Akasthesia

Last year I went though severe withdrawals.  I was on an anti-psycotic, Lamactil, which there was no reason for me to be on.

I was on Lamactil for about 3 months.  I had akathesia trying to get off it.  But, I did not realize it WAS Akasthesia.

I was looking at information about akasthesia.  This is the sensation that you cannot sit still and need to constantly move. 

Well guess what?  Akastesia is caused by:  DRUGS.  Plain and simple.  It is exceedingly rare outside of the "people on drugs" world.  It is a reaction to neurotoxicity.  This is a medical condition that has its cause from DRUGS.  It just doesn't happen outside of that.

This infuriates me.  FIRST, DO NO HARM! 

I hear you. 

Last fall, I was experiencing an abrubt and acute situation of delusional thoughts after a very stressful breakup.  I went to the ER and they filled me up with a very moderate amount of neuroleptics.  I developed that horrible akathisia and from them and tolerated it about a month, before going back to the hospital.  They lowered the antipsychotic and put me on clonazepam and benztropine. 

The akathisia has stopped for me, (and I hope it never returns), but I remember clearly what hell it was.  I hope it resolves for you soon as well.

First do no Harm, the First Principle of the Hippocrates Oath...funny how the first and most important principle they have forgotten, huh? >:(

they are adverizing a med on tv now and when they go thru side effects its downright SCARY.

not worth taking.

Akathesia is one :tickedoff:

This symptoms is so horrible! When I get it, I just feel like jumping off a roof or doing anything to just die and have it stop. Glad I don't have it anymore. You can even get this symptom from nausea medication

I had it severely 2 month ago when I tried Taurine a mood calming supplement from the healthy food store.  I tried Taurine 2 nights in a row and kicked violently all night long.

But that said I was also weening myself off Lamactil.

Molly :smitten:

Pardon me if it may appear that I'm ignorant, but I think its not the taurine, perhaps the lamactil?

I know Dave but it only happen those 2 nights I took the taurine...maybe there was an interaction between the 2 drugs, idk  but I'm off both now.. :thumbsup:

Molly :smitten: