Benzo Free since 2010

[...]

I'm returning to this forum to try to help others out! I'm a success story! I have been "benzo-free" since 2010. Going on 3 years. You can ALL do this!!!

I started on Xanax on July 21st, 2008 just 5 days after my dad's suicide. It was my first ever panic attack. It was a few hours before his funeral and I thought I was having a stroke. My mom called the doctor, and they got me some Xanax from the pharmacy. I took Xanax as needed, only low doses (1mg) for about 6 months.

I then began having paranoia before bedtime that my dad's ghost was going to show up at my door of my bedroom (totally effed up, I know). They put me on Klonopin before bed. Only starting at .25 and then .5 mg, but still.

I took the Klonopin for a few months and started getting interdose withdrawals. My options were to go UP or go OFF. I came to this forum and got advice, and I was off of it in about 90 days, using water titration. Even after being completely off the benzos, I would say I had another 3-6 months of dx symptoms. Well worth it though!!!

My withdrawal was horrible, BUT I would say that I'm withdrawal free at this time. I DO suffer from bad anxiety still and panic attacks, but I'd rather feel the panic than how I felt with the interdose withdrawals and dx symptoms.

Any specific questions?

Congratulations Tara,http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa351/margarita1959/congrats-5-1.gif that's wonderful news to be symptom free.

Thank you for taking the time to come back and post.

((hugs))

Magrita :smitten:

Congrats Tara. So happy you are off the benzos and have been for awhile. Would you say that you were healed within about 6- 9 months of stopping both xanex and kalonapin? I have been free of benzos for 6.1 weeks and look forward for all of my symptoms to take a hike. I have made great improvements, but still have uncomfortable symptoms.

I am still on ADs. I just switched from Effexor 225mg to Lexapro 20mg a few months ago. I like the lexapro better but I think the Effexor did better with my panic attacks. Overall I like the Lexapro better though, less side effects.

I'm not sure exactly when my symptoms went away completely, I do know it was quite a while... maybe a year?

I do not think I have any food sensitivities. What kinds were you referring to?