Treatment of Sinus Infection

[be...]

[be...]

Hey all.

Ok, well, I've resolved myself to the fact that this is a sinus infection I have. I get them too often than I care too and I'm 100% positive I'm going to have to head to the doctor tomorrow.

Question is, has anyone here successfully treated a sinus infection without antibiotics? Every time I take antibiotics, it screws me up anxiety-wise and given the state I am with this taper, I don't think I want to go that route. I'm just wondering if there are any good options out there that don't involve anti-bs.

I'm currently using a neti pot to rinse my sinus cavity, as well as taking ibuprofen.

Thanks.

Pete

[be...]

Nevermind. I went to the doctor today and got something called Azithromyacin and am supposed to take it for five days. I'm thrilled.

Is this a bad antibiotic for this? I know cipro can be troublesome, so any advice here?

-Pete

Hi Petey,

As far as I know, Azithro is fine, as long as you don't have an allergy to it.   

It's the quinolone class which can cause problems, which include Avelox (moxifloxacin), Cipro (ciprofloxacin), Factive (gemifloxacin), Floxin (ofloxacin), Levaquin (levofloxacin), Noroxin (norfloxacin), and Tequin (gatifloxacin).

There may be others available outside the states, but I don't know what those are called. 

Linda  :)

Pete,

I just found this old post from Colin about Azithromycin.

Azithromycin is an azalide - I assume you are concerned that it may be a quinolone - it is not.

For more about this drug, try here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azithromycin

I have read of some interaction between Azithromycin and benzos, but I don't know if there is real issue or not. What I've read suggests that Azithromycin interferes with benzodiazepine clearance, so there is a potential issue at least.

I just did a little research on my own and what I could find was that only one benzo, triazolam, might be a problem with azithro. It just says it may increase triazolam blood level. But does not mention any other benzo.

Just see how it goes. If you have problems with it, stop it and let your doc know.

• 1 month later...
I used to have chronic sinus infections; even had surgery for. I've gotten them under control now (no antibiotics in at least 1 1/2 years) by flushing my nose twice daily with a product called Entsol. Entsol is drug free, hypertonic, buffered saline. It's use serves 2 purposes:  removes allergens from the nose and the high saline consentration draws out congestion.  Drawback, the product is expensive ($18/can) but a can lasts me at least a month and a half and I don't get sick.  The other thing I take is Mucinex extended release to keep secretions thin.  Occasionally, I have to take a decongestant put try to avoid that if possible.  Xyletol nasal spray is also helpful. Xyletol supposedly keeps bacteria from sticking to sinus passages.  I get this at the health food store and carry it in my purse when I'm out driving for work appointments.  I've also used oil of orgenano when I feel sinus infections symptoms coming on.

Hi

Well this is interesting to me as I've had an undiagnosed sinusitis infection since November of last year, High wihite blood cell count, but they couldnt figure out what was wrong until I had a damn MRI. Thought I was the one case of PWS on the whole forum. Damn doctors oh well I'll give enstol a shot

Bobers

Good luck.  I't couldn't hurt to give it a try.  I don't think we are supposed to mention commerce websites here but I was able to find consumer product reviews on one of them and that's how I came to find and try Entsol.

• 1 month later...

Hi  :)

I saw this post about sinus infections and wondered if

any of you have had a sinus infection without the congestion?

Only symptom I have is a headache that especially hurts at

the left bridge of my nose, left forehead and is causing teeth and gums to

hurt.

hurt.

I'm not sure that there wasn't some underlying congestion, but my sinus troubles usually manifested in facial and gum pain. Haven't had an actual sinus infection in like 20 years though.

hurt.

Hi Yucky,

Yes this can happen.

I agree with Eljay.  I had chronic sinus problems for four years and my infections varied from severe facial pressure, tooth pain, post-nasal drip and headache.  Sometimes I would only have a headache.  I usually knew it was a sinus infection because when I leaned over the headache would kind of move a bit and intensify.  I also had surgery (my case was severe), use a sinus rinse daily, a nasal steriod and allergy shots.  I think it was Mantis that mentioned Mucinex, which is what my ENT recommends.  It's a little pricey though...you can get the generic brand for much less and it works just as well (not sure where you live, but CVS carries the generic).  Good luck.  Once you get it cleared up you should try a saline rinse daily/two times a day for a few weeks.  If it's not a chronic problem then any time you start to feel like you have an infection you should start rinses and mucinex.

I've been able to purchase Mucinex Extended Release Tablets on Ebay Express for about $20 for 100.  They come sealed and I've never had a problem with them. I usually take one to two per day.  I don't believe that there is an EXTENDED release variety of this medication in generic form.  If anyone has found one, please let me know.   

When I get an early sinus infection, I flush my nose several three to four times daily with Entsol, to brak up the congestion and use at least 1200 mg. Mucinex extended release.   I also find Oil of Oregeno helful (use that subligual) but it is very strong.  It is supposed to have antibiotic properties.

Thanks eljay,cilla and mantis  :)

I was so relieved by your posts.

I am now pretty sure it is sinus cause

the left nose is congested. I will

take some Mucinex and get some of

the saline rinse to have on hand for

future problems.

Yucky

I just googled oil of oregano...sounds like powerful stuff and good for so many ailments.  I'm going to have to try it.  Thanks Mantis.

It's very strong.  I put drops under my tongue but you might need to dilute.  I can tolerate it pretty well now but had to build up to it.  It seems to be great for sinus problems according to what others have told me as well.  There is also nasal spray with Xyletol (can get this at the health food store.) It is a sweetener but as part of a nasal wash it is useful in keeping bacteria from sticking.  The wash I have has normal saline, Xyletol and grapefruit seed extract, the latter another good natural antimicrobial.