For One Night - Seroquel?

[mu...]

I was taking 1mg of Klonopin at bedtime for sleep (*not* prescribed) since last November and I ran out this April 11th (CT)....so it's been a month and I still can't sleep. A friend gave me a 100mg Seroquel tablet and told me that I could divide it into quarters and that one of them would knock me out.

I've done quite a bit of read since, and have been too afraid to try it.

I know that 25 mg is often prescribed for occasional insomnia and that many people report that it works well for them.

Please understand -  I know that no responsible person is going to advise me to take a drug like that and that most would tell me to see a doctor, but I don't have the money to see a doc now.

What I really want to know is: is there really a significant risk of a seizure from such a small dose? And with me being a month into CT from the benzo?

I'm just desperate for some sleep. Really desperate.

I had one last night and didn't fall asleep at all. Just have a drugged feeling and metallic taste in my mouth... But had onfbthe other night and got 4hrs. Up to you..?

I took 25 mg for two nights, I was so desperate, and it worked. Then I could not stand it so I switched to zzz quil. That has alcohol, hitch is not a good idea, but better than zero sleep. My sleep returned suddenly at six weeks. For others it gradually comes back, but it always returns. Try to only use the drugs for a short period so your body can relearn on it's own how to sleep but I would suggest a drug if you continue not to sleep. I was so desperate, so i understand how you feel. It will return in time  :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the replies!

I tried 25 mg last night - it knocked me right out but I was awake in 4 hours or so, then I *think* I drifted in and out of something akin to sleep for a few more hours....

I'd like to try 50 mg, but I'm concerned about being too groggy to drive to work tomorrow....

Question for gettingthere:

Did you use the zzz quil every night until your sleep returned or did you just use it intermittently?

Wouldn't a sedating antihistamine (such as hydroxyzine) be a better and safer bet than a neuroleptic like Seroquel?

I have been taking Seroquel for sleep for over a month and I am not impressed. I am also thoroughly disgusted with myself for takiong something so dangerous and scary to withdraw from. Im really in a quandary about what to do about it. I had gone over 7 monthes on little or not sleep and was truly desperate. Vistaril and every other possible non-benzo was tried and did not help.

None of the supplements, herbals and OTC stuff did a darn thing. So - in desperation I started taking it and the dose had to be increased and it still isnt helping much.

Please, dont follow in my footsteps.

Before going on it I had sort of become resigned to the fact that sleep and I just werent friends right now. I knew I had to learn all over, how to go to sleep without a drug. And I gave in. Blah!

east

Wouldn't a sedating antihistamine (such as hydroxyzine) be a better and safer bet than a neuroleptic like Seroquel?

For sure. But Vistaril just won't put me out. The only time it's possibly done anything for me was when it was given as part of a "cocktail" for opiate withdrawal:

Vistaril

Robaxin (methocarbamol)

Clonidine

Phenobarbitol

Ibuprofen

I have been taking Seroquel for sleep for over a month and I am not impressed. I am also thoroughly disgusted with myself for takiong something so dangerous and scary to withdraw from. Im really in a quandary about what to do about it. I had gone over 7 monthes on little or not sleep and was truly desperate. Vistaril and every other possible non-benzo was tried and did not help.

None of the supplements, herbals and OTC stuff did a darn thing. So - in desperation I started taking it and the dose had to be increased and it still isnt helping much.

Please, dont follow in my footsteps.

Before going on it I had sort of become resigned to the fact that sleep and I just werent friends right now. I knew I had to learn all over, how to go to sleep without a drug. And I gave in. Blah!

east

Thanks for posting.

I won't take this warning lightly.

I don't know if I'd be in better shape today had I not taken the Seroquel - even though I got a little sleep (not nearly enough), I feel.....very zombied-out and it's mid-afternoon.

What dosage(s) have you been using?

East, don't feel like they about yourself, although I totally understand what you mean. I got through 8 months and had one. I felt the same.. But nobody has any right to judge till they have been here, been up for a bloody week!! You are not weak at all, you are sick and desperate for rest. Don't bento hard on yourself. Getting off it will be easy compared to benzo withdrawal. I had one the other night and no sleep at all so won't bother again..

How many nights can I get away with taking this stuff before I'm dependent?

Getting close to bedtime and I just dread it..... :(

I used it every night for three weeks and then I stopped and I was able to sleep. Sleep returned early for me compared to most.

MissMoo, thank you for the sweet words. I know Im being hard on myself. But I am scared! I shouldnt have done it but today I read a little about the withdrawal...not good to read. I am tosssing over the idea of tapering off in the near future. I see the NP next week, and HAD thought to ask for a dose increase...am now having serious second thoughts.

MY GP does not approve of the tricyclics, those AD's so many benzo wise docs use for sleep and depression. He told me if I got the NP to prescribe it, he would "not be happy". I know he means well. But feel resentful. I wonder if he has ever gone monthes on little to no sleep?!?

If only something else "safe" had worked for me! I know - time is the real healer for insomnia. I know this but  feel like I cannot wait that long. Its as if I have forgotten HOW to sleep, how to relax ebnough to fall asleep....Insomnia was why I started taking benzos in the first place. I do not want to get so desperate I am tempted to take them again. Maybe that is my real and deepest fear...? I dont know. But even taking 100mgs of Seroquel, I am having broken, shortened sleep.

I guess I need another pep talk!

east

That's the thing.......it always starts out with "one night".  Seroquel, been there done that, wish I hadn't.  Bad idea.  Really bad idea. 

That's the thing.......it always starts out with "one night".  Seroquel, been there done that, wish I hadn't.  Bad idea.  Really bad idea.

I'm terrified of getting reliant on seroquel. Last night would have been my 3rd night on it, but I elected to instead just try melatonin. It didn't do much...got a few hours sleep...don't know what I'll do tonight but it's not going to be seroquel again  - only for emergency use....