New Here

[ha...]

I've been a member on this sight for a little while now, but this is my first post.

I have been on Ativan for a little over a year now. It started after my fiance was taken from me in a car accident. My GP perscribed me Ativan in order to help getting through the court appearences, insominia, rage, panic attacks, etc, etc-I was a complete basket case.

At first, I took the Ativan very responsibly. The first time I took it I just remember saying to my friend how this was the first time in months I had felt normal. I couldn't tell you what my original dose was-the DR told me to "play around" with it until I found what made me feel ok.

Fast foward a couple of months, no more Ativan, but I took up the nasty habit of drinking for the first time in my life. Dr. put me on Zoloft and Ativan. I was only supposed to take 2mg of Ativan everyday, but couldn't deal with the morning dose-so I took 1. The only thing is that I halved my dose, but doubled the length of time I was supposed to be on it. (Hmmm, I didn't think about THAT at the time)

I've tried to half my dose (and did some reading here tonight and can understand why, first hand, that is not recommended.) The last few days I have been one angry little puddle of tears that has a constant headache and tummy ache and some bad thoughts. I broke down and took my usual dose.

So, how do you know when it's the right time to taper? I was never a drinker, but did indulge in some other activities before my fiance was killed. Could I just be destined to be stuck with a monkey on my back?

If you've made it this far-thanks for reading.

I just want to feel normal again.

And I apologise if this is not the right forum to discuss all this.

Hi Hartscar,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies! You have come to the right place and there are many here that can help you. I have a couple of questions. Are you still taking the Zoloft and at what dose? What is your dose of Ativan now and what size pills do you have? And not to be a killjoy or anything, but if you begin to do a sensible taper from Ativan, it is not recommended that you mix alcohol with it. It is usually recommended to taper at 10% of your total dose every 7-14 days. Slow and steady wins the race! Hang in there.

T2 :smitten:

No, no alcohol with Ativan! I think that was one of the reasons my dr put me on it-kinda gave me a "time out" from the drinking. I am on 100 mg of Zoloft.

I'd add that info to my signature line if I knew how.

I'd add that info to my signature line if I knew how.

Just go to "profile" above, go to "Forum Profile Information", scroll down and add to signature line.  ;)

Hi,

I am so sorry about your fiance.  :(

And no, you are not destined to live with the monkey.

The right time to taper is when you are ready.

Let us know!

Take care, Linda

I am also very sorry about your fiance.  You do not need to live with a "monkey" on your back.  You can be free of benzos and alcohol...if that's what you want.  I think if things are starting to concern you...it's time to taper off.  Only you know for sure...and only you can make that decision.  We are here for you if you decide to get off this poison!

Love,

Jen