Newbie says hello. (scared by posts btw...)

[ty...]

Hello everyone,

My name is Tyler, (for the lack of a better name) and just signed up. I've been taking benzo's for 14 years or so.

(originally prescribed for hyperventilation/panic attacks .....Thanks again Doc! >:()

I'm on 20mg diazepam per day currently, and have no life whatsoever. I need to get off this crapola.

The posts on the site scare the living s*** out of me. I see no "success stories" to speak of. It seems like it's easier to get of CRACK.

I'm afraid of the road ahead and feel like I have to go through HELL for years before I feel better.

Anyway, I'll start my "journey" 2day by taking 17.5mg's per day for 2 weeks. We'll see from there.

This tapering is pretty confusing.

Any suggestions or words of advice are greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

-Tyler

Hi tyler,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies! There is no reason to be scared, if you do a slow and steady taper, you should recover in time. The recommended taper rate is 10% off your total dosage every 7-14 days. Valium is one of the easiest meds to taper from because of its long acting properties. I am including links to the Ashton Manual, which includes all kinds of information and our stepping-off guide. If you have any questions or need more information, we'll be here!

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm

http://www.benzobuddies.org/buddiesguide/tables/stepping-off

T2

The posts on the site scare the living s*** out of me. I see no "success stories" to speak of. It seems like it's easier to get of CRACK.

I'm afraid of the road ahead and feel like I have to go through HELL for years before I feel better.

Hi Tyler and welcome to BenzoBuddies.  Yeah, some post can be pretty scary but that doesn't mean you will go through the same thing others have.  One of the reason you don't see many "success stories" is that people get better and start living life again.  And that is what this forum is all about--reclaiming your life.  But there are success stories here, sometimes you have to read the blogs from start to finish to see how people progress and how the healing occurs.  Jenilyn is one blog where someone has gone to hell and back and is now leading a perfectly normal life, it does happen and it can happen for you, too.

Everyone's taper is different, most have to find out what works the best for them.  As you read around you'll find some cut every 7 days and some every 10-14.  Listen to your body and you'll see what works best for you.

Ts

Hi, Tyler.

I feel your fear.  I still get a little concerned when I read some of the posts but my experience has been generally positive.  I started tapering directly off of lorazepam/ativan in February and have made cuts every 2 weeks. You are lucky that your are on diazepam since that is the benzo which is recommended for tapering because you can make smaller cuts and it has a much longer half-life, making the taper smoother.

You have already done the most important thing:  you have started to taper.  You may be nervous before each cut or it may be so doable that you don't even think about it after a while.  No need to expect bad withdrawal symptoms though there will undoubtedly be bumps in the road. It took me about a month of cutting to get to the point where I stopped worrying about the next cut. 

No matter what you experience, there will be people here to encourage and advise you.  YOU CAN DO IT!  :thumbsup:

Hi Tyler!

I totally understand why you would be scared by the posts here.  So many people are suffering at the hands of these medications.  But the reason these people are here is because they are suffering and are looking for support.  The ones who have healed and gotten their lives back are living life and have forgotten those left behind.  Why am I still here?  Because I am thankful to be alive and so thankful God gave my life back to me.  I am doing very well and want others to know there is life after benzos.  I went to hell and got out alive and well..you will do it too!!

Love,

Jen

I finally got off 3 weeks ago, and so far so good.

The 2.5 cut from 20 mg seems reasonable. We can help to set up a smoother schedule for you if you want. Just let us know.

i had no life either and lost my job and everything. There was no light at the end of any tunnel for me. In fact I saw no tunnel, only darkness. I made it and so can you. I believe that.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: There is hope even thought it's hard to imagine.

Tony

I tyler and welcome to BB! It's a good thing your already on valium. That will make this ride a little more comfortable for you.

Sometimes reading posts here are a little scary but some people have a harder time then others. That doesnt mean you'll go through that!

Beofre I started tapering I had nothing! I couldnt drive, couldnt leave the house without my husband, couldnt take care of my daughter! But as time passed and I started my taper I'm already 110%  better. I drive, take my daughter to the park daily, go shopping and enjoy things I never thought I would again. So though I;m not nearly off the poision I have already started to heal! I have hope that things will only get better and better when I;m off completely.

You can definitely do this! Take it slow and easy and you'll be fine.

Amanda  :smitten: