Nuclear Stress Test-Need Advice!

[Sa...]

I have been having chest pains under my left breast the last several days. My cardiologist is recommending that I have a Nuclear Stress Test. Does anyone know if this is something I should refrain from? I will be injected with radioactive substance. :o  This scares me. I am seven months benzo free but have had bad reactions to almost any supplement or antibiotic I take. I had an EKG as well as an ultrasound three months ago and the results were fine. I did have this Nuclear Stress Test done pre benzos without a problem. Please advise.

Here's a description of the test they want to perform:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nuclear-stress-test/AN00168

Thanks.

Sandy

Let me read it and I'll get back to you. I can email you if you log off.  MY first instinct is to say I don't think it would be a problem. 

Well, it seems kind of extreme to me since your tests 3 months ago were fine. I wonder why they don't just do another ultrasound? This shows blood flow thru the heart. I have to admit I haven't heard of a nuclear stress test, but I haven't been in the field for a few years, so what do I know? This may just be latest best test.

As for the injection, I honestly don't think this will effect you as far as your post wd. First of all, you are pretty far post. And I can't think that the material would have any kind of effect. Not like supps or antibiotics. It's just a one time shot, it will be out of your bloodstream in a matter of hours.

But Sandy, you know I can't tell you for sure. If they think the test is important though, I would tell you to go for it. If, at the outside chance you do have some problems with it, well, you know that you recovered all the other times you had a bad reaction.

Call me if you want.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have to have them every 6 months because I had melanoma they also did one for my heart. I was told there would be no problems continuing other then alot of radiation. I have not had one since my taper but was on Ativan when I did.

I think you will be fine.

Hugs,

Donna

Had one done awhile back and evrything was just fine. It all leaves the system soon. Just dringk alot of water afterwards and you will be jsut fine. :)