Ziprasidone (Geodon) to Valium substitution

[...]

.0[/url].

hi colin....

Do you know the cross over for geodon? I take 40mg

I am down to 6.25 mg of ambien first dose this evening hopefully wont have any problems but will see.

I think that the geodon is stronger than the ambien but don't know for sure...

thanks for your help

bizi

I am sorry I was not clear Colin.

I know that geodon is a powerful tranquilizer of sorts. It is an atypical...works on the same receptor sites as a benzo right?

HOw would I go about tapering off the geodon?

What is the crossover rate/dose?

I learned from here that my ambien, 10mg equals .25mg klonipin...

the smallest dose (i think)for geodon is 20mg...

I take 40mg.

thank you

I think that is clearer...let me know if not. :)

bizi

I'll see if I can dig up any figures from anywhere. I don't have a suggested equivalent dose to hand.

Hi bizi,

Geodon is not related to benzos in any way, so you can't cross over from it to valium or any other benzo for the purpose of tapering. It is an atypical antipsychotic which works on the dopamine and serotonin receptors. Benzos work on the GABA receptors.

It should be tapered though, I think it comes in capsules, not sure if it comes in tablets. Try and get the lowest dose capsule. You may be able to open them up and split them, but you should ask a pharmacist if this is doable. 

Linda  :)

Ziprasidone's antagonism of histamine H1 receptors may explain the somnolence observed with this drug.

From experience I know that geodon is very sedating and have always heard that it is a major tranquilizer so I assumed it worked on gaba sites as well.

I should have looked it up, thanks.

bizi

Ziprasidone's antagonism of histamine H1 receptors may explain the somnolence observed with this drug.

Yeah, it's similar to seroquel, which is also an atypical. I was on that one for severe insomnia. They are like super-duper antihistamines! When I tapered from seroquel, I was on 100mg, and reduced by 25mg (25%) every two weeks. Did ok with that.

Find out about opening the capsules. I think it would be ok.

Hi bizi,

Geodon is not related to benzos in any way, so you can't cross over from it to valium or any other benzo for the purpose of tapering. It is an atypical antipsychotic which works on the dopamine and serotonin receptors. Benzos work on the GABA receptors.

It should be tapered though, I think it comes in capsules, not sure if it comes in tablets. Try and get the lowest dose capsule. You may be able to open them up and split them, but you should ask a pharmacist if this is doable. 

Linda  :)

Hi,

Linda, Ziprasidone is a newer z-drug. I cannot recall any other member taking it, but there is no reason, that I'm aware of, why an equivalent dose of Valium cannot be determined, such as exists for other z-drugs. I've not had a chance to look into this yet. It might be the case that there is no equivalent dose recommended by a reliable source.

Yeah, it's similar to seroquel, which is also an atypical. I was on that one for severe insomnia. They are like super-duper antihistamines! When I tapered from seroquel, I was on 100mg, and reduced by 25mg (25%) every two weeks. Did ok with that.

Find out about opening the capsules. I think it would be ok.

Hi again,

I didn't see the above post. Clearly, we need to look into this.

Hi!

Geodon (ziprasidone) is an  antipsychotic ( a newer one, like seroquel). It's action is the inhibition of dopamine and serotonin 5-HT2 receptors (histamine receptors).  It's mostly used to control schizophrenia and bipolar mania.

But they (Geodon and seroquel) are  given off-label in smaller doses as a general sedative, for anxiety or insomnia. Seems like kind of an overkill drug for that, but for me, nothing else would touch my insomnia until I had the seroquel/klon combo. Seroquel was pretty easy for me to get off of. It may depend on amount or duration though, as to how easy or difficult it is.

Maybe there is a new z-drug with a sound-alike name?

How are you sleeping now?

bizi

Oh, sorry Bizi, I missed this. I am drug free and sleeping great. It's been a struggle though. You'll see my quit dates in my sig below.

Just a caveat though, I have recently started bioidentical hormones, so this may be why I am sleeping so well. It was the reason I went on them. I am 48 and was in hormonal decline. After two months on this stuff, I feel like I am 17 again, lol!   

Hi eljay,

I am right there with you, turned 45 on january 1st....I am a new years twin.

anyway, could you share with me your story if you have time...

ARe you bipolar 1 or 2 or other?

HOw did you deal with not sleeping?

thanks

bizi

Hi!

Geodon (ziprasidone) is an  antipsychotic ( a newer one, like seroquel). It's action is the inhibition of dopamine and serotonin 5-HT2 receptors (histamine receptors).  It's mostly used to control schizophrenia and bipolar mania.

But they (Geodon and seroquel) are  given off-label in smaller doses as a general sedative, for anxiety or insomnia. Seems like kind of an overkill drug for that, but for me, nothing else would touch my insomnia until I had the seroquel/klon combo. Seroquel was pretty easy for me to get off of. It may depend on amount or duration though, as to how easy or difficult it is.

Maybe there is a new z-drug with a sound-alike name?

I'm not sure what I was thinking of now - maybe Zopiclone. :(

bioidentical hormones,

I will have to look into that.

sorry about the mis label....I post on several forums and forgot where I was... :idiot:

I will see if colin is able to dig up a crossover for the geodon.

thanks for your replies...I appreciate that.

bizi

bioidentical hormones,

I will have to look into that.

sorry about the mis label....I post on several forums and forgot where I was... :idiot:

thanks for your replies...I appreciate that.

bizi

Hi,

As I said, I don't know what I was thinking - probably Zopiclone, not Ziprasidone. As far as I know, a benzo will not substitute for Ziprasidone.

Bizi, if you can split your capsule contents, I really think you can taper directly from the geodon. I'll call the pharmacist today and ask about that. I'll let you know. You could even do a liquid titration that way, if needed.

biohrt.com has tons of good info on perimeno/meno symptoms, and bioidentical hormones.  ;)

thanks colin,

I guess if geodon is a super dooper antihistamine than perhaps

I don't need to worry about it.

thanks again for this wonderful forum....you guys do an amzing job here.

bizi

thanks colin,

I guess if geodon is a super dooper antihistamine than perhaps

I don't need to worry about it.

Well, it's a little bit more than just a strong antihistamine! It is a serious psych med. Let me call the pharmacist right now.

Hi Bizi,

I just called two different pharmacists re: opening the geodon capsule. The first one said an emphatic no. The second one said, since it is not a time-release drug, it shouldn't be problem.  ::)

I would suggest you ask your doc.

thank you eljay....

that was very very kind of you to call the pharmacist for me...

golly I should have done that.

You have shown me a great coutesy here.

thank you

bizi