had a bit of trouble finding my posts here at first. I started a new thread that tells a bit about me.   I'm 7 1/2 months off Restoril and Xanax and slowly my insomnia is improving.  On Trazodone and am going to start tapering that.  I don't like taking even that but the Trazadone saved me int hat it gets me to sleep and helps me get back to sleep quickly when I wake up.

Also, are you familiar with general sleep hygiene principles?

Here's another interesting tidbit I picked up.  Am male friend of mine (who is not a benzo user) told me that he had a cough recently that was waking him up a lot at night. When the cough went away, he continued to wake up a lot for a week or two but now he's ok. That got me to thinking that aside from the benzo insomnia, one's body has to be retrained not to keep waking up, so to speak.

Not all fish oils cause this problem. I've not had the problem of fishy "aftertaste"  with Enzymatic Therapy's Eskimo 3.  Also, the prescription fish oil, Lovaza, doesn't cause this problem for me.

Hi there.  I had a bit of trouble finding my posts here at first. I started a new thread that tells a bit about me.  

I notice you posted your info. under Withdrawal Support/Insomnia.  It would be easier to find if it was in your own thread under Buddie Blogs.  You could start a new topic under Buddie Blogs and paste the info. in rather than retyping it if you'd like.  Or you could start a topic in Welcome to the Forum where people will see that you are new here. If you need help with either, let us know.  BTW, glad you found Benzo Buddies.  It's a great place to hang out and give and receive support.  ;D

Thanks for the info on a supplement that doesn't seem to cause fishy burps.  I will have to look into those!  :yippee:

Another very good non fish source of omega 3 is flax seed. I buy it whole, and grind it to a fine powder using a coffee grinder. I use two tablespoons in my oatmeal every morning. Tastes great too.

Thanks for the tip, eljay. I never knew how to use it though I've seen flax seed recommended for all kinds of things.