Clonazepam - Withdrawl

[He...]

Hi, I have been prescribed Clonazepam due to having sleep maintenance insomnia for 6 months, where I would sleep 4-5 hours straight then awakening and feel tired the next day.  I took it for 4 days, 0.5mg the first night, and 1mg then next three nights.  However, the past two nights since stopping, I have been having much worse insomnia.  Now it takes me very long to fall asleep, and am sleeping much shorter time and its impossible to fall back asleep once awakened.  Can I really be dependent on it after only 4 days?  If so, how long does it usually till these effects stop? 

Hi Henoch,

Well, it may not be a full blown dependence, but sure, your body could have already become a bit used to it, and it's now rebounding on you. I think a few more days and this should pass. Please don't be tempted to take more, as you can well see where this may lead. It's really not worth it.

Your original sleep problem you've had the past six months will probably resolve on their own, if you let it. Not sure if you have tried any of these methods, but exercise, yoga and meditation are all very effective in regulating sleep.

Take care!

Hey Henoch,

I was given Klonopin for sleep troubles as well, a year of continuous bone crunching insomnia so I know where you are coming from and I assure you, the Klonopin will help but ONLY take it infrequently and stay at the low dose.  I was taking around a 1/4 of a milligram every night for two weeks, sleeping much better than I had been and then I found my body adapting to it and wanting me to up the dosage.  I didn't and within a couple of weeks my sleep got better again.  But please, be real careful.  Some people are able to take this medication "as needed" which could be once a month, once a week or even twice a week but taken regularly it invariably leads to complications.  You will eventually need more, you will become physically dependent upon it and you'll notice slight changes in your personality and behavior and then coming off the medication will be a long and sometimes disturbing process.  Your doctor knows half the story on Benzos, the other half of the story is in the pages of this site and I advise you to spend some time here.  I also confirm Eljay's advice; yoga, exercise, meditation, keeping a cool head even though it is 4:30am and you're freaking out (this is where meditation comes in) and time will ultimately be more beneficial in the long run.  I thought Klonopin was the answer to my prayers as regards my insomnia but it just brought me another set of difficulties.  Do a google search on "vipasana meditation instruction" which is a very gentle, passive, breath oriented meditation you can do before bed, during the day or even in the middle of the night.  No religions, cults or voodoo attached to it and there are basic written and audio instructions all over the web, in particular at the Insight Meditation site.  It worked wonders for me once I finally broke down and started practicing it twice a day when I could.  Hang in there with the sleep thing, I'm with you, it's really horrible.  But if you can take the Klonopin only now and again and work through your sleep issues with other tools you'll be much happier and better off.  Take it from me.  Good luck and stick with this site, it's really the best thing going, fantastic people and lots of info and support.  PMouse

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am not sure about developing dependency in a short period of time.  However, with these drugs there are so many variations, based on each individual, that as eljay said, it's possible but hopefully mild.?

Please please try not to be tempted to take more to alleviate the symptoms you are experiencing...it will only get worse. 

I am up to 2mg of klon per night for sleep and it is a nightmare...no pun intended.  Been on klon for a total of about 2 yrs.  I have developed tolerance symptoms which evidently mimic withdrawal symptoms.  I will not increase the dose as my Dr. would like.  So basically, withdrawal before even tapering........ :-[  Talk to your Dr. and if he/she invalidates your symptoms...see someone else.

Hang in There!!!

I was prescribed Restoril rather than Klonopin for sleep after developing insomnia following an adverse reaction to an antibiotic.  The Restoril worked VERY short term; several weeks at the most. I thought I had hit gold.  I then began to develop what I now recognize as tolerance withdrawal; symptoms between doses of Restoril which I was only taking at bedtime.  I experienced worsening insomnia, jitteryness, paresthesias. This went on for 8 months, with my former doctor not recognozing what was happening.  I finally figured out what was happening and got off the benzos.  I'm still having protracted withdrawal symptoms at 8 1/2 months out, the most bothersome insomnia, VERY slowly improving over time but still a significant problem.  I have periodic exacerbations of the insomnia that's always present.  I agree with what the others have posted here; be very cautious using Benzos for sleep with any degres of regularity.  They only work in the very short term.  I wouldn't wish what I've been through on anyone.