Xanax-Neuropathy

[Ti...]

I would greatly appreciate any insight that anyone can share about Xanax and peripheral neuropathy type symptoms.

I had been taking .5 mg xanax for sleep for 7 years. The dosage was the same as originally prescribed.

In February of this year I started experiencing neuropathy like symptoms, first in my legs, then in my feet, and then to my hands and wrists. The pain is all of the normal sensory type symptoms that are listed for a sensory neuropathy.

I had a major medical institution do a full "over the top" exam, and they were not able to find a cause. In fact they said that I do not even have a neuropathy because they are not able to find any nerve damage. They now only want to treat the pain.

My brother found this site and said that xanax tolerance withdrawal may be the cause.

I have since tapered off of the xanax, so I am 100% off of it, and the neuropathy symptoms remain. My symptoms change a lot and move from hot to freezing cold, right foot to left foot, leg to foot, hand to leg, then sometimes to all of them...nothing is constant.

Any thoughts, opinions or insight would be appreciated!!

Hello Tinks :hug:

Welcome to benzobuddies, The problem with benzodiazepines is that at some point they become ineffective at the present dose. This is called tolerance, when your body needs more to achieve the original effect.  It is not so much a matter of addiction, but of dependence. Your body becomes dependent physically due to the changes that these medications make to the central nervous system.

I think your best option is to taper slowly off these meds. You will get plenty of support here, members have been through all aspects of benzodiazepine use and withdrawal and are more than willing to share their experiences. If you could read through Professor Ashtons Manual you will find It is a valuable resource for learning about benzos and how to taper off them, the general rule of thumb is to reduce between 5/10% every 10/14 days

Please feel free to check out the forum and post to any of the dedicated boards, you'll find a great community of people who are here to support and encourage you. You might also like to check out this Xanax Support Blog we have a lot of knowledgeable members here who know what your going through and will give sound advice.

Here is a link to the  General Taper Plans  and If you would be so kind as to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice this link will show you how to Create a signature

Please let us know If you have any questions.

Welcome Aboard

Magrita

Hi Tinks.  Welcome.  I have read about Xanax induced neuropathy.  However, this is often at substantial doses (considerably higher than the modest dose of 0.5 per day).  But this is not to say that there couldn't be some exceptions.  I am not a doctor so I can't say.  How long have you been off the xanax? 

I have been off of the xanax since April 1st. I had taken the .5 mg of xanax for 7 years.

Thanks....

Hello Tinks.

Many here report that some of the side-effects produced by Benzos, both physical and mental, continue long after the offending drug is withdrawn...sometimes months, occasionally years.

Recovery depends upon the upregulation of GABA receptors in the brain and body and this takes time. You are only six weeks "out" after seven years use.

Given your nerves are intact your symptoms could originate centrally...with down regulated GABA receptors. That might explain their variability in terms of site and sensation.

Regards,

spartacus

Hi Tinks,

I just want to say good job!

After reading hundreds of stories on this site it seems that what you are going through is totally normal.

Just hang in there and you will heal.