Panics

[ly...]

Ive had a couple of panic attacks, but scared cos these are differant, makes me feel i want to sleep and pass out is it w/d?

• 1 month later...

Lynnie,

I'm having a panic attack now, and I feel like lying down, but I am too agitated. I know it's withdrawal because I recently made another cut. I can't stand the anxiety. I would take depression any day over this panicky feeling. It makes me wonder if it will get worse as I go lower. I just have to hope that I'll more or less stabilize again before my next cut. Yuck. I feel for you.

Love,

Genie

When panic comes in withdrawal, your brain receptors are healing. This is an unpleasant but necessary part of the healing.  It gets better.

• 2 months later...
i am a bit confused about the panics being a sign that the brain receptors are healing, originally i was put on benzos for panic disorder, so when i was having panics without meds was that a sign my receptors were healing prior to meds, coming off benzos do produce panics in people who never had them before, so in that particular instance that makes perfect sence, has anyone else gone on these meds for panic disorder, and managed to come off of them, and eventually learned to go through them and managed to live a life, would like to know where to find cognitive reconstructioning, think this can only be effective once off benzos as w/d produces them alone, still think help and reasurance of adrenelin  amounts in peoples hormones could be explained to us by drs, sadly this is not explained, dr heather ashton states this clearly, fear of the fear of panic alone sets it off,  anyone  managed to live with /and manage to do things like go room to room ok , wash, bath, cook, eat, concerntrate, see other people, go out, use the phone, wach tv, and a whole host of everyday life again///?

Withdrawal makes panics worse. Withdrawal is not the only cause of panic. In withdrawal your nervous system "resets" and this is the healing. It is also scary (panic).

Better coping mechanisms are needed. Drugs don't work. Withdrawal causes more panic. People can learn better coping strategies. It is not easy (sorry). Things that are worth having are worth working for. Many have been helped by cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). I am sure there are information sites and resources you can find by doing a google or yahoo search.

THe worst part, for me at least, is that the panic I had as a kid/teen (prior to being medicated) was more of the five minute attack every couple of hours. Now it's like I feel like I'm in a state of panic for hours. It's more intense... but it IS w/d. Right?

CBT does help. I go weekly.

Yes, I believe it is withdrawal!  It has to be...or I had the longest panic attack in the history of panic attacks!!  I was in that state of total panic for about 5 months!!

Jen