Lyrics stuck in head? Anybody

[mc...]

Somedays from the second i wake,up I have lyrics stuck in my head and they just play over and over. It comes on for days at a time and then goes away for days. Is this OCD?

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [pr...]

• [ea...]

• [Ca...]

• [mc...]

Nope. At least I dont think so. But perhaps someone else will speak up about this and educate us both.

I know I heard looping music a long, long time, and it frightened me terribly. I was sure I was losing my mind. I was convinced no one else had this symptom. But I found out others did. I started a thread about it....you might try a search for " looping music " and come across it. It was a VERY reassuring thread for me!

east

I have this everyday - I don't sleep well and when I wake usually around 4 am I always have lyrics in my head..It's so weird, and I'm not ocd - just someone who is in her 6th month of detoxing...It sucks, because if it's a good song you really never want to hear it again after it playing in your mind for hours..

Thanks for sharing that Spengler. It figures, Oliver Sacks wrote it! He's written some great neuro stuff.

One source I found called this a "hearing distortion," which is nicer than "auditory hallucination", I guess.

All I know is, when it went on 24/7, it about drove me nuts. I seriously thought Id lost my mind.

east

[f7...]

It's funny you should write about this. I watched a DVD this morning on my laptop while I was riding my exercise bike and the song "I Want You to Want Me" played and IT got stuck in my head and has been playing over and over. I don't think it's benzos or anything serious. Our brains are kind of frazzled from all this, so I think they're sponges when it comes to things, be they songs or images.

I'm drawing a blank on who did that song, so I guess I'm off to Google to find out. Hang in there -- and ENJOY the music in your mind...

Best wishes,

Tucson

[f7...]

I'm back! In case anyone was curious it was Cheap Trick who did that song I'm hearing. D'oh!

Me on Day 16 :idiot:

Best wishes,

Tucson

• 2 weeks later...
YES, more people need to know about  this.... It is most certainly 100% WITHDRAWAL, that I am positive of! I had this so bad for years during interdose withdrawal. I truly thought I was going insane, and I'm sure my doctors did too. I went to so many professionals, none of them could help this (or any other symptoms). The only thing that made it stop was... wait for it... stopping the benzos. To me, this is an extremely acute wd symptom and it was (thankfully) one of the first to heal. Never had it before or after acute wd. It was torturous!

The looping music lasted for monthes, about drove me mad. This one symptom had me convinced Id gone bonkers! Mine wasnt a song I knew, just this dopey musical phrase that played over and over, night and day. Sometimes it would change tones, pitches, but it was the same phrase. Only within the last few weeks has it started to go away.

I cant think off the top of my head which part of the brain would produce this., but for sure, it gets temporarily damaged.

Did any of you notice that anxiety made it get worse??? I did.

east

thanks everyone for sharing, i thought it was just me, and i am glad i'm not the only one. i can't turn my brain off - it is a terrible symptom, anxiety did not make it worse, but the songs or background music won't go away, it's the worst at night.

I had the looping music and names repeating over and over and I knew it was withdrawal, I also heard circus like music coming out of the walls for awhile and never once thought I was going a bit "off" I knew it was withdrawal.

My brain was just trying to deal with the changes and hence producing all this weird sensory perceptions.

I have no more looping tunes or the walls playing circus music, yikes that was bizarre, all stopped now and has been for months now.

Ladygrace12 :smitten:

I had the looping music and names repeating over and over and I knew it was withdrawal, I also heard circus like music coming out of the walls for awhile and never once thought I was going a bit "off" I knew it was withdrawal.

My brain was just trying to deal with the changes and hence producing all this weird sensory perceptions.

I have no more looping tunes or the walls playing circus music, yikes that was bizarre, all stopped now and has been for months now.

Ladygrace12 :smitten:

hi lg - thank you for sharing - the symptoms are getting worse. i know this will pass i had that huge window and all my symptoms were gone, but now i'm in this huge wave - 2 and 1/2 weeks with no relief, it's hare to relax and know that this is all part of the healing process i try to relax and tell myself this is normal - i just needed to know that others are having the same "sensory issues" now i can relax because i know it's not just me..

Hey, Wow, I had this really bad when I first came off Benzo's....(At Shand's in Florida--Where they had me go Cold Turkey off Benzo's...and are now sending me huge bills every month...but would not file my insurance....I am not only bitter...I am furious and pissed off.

I thought I had just stepped over the edge...but now I know that I did step over the edge, but I was pushed there by even more competent medical professionals that should know everything there is to know about benzo withdrawal...and do not.

A few things I know for a fact....

1) DO NOT COLD TURKEY OFF BENZO'S

2) DO NOT GO TO A REHAB PLACE FOR HELP...They don't know anymore than the person that wrote you the script to begin with///

3) This sucks and should not happen to another person...

The music stopped a long time ago...and now I cannot remember any lyrics....

I really hope my cognitive abilities start coming back soon.

Causing

• 2 weeks later...
I'm coming to like it when it's a good few songs in a row...on full blast...so at least I don't hear all the crazy stuff going on in my brain

I suppose it can be bad for some people, some good, some mixed. I don't mind having music in my head constantly (I'm a singer/songwriter anyway)...but when it's one of those songs you just can't stand...lol, you know what I mean!

what a cool good job..i have been watching the sopranos at night and can't get the theme song out of my head..i also watch reality tv and can't get the music from that out of my head either..

i do know what you mean..i have't been able to listen to music at all for the last 7 months..i have a permanent dip in my couch from my butt from sitting all day..

During cold turkey last year. I was reading about benzodiazepines and the word haunted me.  I woke up one morning and the word repeated itself over and over as the room spun around me in the dark.

benzodiazepines, benzodiazepines , benzodiazepines, benzodiazepines,,,,  OMG,, I could not stop my mind from repeating it.  It was beyond hell. really horrific.

Talk about the feeling of insanity.  Those days are a bad dream now, thank God.

omg, yes! I don't mean this in a bad way but thank goodness somebody else has this w/d problem. I thought I was the only one!

Songs playing over and over and over and over, ad naseum, in my head all the time. And there is nothing...and I mean NOTHING...that I can do to make them stop. From the minute I wake up until the minute I go to sleep they're there.  :idiot:

This has never happened to me in my lifetime until I started tapering. Yes, once in a while a song would get stuck in my head just like any other normal person, but not like during this taper!!!

Definitely w/d, IMO.

koko

I've had this on and off repeating lyrics thing throughout my life.

Whether it is or isn't BZ w/d sxs, mine does seem to be more pronounced now, like 5-10's per day every day, a song I like comes to me & just stays there.

I don't mind this at all especially when I don't have anything else to do. It sure is better than the dead people dreams.

It is a bother though when I want to concentrate on something.

I hear a lot of those 1 hit wonder songs from the 20's, to 60's. sometimes its not just lyrics, maybe a melody-but mostly just a few words repeating over & over like the record it stuck. :idiot:

cagr1,

The songs I hear are always ones that I know but usually from way back in the 60s & 70s mostly. A lot of rock & roll, very little anything else. Today the most prevalent song in my head has been "Love of My Life" by Queen Live Montreal. And like someone else on this thread mentioned, I LOVE that song and don't want it ruined for me. Argh...I hope the channel switches soon!

Oh, and just to clear the record (so to speak...har har), I have never had OCD or any tendencies toward OCD either.

koko

wow, i get the same thing, a  song from the band  queen, for me its plays over and over in my head. its like i can hear it, i hate it, it happens when i try to sleep. i feel better knowing its not only me. lol.  this may sound crazy, but it may be they want it that way? why would one song get stuck in your head, and repeat itself over and over? ::)

I had this one for monthes, it about drove me nuts. In the last month plus, it finally has started to go away. Now I hear it only when I'm especially anxious, and its fainter.

No wonder so many people who come off a benzo end up back on them. This kind of stuff seriously makes you think you're mentally ill.

east