Long term Zolpidem User

[yo...]

Heyo, have been using Ambien/Stilnox for about 8 years and feel the need to get off ASAP, seems like a great place to start.

Hello yonkayonk

Welcome to Benzo Buddies we are glad you found us. While ambien is not a benzo it is what is called a z drug and does impact the same part of the nervous system as a benzo.  The ashton manual gives some information about the z drugs like ambien: The Ashton Manual

I  have not had any experience with  Ambien but I know members who do will be happy to weigh in. It is important to taper slowly and gradually off these types of medications.  It is generally suggested to taper no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days, this should help to minimize withdrawal effects.

Please feel free to post to any of the dedicated boards, we have a lot of knowledgeable members here. Here is a link to the  General Taper Plans  and If you would be so kind as to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice this link will show you how to Create a signature

Please let us know If you have any questions.

Welcome Aboard

Magrita

I was on zolpidem as well as valium, but I foolishly just stopped taking it.

It has an extremely short half life which means it will be very difficult to taper off from.

I would cross over gradually to either its equivalent in klonopin or valium

http://www.benzo.org.uk/bzequiv.htm

Then when stable, I would begin the taper.

I'm more in favour of the daily taper, because, suffering is not inevitable or near inevitable in a daily taper.

I started with the ashton taper and could not cope with it, so started on the daily taper, and, not only am I coping better, but I am losing more benzo than I would otherwise.

I have also been on and off Zolpidem for 8+ years, went on and off many times without issues but most recent 6 month term of use has brought on depression/anxiety which I treated with Xanax during the day now have a problem with both. Take it easy...

Hi,

I would NOT switch from Ambien to a true benzo....doesnt make sense to me.

There are tapers written for Z drugs, and I would check them out.

I was on Ambien for 12 years, and tapered off it as best as I could. Because I was also cold turky-ing off Klonapin, I have no idea what symptoms were caused by what drug. However, in what Ive read, the withdrawal off a Z drug is not as likely to cause the possible LONG withdrawal from a benzo.

You say "ASAP" - whats the rush?

eastcoast