Tapering Slowly and Starting to see some W/D Again

So, I had been stepping down 2/10's of a mg every week from 5mg/day Valium to 4.2mg/day. That is when I hit a big wall. I had to updose to 4.4 for TWO weeks and manage my taper on a two week schedule.

So, I am 9 days into 4.2 mg/day and I have just started to see a return of my IBS. I also find that I am irritable and angry (I keep a journal and a spreadsheet so my records are impeccable).

I have heard that this is normal and will fade in a few days. I am also aware that everyone is different. So, the question is:

On average, how long does the W/D last during tapers? Can I expect a couple of bad days and then back to feeling "semi-normal"?

At this rate, I won't be free till Feb of 09 but it would be worth it if I knew that the symptoms will fade during particularly difficulty cuts within a few days.

I remember, back in February that I went C/T for almost a month. When W/D hit, it was so bad that I had to go back to 5mg/day. I hated that.

I hated that because, for a brief period, I found life to be more colorful, fulfilling and there were other added attraction. I found that I had the libido of a 16 year old (I am 46). This was amazing. I hope to be able to feel that again and not suffer too badly over the next year.

So, what have you guys seen in terms of W/D symptoms during "cuts"? Length of time, severity, etc...

Much Thanks,

Bernie

Hi Riz,

Withdrawal experiences for everyone is different. Some have them the first two to three days after a cut, some have them hit 5 to 7 days into one, and some 7 to 10 days. On top of that, they can be different from one cut to another. My latest cuts are clearing around 9 or 10 days, not to say they are bad that whole time, but not feeling "normal". Then by day 9 and 10, I begin to feel quite normal and then it's time to cut again. I have had IBS problems off and on since tapering and they last about 2-4 days. I am tapering klono, so I'm not sure the s/x and w/d effects are the same.

T2 :smitten:

There really is no such thing as "average" I'm afraid. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I am constantly having to remember that my experience won't necessarily represent what someone else will go through. Even, from one cut to another it can be very different, I wish I had better news for you.

I do understand that everyone is different. I am surprised to realize that EACH cut can be different.

As for the IBS, adding additional Metamucil to my diet seems to work a bit.

I just keep looking forward to the day I am free and actually FEELING life!!!!!

[1c...]

I do understand that everyone is different. I am surprised to realize that EACH cut can be different.

As for the IBS, adding additional Metamucil to my diet seems to work a bit.

I just keep looking forward to the day I am free and actually FEELING life!!!!!

Metamucil works wonders for IBS! I used to use it, but have switched my fiber intake, making it less necessary for me.

As for how the cuts work, I hear ya. Each cut has been unique to me so far, with the only exception being which days are going to be the worst. It's as if each cut brings out a different damn symptom! Pisses me off, to be honest!  :tickedoff: In the same respect, the symptoms seem to pass (though they do return a little bit, I've noticed...).

Good luck with your taper!! :)

-Pete