epilepsy/withdrawal

[sa...]

Okay,

So I have been on temazepam 30 mg for 2 1/2 years, wanting to withdrawal..  I have epilepsy and also take 1500mg of keppra everyday. My neurologist put me on a tapering plan to decrease my temazepam 7.5 mg every 2 weeks, afterreading aabout it I was so nervous, so I scheduled another appointment with him today, and he reaffirmed that this taper plan is safe and OK. However I'm still not sure he knows enough about benzos to be confident that this taper is totally safe. Help!!!! Is it too fast?!?

Hi,

The generally recommended rate of withdrawal is 5/10% every 10/14 days.  If I'm reading your doctor's taper schedule correctly, he's recommending 25% the first 14 days, and much more than that, percentage-wise, each time thereafter.  It's not uncommon for doctors to recommend fast tapers, but hopefully you can discuss this with him and slow it down a little.

Since you have epilepsy, it is important that your doctor knows what you are doing, of course.  Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

:smitten:

megan

Rubber duck!! Thanks so much for the link, how interesting I have a doctors appointment tomorrow, maybe I'll have them check my levels! Keep in touch!!

-sarah